MIL Just back from Navy recruiter today..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by knight42, Feb 19, 2010.

1. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

wanted to ask a few questions here if anyone can help out.

I want to join the Navy and go through BUD/S to be a SEAL... before everyone tells me how hard it is I know.. I scored a 94 on the initial test today and all my PST scores are in the competitive range, sub 8 min swim, low 9min run, pushup/situps over 90, pullups only 11 or 12 but I weigh 230 lbs.

Anyway, he told me when I go to MEPS I should just take any job available since after MEPS I meet with my SEAL mentor and take the PST to qualify me for the SEALs then sign my contract saying thats what I'm doing. He told me if for whatever reason I didnt make it through BUD/S I would just be reclassified to whatever is available, so what I picked at MEPS didnt matter. He also told me the signing bonus just got lowered from 40k to 30k :( anyone else hear about that.

I think I had another question but cant remember right now. Just wanted to get some feedback from somebody who isnt my recruiter who just wants to sign up another person

thanks

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

the only thing i have to mention on the matter is that you should make sure youve looked into what SEALs actually do as work 90% of the time...everyone thinks blow shit up and shoot people/kick doors in but the job has alot more involved than fun and games once you make it

3. dmcgill

dmcgill Active Member

The above is a true statement, my old roomate was a SEAL that I met in boot camp.

Furthermore, what your being fed sounds like bullshit. SEAL has been a rating since 2006 (SO) so don't go picking any job that is "available". You don't talk to anybody after MEPS, you go to fucking boot camp with a contract. If you qualify, and it sounds like you do at least on the physical part, then tell MEPS you want an SO contract or you won't be going into the Navy. It's not difficult if you qualify, SEALs are incredibly undermanned. When you get that contract however, if you fail out of BUD/S or SQT then you get re-classified into another rating for the needs of the Navy.

I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and don't get internet access often, but if you need any more help let me know.

4. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

well I think he is right about meeting with the SEAL mentor after MEPS, although originally I thought I met before, because I have to take the Physical Screening Test to qualify. He said its also a Delayed Entry Program so I had to meet with my SEAL Mentor once a week until I get sent to Boot.

But what you said about the SO contract is what I thought, so I don't understand teh picking a job at MEPS part.

As to knowing its not just blowing shit up everyday I understand that, but if you have some better knowledge than me about what a normal day for them looks like please feel free to share :x:

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Never join undesignated. I'm not sure how it works now since SEAL is the SO rating, but when I joined lots of people who wanted to be SEAL's would just join undesignated seamen, fail out of BUDS, then be thrown onto a ship chipping rusted paint. I'm all for people trying to do what they want, but plan on failing and your Navy life will be much better.

6. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

I think you guys are missing the point in what Im saying. I never said I would join undesignated and of course when I sign a contract it will say Im going in to try and be a SEAL. I also no where said I will be able to chose what I do if I dont cut it in BUD/S because i dont know thats why Im asking questions.

I am trying to be smart about this because I am very aware of the failure rate of BUD/S, hence me being wary about the recruiter saying to pick whatever job is available that Im eligible for. Im trying to better understand the process of how my job assignment will be if I drop out of BUD/S.

From what he said I have to pick out a job at MEPS before I take the SEAL challenge, all of this is still prior to me signing anything. Now, If I dont make it through BUD/S will they reclassify me based on what I chose at MEPS or do they look at what is available at that time and based on my ASVAB scores and whatever else give me a different job?

7. Kafka

Kafka New Member

what do they do 90% of the time?

just train?

8. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil OT Supporter

good luck bro. good luck. if you make it through bud/s I will personally come down to coronado after hell week and buy you a round at McPs

9. dmcgill

dmcgill Active Member

It varies, but SEALs go to more military and civilian-ran schools than anyone else in the military. When they're not deployed or in ULT (6 months pre-deployment training all over the states) they are going to different schools. When they're not doing workups or going to schools, they're at the team everyday...go in early, PT, bullshit for a while then go home. At least this is how it was at 2 and 8 in Virginia.

10. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

Thank you

This really does sound good to me.. Im kind of an over achiever and continuing my education and constantly working out sounds good to me among all the other stuff. I mean what you said I pretty much already do on my own. I didnt want to do this just for all the blow shit up action, I wanted a mentally and physically challenging career. I already seek out high adrenaline activities in my personal life, love traveling to new places etc etc. I feel like if I do make it, it will be the most rewarding experience of my life. Yes I know the failure rate but you cant fail unless you try.

