GUN I'm thinking about enlisting in the Army

Kittah Pantz

Dec 14, 2008
Baltimore
I'm curious to know a few things before I give my info up to a recruiter.
I've heard that you can start out ranked higher if you have college credits or a degree. I have an AA degree, so what would I start as?

ggr12

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
NoCo
if you can't read through that page and find the information you seek then don't bother. It's within the first 20 topics :ugh:

TS
TS
Kittah Pantz

Kittah Pantz

Dec 14, 2008
Baltimore
Some of the information contradicts itself. One page says you can become an E-4 if I have over 30 credits, another says I need a Bachelors degree. This is exactly why I'm asking on here not looking at these pages.

Ninja

OT Supporter
Oct 15, 2002
UK
I'm curious to know a few things before I give my info up to a recruiter.
I've heard that you can start out ranked higher if you have college credits or a degree. I have an AA degree, so what would I start as?

Finish getting your bachelors degree then go OCS and become an officer.

TS
TS
Kittah Pantz

Kittah Pantz

Dec 14, 2008
Baltimore
Finish getting your bachelors degree then go OCS and become an officer.
Because my degree was specialized in veterinary technology I basically have to start all over to get a bachelors. I want to do 68T as my MOS.

i would recommend this depending on what he/she wants out of the military
there are some things you cant get as an officer or it comes much later on and most of the time watered down
I really don't want to be a Veterinarian as the Army

over 30 credits you'll come in as E2, over i think 60 you'll come in as E3.
Yeah I have 70 or 72, I don't remember.

shiba

Feb 10, 2006
Do you need a bachelors to go OCS? I thought you can get in with an associates. And once you hit O-3 you get a chance to finish up your bachelors.

I know in the Guard you have the option of becoming an officer with an associates with an intent on getting your bachaelors. Once you get commissioned, you have 2 years to get your degree.

shiba

Feb 10, 2006
OP, Im not sure if an associates degree will qualifiy for anything, maybe points to get you E3 but definitely not E4.

You should pass the APFT first and foremost to achieve the minimum standards the army puts out for passing. That will get you at least to E2 or E3. If you had a Bachaelors degree, you automatically start off as an E4.

TS
TS
Kittah Pantz

Kittah Pantz

Dec 14, 2008
Baltimore
OP, Im not sure if an associates degree will qualifiy for anything, maybe points to get you E3 but definitely not E4.

You should pass the APFT first and foremost to achieve the minimum standards the army puts out for passing. That will get you at least to E2 or E3. If you had a Bachaelors degree, you automatically start off as an E4.
I guess I'll find out the real answer when I go talk to a recruiter.

TS
TS
Kittah Pantz

Kittah Pantz

Dec 14, 2008
Baltimore
three or four years ago, yeah you could go to OCS with an associates, but you also had to have prior enlisted time. I did the street to OCS program so I had to come in with a bachelors

Bottom line do you want to manage Soldiers and sit on the sidelines while they do all of the 'cool shit'. conversely you will sit on the sidelines when they are doing the dumb shit too and think 'thank God I am not doing that shit'

If you enlist Army, your secondary MOS will be landscaping no matter where you go :mamoru:
Fuck that. lulz

tan koi

An AA definitely lets you come in as an E3. The only other benefit you'll get from it is civilian education points when you're up for promotion for E5/E6.

Tdizzle

Jul 1, 2007
Vegas, son.
If you have anything shady in your background be prepared to get denied. I had some medical stuff from back in high school that they normally wouldn't care about, but apparently they are so bombarded with applicants they are being extremely picky. Just called in today and got denied and told to reapply in October during the new fiscal year :wtc:

slukasiewski

May 18, 2011
With an AA degree - you'd probably start off as a Major in the Army.

Just kidding...

Why not go back to college and go the ROTC route? Get the BA/BS degree?

That's what my son is thinking about doing when he starts his sophomore year in the fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Ā© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan