FIT Is it normal to be winded after a deadlift set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BimmerJustin

Why would you deny yourself something you want?
Dec 31, 2000
Fantasyland
I find myself moderately-heavily winded after a set of 10 deadlifts. Is this normal or am i breathing incorrectly?

Carrera

Fat
Jul 19, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
yes its normal. but why sets of 10?

There is something wrong to this? :eek3:

I've been doing sets of ten eversince I've been DLing, but I pyramid my way down as the weight increases. I'm not a PLer, and I do it to tone my legs and gain endurance. Is there something wrong to that tho?

GTLifter

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Durty Durty ATL Niggah
There is something wrong to this? :eek3:

I've been doing sets of ten eversince I've been DLing, but I pyramid my way down as the weight increases. I'm not a PLer, and I do it to tone my legs and gain endurance. Is there something wrong to that tho?
In my personal exeprience form begins to break down on deads around 5 reps and shitty form leads to an increased risk of injury. I have done deads for 10+ reps before but not veyr often.

MaineSucks

Everglades Guy
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2005
I'd say keep the reps in the 5-6 range. Occasionally you get that urge to just keep cranking but its not really a high rep movement IMO

smb is me

May 21, 2008
Tips for better form when DL'ing.
1. Lower reps so form doesn't suffer

But what else do you guys focus on to keep form on point?
Look to the ceiling? (seems like i see lots of good squatters using this technique, work for deads?)

Or anything else you guys got. I know what kinda form i should have, and it feels like i'm using it, but then my buddy will be like, sucky form.

Abomb

Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX
Tips for better form when DL'ing.
1. Lower reps so form doesn't suffer

But what else do you guys focus on to keep form on point?
Look to the ceiling? (seems like i see lots of good squatters using this technique, work for deads?)

Or anything else you guys got. I know what kinda form i should have, and it feels like i'm using it, but then my buddy will be like, sucky form.

ass down, chest up, eyes to the ceiling, drive through the heels are my personal cues.

and make sure your buddy knows what a good deadlift form is also *shrug*

deznutz

Aug 10, 2003
normal.
I usually do 5 sets of 5 reps, double overhand until I can't grip for 1 rep, then use a mix grip for the rest.
also try deadlifting in your socks.

RG

May 4, 2003
Connecticut
normal.
I usually do 5 sets of 5 reps, double overhand until I can't grip for 1 rep, then use a mix grip for the rest.
also try deadlifting in your socks.

why do you do dbl overhand instead of just using either dbl overhand or mixed grip for everything?

RG

May 4, 2003
Connecticut
when you start moving into heavier weight this question will become very very clear to you

i do what is heavy to me now and it's not clear to me...so instead of responding without an answer how about you give me one? what are the benefits of using double overhand for lower weight versus mixed grip for higher instead of just mixed grip for all sets?

TS
TS
BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin

Why would you deny yourself something you want?
Dec 31, 2000
Fantasyland
i do what is heavy to me now and it's not clear to me...so instead of responding without an answer how about you give me one? what are the benefits of using double overhand for lower weight versus mixed grip for higher instead of just mixed grip for all sets?

I use mixed for all sets, but im no expert by any means

Formz

vr6dub can't cook chicken
The real answer is some people say that after using a mixed grip for too long you'll develop a different set of muscles on either side, thus making you imbalanced (looks) and possible twisting while pulling upwards.

For me, however, I've always done mixed grip past 500lbs and there is no twisting and my body has developed just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448