11. Kafka

Kafka New Member

I think you mean, "you've already failed if you don't try"

12. dmcgill

dmcgill Active Member

The more important thing you need to ask yourself, besides traveling and adrenaline rushes, is...do you think within yourself you can handle being in a very small unit, dropped off dead center in Taliban country with a few buddies, and go to war face to face with the enemy...all of the time being greatly outnumbered. Afghanistan is no picnic for regular troops, it takes a special breed of person to do what SEALs do.

You'll figure it out. Good luck.

13. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

it's so hard to become a navy seal. I know 6 people who joined wanting to do that, one of them was an All state cross country runner too. He was in the best shape physically than anyone i had ever seen in real life. He didn't even come close to making it. Good luck though.. I'm about to go to MEPs here in 2 weeks :)

14. dmcgill

dmcgill Active Member

People always assume they can do things based on their physical ability. Fact is...succeeding in programs such as BUD/S requires mental tenacity beyond measure. You think it'd be cool to be a Navy SEAL, you want to be one. But when you're on your third consecutive day of non-stop team training, without sleep, whilst being exposed to freezing cold water and constantly being wet and sandy, chafing, you'll know if the life is for you. You'll know if that's REALLY, truly what you want to do. And you'll do it. Or you'll quit.

If people did more research before attempting such things, a lot of them wouldn't even try it. There's been dudes who went to BUD/S and didn't even know it involved swimming.

15. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i meant specifically mission-wise. a huge portion of time is spent training yes but while deployed they get alot of shit missions that arent like shit you see in the movies...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  16. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

werd. I would not want to be a navy seal, it doesn't pay enough :o I'm glad we have em though.

17. woot

woot wo

lol meps. have fun bending over and spreading them cheeks.

18. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

thia goes for army as well.....

the biggest mistake i ever made was joining with "11X w/special forces intent"

all it means is they send you e-mails every month.

19. SofaKingKong

SofaKingKong New Member

And do not forget the Duck Walk.

20. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

and the tube up your dick to check for infections :wtc:

21. armond

armond New Member

:eek3:

Did I get lucky and miss that one?

22. dmcgill

dmcgill Active Member

Very true. Missions like what are played out in the movies are not very common. Most missions involve recon, staying well hidden and gathering intel on the enemy.

23. dmcgill

dmcgill Active Member

The fuck? I never got that.

24. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

Honestly from everything ive heard, besides the first 3 weeks of BUD/S where they beat the shit outa you its not too hard for somebody who is in very good shape, physically. It is definitely a mental game and knowing whether you are really motivated to accomplish it and do that as a career. My uncle was a SEAL, half my family has the mentality for this type of thing and and I have done my research. I feel confident about this in every aspect.

With that being said I take my PST Mar 10 and I should smoke that, another person from my area got a contract last week and is shipping out to basic in Aug. Looks like I have a good chance of getting a winter class, yay.

If anyone cares, as for my initial question Im pretty sure he said take any job that way if I didnt pass the PST he still got me to enlist. Another recruiter told me it shows that Im committed to the Navy and makes it easier to get a SO contract. Not sure if its BS or not. They did tell me not to take a job in the Nuclear Field Program as I would be stuck in it and not get a SO contract after if I sign up for that

25. Reign

Reign Banned

What the recruiter may have been talking about you picking another job is... while SEAL is a rate if you don't make it you get sent to the fleet as an undesignated SN (Seaman, Fireman or Airman). That sucks... it sucks balls. You will grind, paint, and resurface stuff as a majority of your work for that and fill TAD (Temporarily Assigned Duty) billets that will have you doing other bullshit work.

You're right in not wanting to go Nuke. Besides the fact you can't do SEALS every nuke i know, which is quite a few, HATE their fucking life. They pretty much get screwed six ways from Sunday in port and out to sea.

I would suggest going for a job in the AECF (Advanced Electronics Computer Field). Our schools aren't the easiest but the job is cake... when you get your quals out of the way, if it's not broke you're not busy. I spend most of my days working out in the gyms. If you did this and THEN went to BUDS you'd be much better off since if you failed BUDS (which has 70%+ drop out rate) then you don't get fucked when you get sent out to fullfill the rest of your contract.

My suggestion, stay out of the NAVY and be a civilian... everyone I know hate's their life and wishes they had joined a real service instead of this bullshit one.