Intel

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by colosodian, Jun 4, 2005.

1. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

welcome to last week... sounds like a rumor.

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

in all likelihood it is a partnership on a chip for an upcoming / upgraded device... e.g. video iPod.

VERY unlikely that Apple is considering switching CPU. Though it wouldn't be that hard to do with OS X (x86 builds have been floating around cupertino forever), the overhead of getting your software makers to convert is simply ridiculous, and it would serve to erode the hardware advantage they have of a platform that is non-competing with run of the mill PC hardware.

I'm tired but you get my point :hs:

4. kilmanjaro

kilmanjaro 6MT

Some believe the talks are only talks and are really to try and motivate IBM to get off its ass and get moving on the mobile/faster G5's.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

chances are that we will never see a mobile g5 -- at least not with the current g5 chips. Something has to happen to reduce power consumption and heat generation.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I tend to agree with this line of thought. Similar things happen every couple of years with Dell here in Austin. Stories come out that they are considering using AMD processors in addition to Intel. Everyone at AMD wets themselves, Intel offers Dell better pricing to keep from losing business, then they come out and say they've decided to stick with Intel only. :greddy:

...so when it came to buy my last two pc's, i sent my business elsewhere.

7. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

God help us all if they use Celerons.

8. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

Is this a joke? :squint:

9. rpark

rpark New Member

No one will pay for a 2000 dollar celeron computer.

10. Laserbeak

I wouldn't even pay $250.00 for a Celeron computer.

11. rpark

rpark New Member

My point exactly, they won't use celerons if they know whats good for them.

12. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

You have to ask though how much money IBM can be making from the G4 or the G5. IBM tends not to hold back on cutting off or selling underperforming divisions to keep their profits up. Just look how they sold off their PC market which they invented. Apple moves maybe 500,000 iMac's and another 200,000 G5's a quarter. Figure another 500,000 G4's through iBooks, PowerBooks, and Mini's and you're looking at a total of 1.4 million to 1.5 million processors from IBM in the 1st quarter this year. That doesn't buy a huge amount of leverage with IBM when Sony and Microsoft can probably move 10-15 million boxes a quarter worldwide between them. Of course this extra revenue for IBM's processor division could significantly help PowerPC's position for future development but it might also reduce the supply of available G5's if IBM spends all their capacity on game consoles. Remember that fab plants can cost over 100 mill these days...especially those pushing 90nm and below.

Dell alone ships almost 9 million computers a quarter and virtually all of them are powered by Intel hardware. IBM may have serious engineering muscle but its hard to argue against Intel's R&D/fab capacity when it's their bread and butter. PC shipments hit about 170 million units per year and IBM powers approximately 6 million of those. In the end it'll be about economics. If Intel/AMD can supply comprable chips for less, you might find a high end Mac pushing a quad AMD 64 setup someday which in itself wouldn't be a bad proposition.

13. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

as low power processors go, i'd think they'd be more likely to use Pentium M's if anything.

...but i don't see any of this stuff really happening.

...though I agree that the Athlon 64's and/or Opterons would be nice.

14. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:love: I hate Dell

15. Laserbeak

[​IMG]

:o

16. Laserbeak

The Pentium M is about the only Intel CPU I have any respect for. The P4 desktop version just feels so...dated IMHO.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, because a 3.6GHz EMT64 is "dated" :rofl:

18. Laserbeak

AMD will always be > Intel for the sheer fact that they are more innovative in terms of their R&D IMO, and you get more bang for the buck.

I know! Let's just keep raising the frequency instead of, gasp, actually putting effort into increasing efficiency and finding a better way to do things across the board first! Sound like a familiar argument to you? :hsugh:

Call me an AMD fanboy if you wish, but I prefer to be able to do the same thing on my computer (if not more) without paying up the ass to support a company's advertising campaign to a general populous that takes everything they hear some random ock (read: salesman) tell them as gospel.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you price out two comprable, high-end machines, Intel and AMD are the same price.

And if you do content creation, you can't beat a P4's performance for the money.

20. Laserbeak

I was looking at more of a business-class computer with a long useful life and low TCO in mind myself.

In the environment I support, the last time we had a heterogenous CPU environment, the AMD desktops outlasted the Intel desktops by a landslide (at least in computer years), were better performing for the money, more responsive to system and hardware optimizations, and more reliable in the long run.

The Intel boxes just don't seem to last very long here before needing upgrades and/or replacements. :sad2:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  21. teh noob

teh noob New Member

I don't think they'll do it. They'll have to make a new Mac OS X that runs on an intel processor... the new OS has only just come out too. Then you'd have two seperate operating systems to look out for... you'd have to make separate software for each one, it would be too much trouble. I doubt it will happen.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If Intel were to make processors for Apple, I'd expect them to make a PowerPC for the next line of Apple notebooks, and I'd expect them to have been working on it for some time... so that they can release within a year.

It will be interesting to see if this actually turns into truth in some form, tomorrow, or is just another bullshit rumor.

23. teh noob

teh noob New Member

Yah, I'm all up for them making a similar processor. It's just, Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to go onto a brand new processor when there have been recent Pbook/iBook/iMac/eMac/Powermac/Mac mini updates... and of course, the new OS.

I read somewhere about usign the PS3 Cell Chip (PPC variation) as the Powerbook G5 processor...

24. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

Well, we'll probably find out about all of this in roughly 23 hours. :anxious:

25. diranged

diranged New Member

OS X has been ported to X86 since day #1... at least the core OS (Darwin) and most of their proprietary GUI. The real trick is driver support and how they will do hardware support. I suspect they may build their own BIOS (or an OpenFirmware for X86) that will be required to boot OSX -- so that people still have to buy THEIR hardware in order to get the OS. Then again, thats OK with me :p