I've lived an interesting life. AMaA.

buttslut

Queen Trumpkin
Sep 13, 2003
V O L
I've been kidnapped, blown up and shot at. I've raised 3 sons, watched one die and turned one out on the streets. I've served in two branches of the military, washed dishes and dug ditches for food, and worked in IT for 20 years. I've been unemployable and I've earned over $100k. I never expected to live this long, and I'll be surprised if I make it to 75. Ask me almost anything.
Sounds like your ready to kick the bucket :noes:

TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
oh my god, thats terrible.
Just remembered another Italy almost-disaster :rofl:

In my 1st grade class, whenever anyone had a birthday that they wanted to invite everyone to we would all get permission to ride their bus home, attend the birthday party, and then our parents would come pick us up. I was supposed to go to a kids party one day but I didn't really like him much. I got on his bus and when we got to his stop he told me to get off. I didn't like the way he said it, so I stayed on the bus. In a strange area. In Italy. And I didn't speak Italian. :rofl:

When I realized what I'd done I got off the bus, but by then it was too late to have any hope of getting back to this kid's party. I wandered around Naples for hours, and eventually ended up crying my eyes out in some alley behind some apartment buildings. An old man came up and talked to me, but he didn't speak english and I didn't speak Italian. He took my hand and brought me to his apartment and I played with his kids (or grand kids). After a while my parents came and picked me up. Turns out he was an ex-mayor of Naples. He called the Navy shore patrol, who then contacted my parents. I was a stupid shit when I was a kid. :nod:

TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
That’s good you’re getting better and that you’re close with your kids :nod:

I feel bad for my wife and her siblings. Her dad moved away and they rarely hear from him. When he comes up she gets an hour notice and he expects her to drop everything for him :rolleyes:

I’m really close to my parents and her oldest brother, his wife is the same with her family so her and I sit and rage at how shitty is relationship is with his kids :nope:
Yeah, the older I get the more I understand about my parents, and the more I understand that perfect parents don't exist. I tried my very best to be a better dad than the one I had, but I have regrets and things I wish to god I'd done differently. Unless they are "bad people" try to accept them for what they are instead of wishing they were someone different. The thing I regret about my dad the most is that when he died I still hadn't reconciled our differences.

Were you military while raising kids? If so how did that work for you?
No - I got out of the Air Force when my oldest was 2, and didn't join the Army (National Guard) until the week after my youngest died. All they ever knew was civilian life. Even got to grow up in the same place for most of their growing years.

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. It's the worst kind of grief and I'm doubly sorry because I have witnessed people say some incredibly insensitive things only because they just don't know what to say. :hug:

That being said, do you want to tell us your favorite memory of your youngest? We'd love to hear about him to honor his memory with you if you wanted to.

Reactions: Ranger-AO
TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
When shit got really though, what did you do to keep on pushing through?
The very worst, lowest, darkest period of my life was about a 10-year period that centered on my son's death. A therapist told me that life will always get better if you don't give up. I didn't believe her, but I wanted to, so I didn't give up.

All anyone ever gets is right now. If you don't give up right now, now turns into the next step, and the next step turns into the next day, the next night, the next week. You string enough of those together and you get a month. Before you know it, a year's gone by. Eventually, if you just don't give up right now, life really does get better. That has proven to be true in my life.

TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. It's the worst kind of grief and I'm doubly sorry because I have witnessed people say some incredibly insensitive things only because they just don't know what to say. :hug:

That being said, do you want to tell us your favorite memory of your youngest? We'd love to hear about him to honor his memory with you if you wanted to.
I can't, but thank you.

Reactions: DasVWBabe
TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
enta betkalem araby?
If you're saying what I think you're saying, no. Other than some point-talk stuff like "stop or I will shoot". :hs:

edit: although my son says I'm actually saying something stupid and crude when I say "ogaf! Tar'ra me!" (he spent a year embedded with Iraqi's, so he's probably right). And fuck arabic phonetic spelling. :rofl:

Last edited:

Gho5t

Oct 9, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA/Raleigh, NC
Hi! Navy pencil pusher here. love threads like these.
Whats it like to be blown up?
injuries sustained?
anything i need to know before i retire in 7/9 years?
whats the first few weeks like after you get out after doing it for so long?

Jacko

Vote for Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 17, 2006
NYC
Just remembered another Italy almost-disaster :rofl:

In my 1st grade class, whenever anyone had a birthday that they wanted to invite everyone to we would all get permission to ride their bus home, attend the birthday party, and then our parents would come pick us up. I was supposed to go to a kids party one day but I didn't really like him much. I got on his bus and when we got to his stop he told me to get off. I didn't like the way he said it, so I stayed on the bus. In a strange area. In Italy. And I didn't speak Italian. :rofl:

When I realized what I'd done I got off the bus, but by then it was too late to have any hope of getting back to this kid's party. I wandered around Naples for hours, and eventually ended up crying my eyes out in some alley behind some apartment buildings. An old man came up and talked to me, but he didn't speak english and I didn't speak Italian. He took my hand and brought me to his apartment and I played with his kids (or grand kids). After a while my parents came and picked me up. Turns out he was an ex-mayor of Naples. He called the Navy shore patrol, who then contacted my parents. I was a stupid shit when I was a kid. :nod:
thats awesome

Reactions: Ranger-AO

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor