GUN It's time to decide.

sprite

May 20, 2003
MI, USA
I'll probably take some heat for this, but...don't buy either unless you're budgeting some gunsmith money in there as well.

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
My Section Secretary is running a non smithed, stock STI Edge and is a Master shooter. Never had any issues. I know quite a few guys running un smithed STI's that run flawless.

But if you are suggesting because of future upgrades, you are correct. You can do some of the easy stuff yourself.

Of the two, I would go 2011 and go with the Tactical, but if it were "Me" I would go with the STI Edge in .40.

TS
TS
Admitted

Admitted

I shouldn't be on OT right now.
Dec 11, 2006
Lawl School
My Section Secretary is running a non smithed, stock STI Edge and is a Master shooter. Never had any issues. I know quite a few guys running un smithed STI's that run flawless.

But if you are suggesting because of future upgrades, you are correct. You can do some of the easy stuff yourself.

Of the two, I would go 2011 and go with the Tactical, but if it were "Me" I would go with the STI Edge in .40.

I'm trying to understand the major differences between the Ranger II and the Tactical. The Edge is right under the Tactical pricing. Why would you go with The Edge over a Tactical?

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
Here's a caveat worth mentioning as well... have you priced out magazines? Save a few benjis for that.

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
I'm trying to understand the major differences between the Ranger II and the Tactical. The Edge is right under the Tactical pricing. Why would you go with The Edge over a Tactical?

You are comparing 1911 to 2011, if you want a range gun, high cap is nice.

As for why the Edge over the Tactical, because it is bar none the most popular, most proven and high revered 2011 that STI makes. It dominates Limited division. Proof is in the pudding, just look at what the dominating field is using. Use the knowledge (well beyond my own) of guys that vote with their dollars that spend a lot of time, energy and money into shooting that have high demands on their shooting needs.

(/commercial)

What I like:

- Full length dust cover
- 5" slide
- bad ass mofo

sprite

May 20, 2003
MI, USA

But if you are suggesting because of future upgrades, you are correct. You

Un-smithed or untouched? Most high level shooters I know do the basic "polish & tweak" jobs themselves and figure if there is not a mill involved then it isn't gunsmithing... but it has still be given a "once over" by someone who knows their shit.

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
Un-smithed or untouched? Most high level shooters I know do the basic "polish & tweak" jobs themselves and figure if there is not a mill involved then it isn't gunsmithing... but it has still be given a "once over" by someone who knows their shit.

Well, you know how this goes, it's "what he claims". He's a pretty honest guy. I asked him about it a while back when I was deciding on a Limited gun telling him about all of the smithing I would need. I shot his gun and he told me it's not needed, his was entirely stock, and it felt stock. He's just a hell of a shooter, there's a reason why we call him "Zippy". He's always in the top 3 out here.

My other friend is running a bone stock STI Trubor, he's too stupid to change his own oil and cheap.

Soybomb

Aug 30, 2003
Illinois
Looking from some input from the experts on the board.
Its the internet, we're all experts man :mamoru:

The only real advice I can offer is that those will probably be the upper limit of what you can carry horizontally in a shoulder rig, and even then you'll probably need a cover garment made of heavier fabric like a sport coat.

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
guywearingdeserteagleinIWB.jpg

Yeah, double stacks aren't the easiest to conceal. It's ideally a hotrod range/competition gun.

TS
TS
Admitted

Admitted

I shouldn't be on OT right now.
Dec 11, 2006
Lawl School
guywearingdeserteagleinIWB.jpg

Yeah, double stacks aren't the easiest to conceal. It's ideally a hotrod range/competition gun.

It says there is no increase in grip circumference, with the tactical at least. I have a good primary carry, unfortunately it's impossible to find a fit chest rig body for it. :(

Soybomb

Aug 30, 2003
Illinois
It says there is no increase in grip circumference, with the tactical at least. I have a good primary carry, unfortunately it's impossible to find a fit chest rig body for it. :(
I don't know if this is in reference to my comment on concealment or not but I'll elaborate on it just in case. For me its a depth thing. I'm built like a lumber jack and have a big chest but even with the smaller 1911 slide (commander?) will with stick out on the front and make me look like I have a beavertail nipple. If I adjust it then the muzzle prints on the back.

I can probably get away with my p99 under a regular open broadcloth button down and my alessi rig but I'd much prefer it under a coat. If I do a shoulder rig ever again it'll be subcompact only, 2 full size mags on the other side to balance it out. 2 .357 mag j-frames with pull through snaps would be really great I think actually.

Range gun sure but just be aware that a shoulder rig can be a little picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan