SRS Is there like a "rehab" for regular life?

Dick Dale

Martha Stewart candy fuchsia on the sewage Buick
Oct 12, 2020
Had a lot mulling around my undeniably thick noggin lately. Been analyzing a lot of my own personal problems, mental, physical, otherwise. Been doing a lot of reading, educating myself, listening to podcasts, really just trying to make sense of a lot of things that are going on in the world in addition to my little microbubble I blow out of proportion.

And it got me thinking, I'd really like to just get away from everything for a little bit. When someone is heavily drug addicted, the only real way to ensure change is to ship them off to rehab; see ya later, you're now trapped at some house on some farm in buttfuck nowhere in another state, no drugs anywhere to be found, welcome to fucking reality chump. It's brutal and shocking, but it's what the system needs.

So I'm going on 6 days without cigarettes and naturally I'm falling into a health kick. Blablabla I've been killing myself in every which way I possibly could since forever. Hell, I even realized I have not been breathing right my entire life.. probably the most fundamental to life thing, I've been doing wrong. So let's address that right? Simple, force myself to breathe out of my nose 100% of the time, even if it feels like I can't. Practice breathing techniques to clear the nose (Buteyko technique actually really fucking works; normal inhale exhale, pinch nose hold breath for min 15s, inhale but arrest overcompensatory breathing by the second or third breath, BAM nose fucking clear like you loaded it with vapo-rub - magic). Tape the mouth shut at night if need be. Open the chest, breathe deep, tickle the bottom of those lungs, inhale the natural NO and welcome a proper deliverance of oxygen to every essential organ that's been robbed for thirty years ever since you were brought home from the hospital into a second hand smoke chamber.

I've been reading all about the psychological effects of modern day life, how everything that is presented towards us is done so using our own psychology against us, to exploit our primitive mind in ways we cannot even comprehend or process on a conscious level. That's kind of scary. Then there's the aspect of all the foods we eat and how horrific they are and the cascading slew of deleterious effects.

How do I get away?

No internet, no notifications, no emails, no comments, no checking my phone before I've even taken my morning piss, no phone, fuck the phone and the intangible connections I cannot live a few minutes without. No garbage overprocessed food, let's just eat natty as fuck off the land. No coffee, no supplements, just fucking WATER and natural food.

All these things that make our lives fundamentally easier are fundamentally destructive mind body and soul

Is it a matter of just being man enough to put everything down for a week and pretend like the internet and power has gone down, and chicken fingers no longer exist?

morrowasted

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2004
Is it a matter of just being man enough to put everything down for a week and pretend like the internet and power has gone down, and chicken fingers no longer exist?
I know a young woman who lived in an off-the-grid "dirtbag" rock climbing community for several years lol. has nothing to do with being manly.

Reactions: Dick Dale

Maker

OT Supporter
Jan 14, 2002
You need to find your purpose. These things you speak of like internet, technology, emails, are just means and methods, and will not materially make you happy or sad, fulfilled or empty.

You don’t need to get away, you don’t need to blame food, you don’t need to obsess about breathing techniques...if you have an internal calling and clarity of purpose, a mission so to speak, that you are working and striving toward.

Think hard what is important to you in life, and then don’t wait to start working on that very thing.

TS
TS
Dick Dale

Dick Dale

Martha Stewart candy fuchsia on the sewage Buick
Oct 12, 2020
You need to find your purpose.
These things you speak of like internet, technology, emails, are just means and methods, and will not materially make you happy or sad, fulfilled or empty.

I agree with the former and disagree with the latter. Technology even in its most innocuous forms is ultimately detrimental. There was a time when a man would have to physically write out a letter, mail it, and wait weeks for a response. Now I can instantly send a message and check every 5 minutes to see if I got a notification about a response.. the whole part of the brain evolved to deal with such a thing has just been washed over and removed in a deluge of dopamine.

Even just popping on here to see there was a notification that my thread got a response sends my mind reeling in all sorts of forms of excitement negative or positive, in ways you know, that it never evolved or was designed for. There's very little to nothing in nature that elicits such a response from the brain in a similar manner, and yet it has become the foundation of our very modern existence

• Dislike
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

wizurd

Engorged Member
OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Las Vegas
Try just doing what makes you happy, even a little bit, everyday. You don't need an escape to force yourself to feel something. Don't want to answer your phone? Don't.

wizurd

Engorged Member
OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Las Vegas
Think about all of these stupid little nuances and how little they'll matter when you're dead.

AndyP

OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2004
I’ve done Everest base camp - 14 days. Stay in tea houses, chat with travelers every night, take in the scenery during the day. It was one of the best trips of my life. No TV. Internet only if you want it. My wife and I just unplugged. Only tech was a camera.

Reactions: Firewall97

DaZ

System 9 And The 7 Dwarfs
OT Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
MA
Had a lot mulling around my undeniably thick noggin lately. Been analyzing a lot of my own personal problems, mental, physical, otherwise. Been doing a lot of reading, educating myself, listening to podcasts, really just trying to make sense of a lot of things that are going on in the world in addition to my little microbubble I blow out of proportion.

And it got me thinking, I'd really like to just get away from everything for a little bit. When someone is heavily drug addicted, the only real way to ensure change is to ship them off to rehab; see ya later, you're now trapped at some house on some farm in buttfuck nowhere in another state, no drugs anywhere to be found, welcome to fucking reality chump. It's brutal and shocking, but it's what the system needs.

So I'm going on 6 days without cigarettes and naturally I'm falling into a health kick. Blablabla I've been killing myself in every which way I possibly could since forever. Hell, I even realized I have not been breathing right my entire life.. probably the most fundamental to life thing, I've been doing wrong. So let's address that right? Simple, force myself to breathe out of my nose 100% of the time, even if it feels like I can't. Practice breathing techniques to clear the nose (Buteyko technique actually really fucking works; normal inhale exhale, pinch nose hold breath for min 15s, inhale but arrest overcompensatory breathing by the second or third breath, BAM nose fucking clear like you loaded it with vapo-rub - magic). Tape the mouth shut at night if need be. Open the chest, breathe deep, tickle the bottom of those lungs, inhale the natural NO and welcome a proper deliverance of oxygen to every essential organ that's been robbed for thirty years ever since you were brought home from the hospital into a second hand smoke chamber.

I've been reading all about the psychological effects of modern day life, how everything that is presented towards us is done so using our own psychology against us, to exploit our primitive mind in ways we cannot even comprehend or process on a conscious level. That's kind of scary. Then there's the aspect of all the foods we eat and how horrific they are and the cascading slew of deleterious effects.

How do I get away?

No internet, no notifications, no emails, no comments, no checking my phone before I've even taken my morning piss, no phone, fuck the phone and the intangible connections I cannot live a few minutes without. No garbage overprocessed food, let's just eat natty as fuck off the land. No coffee, no supplements, just fucking WATER and natural food.

All these things that make our lives fundamentally easier are fundamentally destructive mind body and soul

Some some weed and chill out fam, there is no "real" life just go with the flow. Hell jerk your cock twice a day it will do you wonders.

TheProwler

OT Supporter
Aug 18, 2002
it helps me to put my phone on do not disturb, which only lets calls through.

I also agree that you could go camping. Disable all your notifications.

Ore

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Hamilton ON
You a tent no cell reception and no man-made structures in sight for a week. Only worries are basic necessities cutting fire wood boiling water etc. Will take at least two days for the tech anxiety to subside then you will have a few good days of true relaxation before heading back.

Rownan

SHIFT
Mar 16, 2000
Highland, MI
I agree with the former and disagree with the latter. Technology even in its most innocuous forms is ultimately detrimental. There was a time when a man would have to physically write out a letter, mail it, and wait weeks for a response. Now I can instantly send a message and check every 5 minutes to see if I got a notification about a response..

I get that you're looking at this from the mental impact this has on an individual, but you cant honestly believe technology is damaging to us as a species? Think bigger picture. It's on each of us to know how to handle the tools we are given to advance ourselves. There will always be misuse. If you think it is hurting you individually, then definitely make some adjustments.

On your original post, everyone needs to find their outlet, and hopefully that outlet is not damaging to their health. It's always good to change things up on occasion as well to see what you're missing out on. In my case, COVID is hindering a few of my normal outlets but I keep telling myself it is temporary.

Creator

The Creator Has a Master Plan
Sep 27, 2001
Here
I do this every year.

I go off to someplace secluded for five days. I do a food and tech fast where I hike, write and meditate. No people. No nothing.

I get a ton of value out of it physically and mentally.

Reactions: aloe and Rownan

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor