GUN It's a happy time in MI

pimpofthenation

OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
A2
Not sure if you NGAS heard or care... but the Michigan AG just ruled and we can now have suppressors!

I just got in on a group buy for a Gemtech Outback II for my Ruger 10/22.

They are currently pushing for SBRs to be allowed as well, and as soon as that happens, I'll be SBR'ing and suppressing my AR-15 :wiggle:

thegooch

Jan 5, 2008
:dunno: is it really worth almost double the price? I mean, I'm pretty impressed with how quiet subsonic + Gemtech is

Simple answer yes. Your Gemtech is user serviceable but made of aluminum. The problem with user serviceable cans is they have to be serviced regularly. Have fun trying to get that bitch open if you shot a few thousand rounds through it and forgot to clean it. Also since it's made of aluminum there is no good way to clean. Basically you have a couple options, use a dental pick or some other sharp object and chip away at the carbon build up, use some sort of blasting media (you'll need a compressor, media, blasting gun, blasting cabinet), or buy a heavy duty rock tumbler and stainless steel media.

With the Sparrow the design is pure genius. You can go 5,000+ rounds and it's just as easy to take apart as if it were new. Take it apart, throw the half shells and core into a jar filled with 50/50 mix of Hyrdogen Peroxide and Vinegar, let it sit overnight. Take shells and core out wash of with water and you're done. You can't do that with an aluminum can, this is the main reason why SilencerCo redesigned the can to made out of stainless steel.

thegooch

Jan 5, 2008
how do you just buy a suppressor, dont you need nfa clearance?

It must be legal in your state to do so, most states allow NFA

There are two ways you can purchase NFA items

#1 As an individual. If purchasing as an individual your Chief Law Enforcement Officer must be willing to sign off on your forms. Some will some won't
#2 Purchase through a trust, LLC, etc. Basically if your CLEO won't sign off this is your only option

Go to a class 3 dealer in your city/state. They will know if a CLEO will sign off or not. Some people (including me) prefer to purchase through a trust. The benefit being that the trust owns the item, and anyone that you name on the trust is allowed to use the NFA item. If purchased as an individual you must maintain sole possession of the NFA item and although someone else can use it, it must be used while in your possession.

Pay up front for the silencer, the dealer will fill out an ATF Form 4. You send two copies of the Form 4 along $200 per NFA item (this is a one time fee, per NFA item) with the appropriate paperwork depending on how you bought silencer (trust vs individual). The dealer maintains possession of the silencer until you are cleared/approved by the ATF. ATF sends the approved form back to the dealer you bought the NFA item from. Dealer calls you, you go to dealer fill out ATF form 4473, take the NFA item home.

Listing of states that allow NFA items along with some more detailed information

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Education&page=Ownership

dpixel8

Feb 8, 2001
WI Go Bucky!!!!!!!
:dunno: is it really worth almost double the price? I mean, I'm pretty impressed with how quiet subsonic + Gemtech is

what Gooch said. I got a Gemtech Multimount a while back and it's "meh". Too big/heavy. I think it's pretty close in weight to my AAC M42k :rofl:

Basically sits on a G19 on the nightstand so if I needed to use it, I don't go completely deaf (it's not THAT quiet at all)

BimmerJustin

Why would you deny yourself something you want?
Dec 31, 2000
Fantasyland
It must be legal in your state to do so, most states allow NFA

There are two ways you can purchase NFA items

#1 As an individual. If purchasing as an individual your Chief Law Enforcement Officer must be willing to sign off on your forms. Some will some won't
#2 Purchase through a trust, LLC, etc. Basically if your CLEO won't sign off this is your only option

Go to a class 3 dealer in your city/state. They will know if a CLEO will sign off or not. Some people (including me) prefer to purchase through a trust. The benefit being that the trust owns the item, and anyone that you name on the trust is allowed to use the NFA item. If purchased as an individual you must maintain sole possession of the NFA item and although someone else can use it, it must be used while in your possession.

Pay up front for the silencer, the dealer will fill out an ATF Form 4. You send two copies of the Form 4 along $200 per NFA item (this is a one time fee, per NFA item) with the appropriate paperwork depending on how you bought silencer (trust vs individual). The dealer maintains possession of the silencer until you are cleared/approved by the ATF. ATF sends the approved form back to the dealer you bought the NFA item from. Dealer calls you, you go to dealer fill out ATF form 4473, take the NFA item home.

Listing of states that allow NFA items along with some more detailed information

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Education&page=Ownership

thanks for the info, I live in NY so I know ill never own one. I was just curious how he jumped on a group buy so quick after repealing the ban.

Interesting how Vermont does not allow NFA items, yet you can purchase and carry a handgun with no permit.

TS
TS
pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation

OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
A2
Simple answer yes. Your Gemtech is user serviceable but made of aluminum. The problem with user serviceable cans is they have to be serviced regularly. Have fun trying to get that bitch open if you shot a few thousand rounds through it and forgot to clean it. Also since it's made of aluminum there is no good way to clean. Basically you have a couple options, use a dental pick or some other sharp object and chip away at the carbon build up, use some sort of blasting media (you'll need a compressor, media, blasting gun, blasting cabinet), or buy a heavy duty rock tumbler and stainless steel media.

With the Sparrow the design is pure genius. You can go 5,000+ rounds and it's just as easy to take apart as if it were new. Take it apart, throw the half shells and core into a jar filled with 50/50 mix of Hyrdogen Peroxide and Vinegar, let it sit overnight. Take shells and core out wash of with water and you're done. You can't do that with an aluminum can, this is the main reason why SilencerCo redesigned the can to made out of stainless steel.

:h5: Changing my order now.

Lacuta

:OG:
Oct 30, 2001
Ann Arbor, MI

fuck yeah
fuck_yeah.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan