TECH IT/PC Crew: What laptop hub would your recommend for this?

damaja

Mar 19, 2000

I want to connect all the peripherals to a hub. The keyboard and mouse are wireless so I want to plug the receivers to the hub.

I want to use a USB C cord (with power delivery) to connect (one at a time) to either the personal or work laptop. The peripherals should work seamlessly across both laptops

Budget $200

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
You're better off to daisy chain your monitors (if they are dp1.2 compliant), and buy a mouse and keyboard that support multiple devices. I literally ran this exact setup for years with an XPS and HP Elitebook.
You can switch monitor inputs with hot keys easily.

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
I've been down this rabbit whole a lot.

1. You need a kvm/docking station to do what you want to do.
2. If you your laptops remain on the same network (no vpn) you can use software to switch. If you go down this path, Logitech makes decent software that functions well with the MX series mouse and keyboard
3. I ended up buying a Dell monitor with built in KVM which simplified everything

Ultimately, i didn't want wires on my desk and wanted to utilize usbc for power and video input.

EcheloN

OH NOES!
Dec 13, 2001

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
Docking station bro
Dell D6000 dock
Are these laptops TB3?

if so get a thunderbolt dock

He is trying to connect two laptops, and will need a KVM dock that has 2 inputs. It's a total unicorn right now... The only half way decent kvm/dock for this is made by Startech and it does not do usbc pd.

Reactions: phat🐄

Platinum_Thunder

Reliability for life and liberty
Jun 28, 2001
He is trying to connect two laptops, and will need a KVM dock that has 2 inputs. It's a total unicorn right now... The only half way decent kvm/dock for this is made by Startech and it does not do usbc pd.
What I do is docking station for work into both monitors. Then my personal PC into both monitors and use a USB switcher for the mouse and keyboard. When I need to switch computer I just change inputs on monitor and click the USB button.

UGREEN USB 3.0 Sharing Switch Selector 4 Port 2 Computers Peripheral Switcher Adapter Hub for PC, Printer, Scanner, Mouse, Keyboard with One Button Swapping and 2 Pack USB Male Cable

Aznpho

Not Currently in Use
Aug 29, 2001
Metro East STL
I have 2 monitors and 2 laptops.

my set up-

two docking stations - one for each laptop

monitors are Connected to two hdmi switches which are split to each docking station.
I use a Logitech MX keys keyboard and MX master mouse with flow enabled via Bluetooth.

I switch between workstations by hitting my keyboard/mouse flow hot key and hit the button for each HDMI switch. Three clicks and it switches between work stations.

EcheloN

OH NOES!
Dec 13, 2001

He said he's connecting them 1 at a time. He doesn't need a KVM.

Reactions: 2000GT

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan