Is there any reason to actually purchase turbotax software?

JZA

OT's #1 Wu Fan
Oct 21, 2004
PHX
Can't you just go to turbotax.com or the iPad app?? Why would I spend $40 for the software?

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
i pay $200 for turbotax

the different versions offer more if you have a business/self employed

plus audit defense and all the other upsell shit they try to get you for
Do they only sell that as software (CD or download code?)

I've only bought it that way, but I'd think you should be able to offer the same options online :dunno:

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I've never used it, but I would think they could just make the same options available online, no? :dunno:
I've done it all online, but some of the tax changes that didnt apply in 2019 (home office/itemized deductions for W2) needed me to download the software and manually remove those forms from my return, since it automatically carries over as much info as it can from the previous year. Otherwise, yes, you can do even the more complex stuff online.

Reactions: turbo35

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
if you’re old or you don’t have an internet connection, but yes, it’s the same.

there’s a code inside that associates the purchase with your online account. From there, you can just do it on the website.

I think the software you install (if you want to) uses Electron and it’s just a stylized browser that loads turbotax and falls back to local data if you don’t have a connection.

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
not unless you have a situation that warrants double-checking your work to guarantee there isn't more you should do.

I did Deluxe Online this year @ 40 for Federal because I sold a house and wanted to make sure I wasn't fucking up. I could've gotten away w/ free and not entered that I sold the house at all. But meh. Deluxe reminded me about deductions via donations I made in 2020 that allowed for me not to owe on state.

I did Deluxe Online years past while I had the house as I deducted mortgage insurance and other house shit and it ended up a better return.

but nowadays w/ the new personal deductions being so high at 12,400 really only reason not to go free, is if you have some situation that warrants it. like expenditures you want as deductions. that type of shit.

turbo35

haters gonna hate
May 8, 2001
Seattle-ish, WA
not unless you have a situation that warrants double-checking your work to guarantee there isn't more you should do.

I did Deluxe Online this year @ 40 for Federal because I sold a house and wanted to make sure I wasn't fucking up. I could've gotten away w/ free and not entered that I sold the house at all. But meh. Deluxe reminded me about deductions via donations I made in 2020 that allowed for me not to owe on state.

I did Deluxe Online years past while I had the house as I deducted mortgage insurance and other house shit and it ended up a better return.

but nowadays w/ the new personal deductions being so high at 12,400 really only reason not to go free, is if you have some situation that warrants it. like expenditures you want as deductions. that type of shit.
I don't think schedule c is covered with the free version, is it?

imbored

Aug 11, 2005
OKC
I don't think schedule c is covered with the free version, is it?
don't believe it is. if you are self-employed, have anything like rental properties, anything at all beyond "I work and pay taxes and rent and did absolutely nothing at all this year." I wouldn't go free.

but that should go without saying, perhaps it needs to be said though

Reactions: Cicada and turbo35

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026