Java and XML

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, Mar 8, 2002.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I picked up this book the other day (Linky) . Got a chance today to sit down and read the Introduction. Seems like the author is very excited with the opportunities XML brings to enterprise development. Makes me feel like I'll enjoy the book. So far, the most work I've done with XML is the web.xml file used in JSP/Servlets. Mapping can be very powerful and don't forget the parameters you can set in that file. Talk about low maintenance code, shit. You can just set the parameters (variables) in your XML config and they will carry over into your code wherever you called the parameter name. Gotta love that. Sorry to ramble but all this talk of XML has gotten me giddy. :rofl:

2. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

3. SLED

SLED custom title

i've become friends with a guy from Mega.net (our isp that provides our T1 access) and he's coming to the office tomorrow, and going to help me get our SMTP server up. He's real experienced, and i don't know shit about sendmail. But i can't wait :) I've already got the machine i'm putting it on (Dual 800mhz with 512meg of ram, 2xSCSI drives, etc. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve. :)

4. CompiledMonkey

That's awesome dude. Anybody else learning some cool new technology?

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

:wavey:

6. CompiledMonkey

What have you been upto?

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

:wiggle:

8. Aphoric

Aphoric Guest

J2EE is pretty cool. I like XML, but I'm too fucking busy to do cool stuff, posting on OT is a full-time job.

9. znaps

znaps Guest

I wrote an XML UI builder that let you build applications using XML to define the UI's which were rendered using Java Swing code. It wasn't feature complete, but it worked really well, and built bug free UI's..

I thought that was pretty cool...

10. CompiledMonkey

Awesome. :bigthumb:

11. crontab

crontab Oracle doesn't have customers, they have hostages.

Welp, currently I'm in the process of designing setting up a Disaster Recovery Solution for my company. Ever since 9/11 and the unfortunate outcome of our collegue Daniel Pearl, my tasks have been quite overwhelming. It was very intriguing at first, but has become an extremely heavy weight on my shoulders lately. I think I am going to pop.

Initially I had to setup a quick solution of backing up 1TB incrementals a night. That was easy, especially with the hardware we got. A pretty simple SAN of tape devices connected via GigE and LC-SC/SC-SC fibre. Logically controlled by Legato Networker and physically controlled by a StorageTek SN6K. The hard part is determining how to generate a pool of offsite tapes quickly. With two big boxes with ~6TB of raw data each to duplicate isn't an easy task to do quickly. I think I/we conjured a feasible solution, now I am just waiting for tapes to test it out with. I still have to figure out what exactly I need to have a complete offsite backup of an Informix DB.

My other minor projects/tasks are administrating dozens and dozens of UNIX boxes, ranging from sparc 5's to DS40's with 32 GB of RAM and 240TB of shared storage.

There are a few projects that I detest working on, but I will not deface the company for respect.

-crontab -l

12. CompiledMonkey

Damn, the Operations side of the business is pretty complex. I sit in a cluster with the NAs and SAs and I hear all of what goes on with the networking side of everything. Lets just say I'm glad I'm a developer. :bigthumb:

13. crontab

crontab Oracle doesn't have customers, they have hostages.

Funny, I'm glad I am an administrator than a developer, eventhough I was "trained" throughout college to become a developer.

-crontab -e

14. CompiledMonkey

I think the best part about being a developer (against being in Operations) is the fact that I work on one project at a time. Our guys in Ops are on at least ~5 different things at once. I do my best as a developer to make their job as easy as possible when it comes to deploying projects and such. Example, I'll be sending one of the NAs my one WAR file that includes ~55 files of classes/configs/jsps/servlets/xml/documentation next week. Working with that one WAR file will make those guys happy. :bigthumb:

15. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Nothing to do with cool new technology, but as of late, I have been tasked with ensuring data accurancy, integrity, and revenue assurance for one peice of our company.

It has become a big pain too. There are 4 different systems that all need to be kept in sync at all times. There is a big cloud of processes that move transactions back and forth, which I think is causing my problems. But researching it and making sure that is the problem is the hard part.

Chris, your stuff on XML and Java is pretty interesting. I really don't know the possiblities though with it... Got some examples.

16. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

damn how old is this thread

17. CompiledMonkey

Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen this thread. :bigthumb:

Over the past year, I haven't done as much with XML as I wanted to. I guess other things just got in the way. I've used XML for configuration files (outside of the web.xml file in web apps) and data transfer. For example, one application allows a partner to upload an XML file with transaction information. That XML file is validated against the dtd. If all is well, it is parsed and the data makes its way to the database. It doesn't sound like much, but it's an amazing application. Not from a coding standpoint so much, but how interoperable it is. Since XML is used to pass data along, a user wouldn't necessarily need to upload that file. It could be pushed out from a C application running somewhere around the world. It wouldn't matter how really, as long as it’s valid XML.

I've got a small class I wrote a few weeks ago that I can show you. It takes the RSS feed from my Blog and parses it out. It's a console app written in C#.

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Xml;

namespace MyBlogRssFeed
    {
    	/// <summary>
    	/// Summary description for Class1.
    	/// </summary>
    	class Class1
    	{
    		/// <summary>
    		/// The main entry point for the application.
    		/// </summary>
    		[STAThread]
    		static void Main(string[] args)
    		{
    			// Declare an xmldoc object and instantiate it
    			XmlDocument xmlDoc = new XmlDocument();

// Load the file into memory
    			xmlDoc.Load("http://dotnetweblogs.com/Cstewart/Rss.aspx");

// Load up a list of nodes by the given tag name
    			XmlNodeList items = xmlDoc.GetElementsByTagName("item");

// For every node in the items node list that has the value of value, 
    			// go into this logic and pull out certain pieces of info.
    			foreach(XmlNode item in items) 
    			{
    				Console.WriteLine("Title: {0}", item["title"].InnerXml);
    				Console.WriteLine("Link: {0}", item["link"].InnerXml);
    				Console.WriteLine("Date: {0}", item["pubDate"].InnerXml);
    				Console.WriteLine("Content: {0} \n", item["description"].InnerXml);
    			}

// Wait for the user to manually exit the application
    			Console.Read();
    		}
    	}
    }

18. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Holy Crap!! I didn't notice that when I replied to it.. I was doing a search for T-1 Routers and came across this...

Then I looked at the date and it was close to today's date.. So I figured that it was a new one..

:slap:

19. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

:fawk2:

biattttttch

20. CompiledMonkey

Jesus, he was agreeing with you. :uh: