CAR Is it wise to pressure wash the undercarriage of an old car?

8 Ball

I'm taking my ball and I'm going home
Jan 30, 2001
right side corner pocket
It’s filthy under there and I’m going to scrub it down with a wire brush. But I want it CLEAN, so I can spray it down with rust inhibitor. My plan was to pressure wash it then blow dry it with my leaf blower. How do professionals/intelligent people do it?

iballrealanswers

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
I have a related question... I got a bit wreckless with my pressure washer and knocked a little chunk of the factory undercoating off the wheel well of my S2000 so there's some exposed metal in there now. Can you buy that stuff in a can or something? I wouldn't mind covering it back up
find this product near you

Shep762

Sep 2, 2003
Just 909 things
Doubt the ecm/tcm are exposed so you should be gtg. Take it easy around the electrical connectors, ign coils, etc anything electrical

I do this all the time, don't like working on dirty engines :o

WhiteLightning

Be Excellent to each other.
Sep 12, 2001
Northeast
I have a related question... I got a bit wreckless with my pressure washer and knocked a little chunk of the factory undercoating off the wheel well of my S2000 so there's some exposed metal in there now. Can you buy that stuff in a can or something? I wouldn't mind covering it back up

I use POR-15, they typically come in big expensive jugs but they also sell 4-oz containers for tiny jobs. The first time I did it, I went half assed by wire brushing then applying. About a decade later I did it again, this time with the suggested degreaser and metal prep chemicals. Should last decades. There’s a spot on my glasses that I assure you is never ever coming off. My trucks frame should be in one piece until the sun becomes a red giant.

Deleted member 9731

I just want to touch up the spots I blasted off. It's hardly a big deal but I'm super anal taking care of the car lol

View attachment 100725
I used por 15 undercoating spray to touch up a few areas. And to coat over some dirty ass areas that just wouldn't return to a nice black in my wheel wells. It takes forever to dry and is messy but it worked.

Reactions: Boots

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
77 Datsun They are notorious for rust; mines in good shape thou. I can’t drive it cause I removed the gas tank for cleaning.
How are the front strut towers doing? I recall the "Car Wizard" on YouTube remarking that a friend of his had an old Z car and the strut tower had rusted out and crumpled leading him to drive into the side of a moving train and die.

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
I use POR-15, they typically come in big expensive jugs but they also sell 4-oz containers for tiny jobs. The first time I did it, I went half assed by wire brushing then applying. About a decade later I did it again, this time with the suggested degreaser and metal prep chemicals. Should last decades. There’s a spot on my glasses that I assure you is never ever coming off. My trucks frame should be in one piece until the sun becomes a red giant.
I have POR-15ed lots and lots of my old Eldorado. For the trunk, I decided that buying a quart was a good idea after my last 4 OZ can only did a tiny spot.

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
I'm super careful with it and never get close to the paint but had an idiot moment where I was like 'I'm in the wheel well, I can go closer' and then the little bit of undercoating flew off ...oops
If a pressure washer with a normal tip took it off, it was going to come off at some point anyway. Even worse is if had a void in it that trapped crud back behind it.

TS
TS
8 Ball

8 Ball

I'm taking my ball and I'm going home
Jan 30, 2001
right side corner pocket
How are the front strut towers doing? I recall the "Car Wizard" on YouTube remarking that a friend of his had an old Z car and the strut tower had rusted out and crumpled leading him to drive into the side of a moving train and die.
Thanks for that. They’re fine; I just had all four shocks replaced a month ago actually. The cars in really good shape for its age. I’m the 3rd owner, I bought it from the original owner son and the original owner baby’d it and documented everything, including the gas fill ups :rolleyes:

but I want to re-undercoat it before Florida humidity sets back in

Reactions: DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
Thanks for that. They’re fine; I just had all four shocks replaced a month ago actually. The cars in really good shape for its age. I’m the 3rd owner, I bought it from the original owner son and the original owner baby’d it and documented everything, including the gas fill ups :rolleyes:

but I want to re-undercoat it before Florida humidity sets back in
Lol at recording fill ups. But also a good sign of great care.

popey

OT Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
don't places do like a steam cleaning or dry ice thing? or you trying to DIY it?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026