TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
what was the best thing you've ever done?
It's a tie:

When my oldest son was 5 he had a hard time getting to sleep at night. Went on for a while. He kept either getting up after bedtime, or asking for stuff, or running around when he was supposed to be in bed. Turns out there was a tree in our back yard and a street lamp was casting "scary shadows" on his wall. We stayed up for hours the night he told me what was scaring him, learning about light and shadows. We went out for a walk around the neighborhood in the dark and learned about what kinds of things make different noises at night. For the next few nights we spent the first hour or so looking out the window talking about anything that he thought might be scary after I left him alone in the dark. I've done a lot in life, but the most meaningful thing I've ever done was to help my son not be afraid of the dark.

Other thing was my first deployment as a combat engineer. Every IED we found was at least one person that wouldn't die or become mangled.

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
It's a tie:

When my oldest son was 5 he had a hard time getting to sleep at night. Went on for a while. He kept either getting up after bedtime, or asking for stuff, or running around when he was supposed to be in bed. Turns out there was a tree in our back yard and a street lamp was casting "scary shadows" on his wall. We stayed up for hours the night he told me what was scaring him, learning about light and shadows. We went out for a walk around the neighborhood in the dark and learned about what kinds of things make different noises at night. For the next few nights we spent the first hour or so looking out the window talking about anything that he thought might be scary after I left him alone in the dark. I've done a lot in life, but the most meaningful thing I've ever done was to help my son not be afraid of the dark.

Other thing was my first deployment as a combat engineer. Every IED we found was at least one person that wouldn't die or become mangled.

This post got my feelings flowing. You're a good dad

TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
Stories of places you have been and things you have seen?
So many places and stories... You'll need to be more specific. :hs:

The bravest person I've ever met was an Iraqi man in East Rashid, Baghdad, in 2008. He made a point of walking out in broad daylight to tell us where insurgents had placed IEDs whenever we were in his area. We tried to get him to not be so public, and gave him a number he could use to call in tips instead. He said he wanted to do it in public. When we asked why, he said "my neighbors and my family need to see someone doing something right." I can't imagine him living through the ISIS years.

TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
How do you get over (even a little bit) after losing a son? I can't imagine anything worse for a parent.
You never do.

It's been well over 10 years and I still get hit out of nowhere with a random memory and choke back another flood of tears..

edit: coming up on 13 years this Christmas. Still feels like yesterday.

Last edited:

DeezNortz

THE MEATLOAF! WE WANT IT NOW!!!
OT Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
So i assume you're almost 74. What is your height and weight? Cholesterol? How is your health in general?

Reactions: Cicada
TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
Deets in middle son?
His life and our relationship didn't have the highs or lows that my oldest son had. He and I drifted apart for a while, but in the last few years we've gotten closer. He's doing very well with his life, and he is filling out his life very nicely. He is definitely smarter and more grounded than I was at his age.

Jacko

Vote for Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 17, 2006
NYC
I was 6 years old. Dad was in the Navy and we were living in Naples, Italy. I was playing at the neighborhood playground and a stranger walked up and told me that my mom had given him permission to take me to the soccer game at the stadium. We walked for a while, and he eventually took me to a stadium and we sat down to watch the game. After the game, we stopped for a snack and while he was buying stuff I decided that this guy wasn't really safe to be around and I ran. Got home a couple hours later, and never mentioned it to anyone until a few years ago. When I eventually told mom, she almost fainted. :rofl:
oh my god, thats terrible.

Reactions: Ranger-AO
TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
So i assume you're almost 74. What is your height and weight? Cholesterol? How is your health in general?
Average/healthy height and weight, according to healthline.com. Cholesterol is a bit elevated, but for my job I have to pass an Army pre-deployment physical and an FAA Class II medical every year and so far I've sailed through without a problem.

Reactions: Cicada

z284pwr

Jun 16, 2002
Fruit Heights, Utah
His life and our relationship didn't have the highs or lows that my oldest son had. He and I drifted apart for a while, but in the last few years we've gotten closer. He's doing very well with his life, and he is filling out his life very nicely. He is definitely smarter and more grounded than I was at his age.
That’s good you’re getting better and that you’re close with your kids :nod:

I feel bad for my wife and her siblings. Her dad moved away and they rarely hear from him. When he comes up she gets an hour notice and he expects her to drop everything for him :rolleyes:

I’m really close to my parents and her oldest brother, his wife is the same with her family so her and I sit and rage at how shitty is relationship is with his kids :nope:

Were you military while raising kids? If so how did that work for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor