CAR I'm planning on riding my motorcycle from Alaska to Argentina

flocc-boi

Sep 16, 2017
My number one piece of advice would be to take as many Spanish classes as you can, community colleges, 1 on 1 classes, etc

Maybe stop in La Paz, baja and take a few weeks of classes before shipping across the sea of Cortez to mazatalan, then continuing on to Veracruz across the country

Even having a basic grip on communication will IMMENSELY change your trip, more important than anything else you do

good to know. I've got a bit of spanish from high school but yeah, been meaning to get better at it. I'm sure it'll be an ongoing process. I'm not too worried about the language barrier since I'm used to traveling in countries where I speak zero of their language and virtually nobody speaks english. Doesn't mean I shouldn't learn more spanish. Hell, it'll be nice to focus on one language for an extended period of time instead of learning russian, then turkish, then arabic, for a little bit at a time and not getting good at any of them

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
good to know. I've got a bit of spanish from high school but yeah, been meaning to get better at it. I'm sure it'll be an ongoing process. I'm not too worried about the language barrier since I'm used to traveling in countries where I speak zero of their language and virtually nobody speaks english. Doesn't mean I shouldn't learn more spanish. Hell, it'll be nice to focus on one language for an extended period of time instead of learning russian, then turkish, then arabic, for a little bit at a time and not getting good at any of them
It's a Game changer and since you can use it across the 2 entire continents it is actually worth learning vs some of the isolated languages of other counties

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
cheers man

I'm still traveling the middle east for the time being, not sure when I'll be looking to start the panam or if even that'll be my next big trip, but it's good to get some knowledge early
Nice! We are brainstorming our next trip now. Thinking of taking the Queen Mary across from New York to Southampton, England, buying another overland vehicle and continuing traveling through Europe/Asia/Africa, spending the next ~6 months living down here in a Loreto, Baja while we save and plan

flocc-boi

Sep 16, 2017
Nice! We are brainstorming our next trip now. Thinking of taking the Queen Mary across from New York to Southampton, England, buying another overland vehicle and continuing traveling through Europe/Asia/Africa, spending the next ~6 months living down here in a Loreto, Baja while we save and plan

what's your citizenship? Have you done any research into buying a vehicle in europe? That's something I wanna do as well, find a way to get a motorcycle on this side of the world, but seems like a bureaucratic hassle to get registration, plates, and insurance (research is not my forte as I like to just show up in places, so there might be an easier answer out there)

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
what's your citizenship? Have you done any research into buying a vehicle in europe? That's something I wanna do as well, find a way to get a motorcycle on this side of the world, but seems like a bureaucratic hassle to get registration, plates, and insurance (research is not my forte as I like to just show up in places, so there might be an easier answer out there)
US citizen, it is a pain to buy foreign but it is certainly possible, helps greatly if you have a friend who will let you register the vehicle at their address

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
http://wikioverland.org is a good source of info for the logistics, run by my buddy Dan Grec, the fellow who inspired my travels long ago

Reactions: BigT and flocc-boi

flocc-boi

Sep 16, 2017
http://wikioverland.org is a good source of info for the logistics, run by my buddy Dan Grec, the fellow who inspired my travels long ago

sweet, good to know. That's the problem, right, is too many goddamn options. I always figured if I was gonna do Africa on a bike it was gonna be cairo to capetown, but now I'm looking at morroco down the west coast and that's just as appealing. And of course I wanna paddle around pretty much everywhere in europe again if I can get my own two wheels :run:

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
sweet, good to know. That's the problem, right, is too many goddamn options. I always figured if I was gonna do Africa on a bike it was gonna be cairo to capetown, but now I'm looking at morroco down the west coast and that's just as appealing. And of course I wanna paddle around pretty much everywhere in europe again if I can get my own two wheels :run:
Tis the problem, it's a big world out there and I wanna see it all

brackac

Activate Lurker Mode!
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2001
sounds pretty gangster, I'd like to drive from my house in AL up to Alaska and back but I can't take that much time off work, and especially not in a feasible time frame where roads are actually open to do so.

I’ve done El Paso TX to Fairbanks AK in 14 days and Fairbanks AK to Pensacola FL in 17 days. Amazing drives.

Reactions: GBlansten

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448