SRS Job havers get in here - blogs.offtopic.com/majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
Lost my last job due to COVID back in March. Got my current job in May. About a month ago we got the news that my current shop is being acquired.

So now everyone is potentially on the chopping block. We aren't profitable just yet, but close. I doubt they'll keep any of us on. However, we'll know more in 3-4 months once all the paperwork is done, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

Of course this is literally happening in the worst fucking time in current memory. COVID, end of year, budgets being sorted out, so hardly anyone is hiring and it takes 3-4 months to find a job anyways.

Some stats:

Applied to jobs: 15
Rejections: 4
Phone screens with HR: 2
Interviews with hiring managers: 2

Not a bad conversion rate so far, 9.5% of apps resulting in interviews.

This is how it went post COVID, 1/61, 1.63% conversion rate on applications.

Come commiserate with me and lol at the pain in my ass, again. I'll respond tomorrow during the workday, off to bed now.

Reactions: Menger

hipberri

Jan 27, 2016
that's a good rate, keep it up
i've worked at my job for almost 3 years. we are a 10b company going ipo in a year that's owned by a 15b company and we're making record profits this year
last march we got a 16% bonus, hope we get the same or more next march
i'm currently shopping online for office supplies since they just approved us for $1k of expenses
hth

FBI-SS

drink more water
OT Supporter
Dec 21, 2004
i've worked at my job for almost 3 years. we are a 10b company going ipo in a year that's owned by a 15b company and we're making record profits this year
i'm currently shopping online for office supplies since they just approved us for $1k of expenses
hth
McDonald’s is proud

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
hth

Don't burn my fries next time you fucking bum

TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
Wishing you the best. Keep at it and adapt, you’ll find something. Have you looked on Indeed? There are a lot of opportunities there.

yeah, indeed, LinkedIn, and the local slack for professionals.

Legit dude goodluck on the job search.
Hopefully it isnt needed, but acquisitions usually dont turn out very well, especially for relatively new hires.
My concern as well. Last in and first out. Ugh. Hate job hunting.
What type of job are you looking for?
I’m a senior product manager...

MassMan

Aug 26, 2004
Somerville, MA
yeah, indeed, LinkedIn, and the local slack for professionals.

My concern as well. Last in and first out. Ugh. Hate job hunting.

I’m a senior product manager...
If you want to pm me your linkedin I can take a look and see if you’d be a good fit at my company. Always looking for good product managers

TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
hth
Nice dude. Mad jelly at that stability. What industry you in?

TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
If you want to pm me your linkedin I can take a look and see if you’d be a good fit at my company. Always looking for good product managers
Ooo scared about going OP → RP on OT. Let me sleep on it and I’ll hit you up in the morning. It’s super late! Thank you immensely for the offer.

monolith

Hey, Herbie! How's life? Taking forever.
OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Virginia
Good luck, shit is rough out there.

I just got done hiring a member for my team and I legit went through 550 applications to find ONE that was worth offering. I could not believe the amount of shit out there, after talking to that one good person it was just nuts comparing that candidate to all the others I had spoken to.

This is a long winded way of saying if you're good, you'll find something.

What industry are you in?

Reactions: Phlab
TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍

I just got done hiring a member for my team and I legit went through 550 applications to find ONE that was worth offering. I could not believe the amount of shit out there, after talking to that one good person it was just nuts comparing that candidate to all the others I had spoken to.

Damn that’s a crazy amount of applications. What stood out about the person you hired?
I’m not too worried about finding a job. It takes 3-4 months, I just hate that I gotta do it again so soon and with the specter of potentially losing my job.

Been in a few industries. Tech, Fintech, Hospitality and within those B2B and B2C.

Reactions: monolith

monolith

OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Virginia
Damn that’s a crazy amount of applications. What stood out about the person you hired?
I’m not too worried about finding a job. It takes 3-4 months, I just hate that I gotta do it again so soon and with the specter of potentially losing my job.

Been in a few industries. Tech, Fintech, Hospitality and within those B2B and B2C.
Without getting too detailed she was just leagues ahead of everyone else in terms of low-level knowledge about our field. That in conjunction with her work experience + personality made her an easy yes.

TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
Without getting too detailed she was just leagues ahead of everyone else in terms of low-level knowledge about our field. That in conjunction with her work experience + personality made her an easy yes.
Same for an analyst we just hired. She knew errythang about the industry and was super skilled. Lots of the apps that HR passed along were very meh. I can only imagine what she’s thinking. She started the day before the acquisition was announced.

• Wow
Reactions: monolith

f00l

Jun 14, 2004

shit as in most people didn't have good experience?

monolith

OT Supporter
May 9, 2004
Virginia
shit as in most people didn't have good experience?
  • Horrendous resumes (I'm talking on average 5+ pages of just utter garbage, longest one I saw was 13 pages!)
    • One guy literally pasted pictures of women's lingerie in his resume because he worked on an e-com site that sold women's clothes...
  • Not enough work exp or just bad/unrelated exp
  • Tenuous understanding of the industry, job, etc...
  • Poor communication
  • etc...
I should clarify the numbers if anyone cares (which I doubt):

~550 resumes > ~50 got through to a phone screen > 5 got through to an in-person > 2 made it to offer > Chose the better of the 2 for the job

f00l

Jun 14, 2004
  • Horrendous resumes (I'm talking on average 5+ pages of just utter garbage, longest one I saw was 13 pages!)
    • One guy literally pasted pictures of women's lingerie in his resume because he worked on an e-com site that sold women's clothes...
  • Not enough work exp or just bad/unrelated exp
  • Tenuous understanding of the industry, job, etc...
  • Poor communication
  • etc...
I should clarify the numbers if anyone cares (which I doubt):

~550 resumes > ~50 got through to a phone screen > 5 got through to an in-person > 2 made it to offer > Chose the better of the 2 for the job

good gosh.........

I have been hearing a few stories of horrible resumes lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman