Just bought a house with in-ceiling heat...should I replace with mini splits or get ducting?

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
So we bought a house that was built in 1977 and there's no ducting, baseboard heat or anything else. What they have are thermostats in each room, that are connected to in-ceiling electric coils that deliver radiant heat.

I'm not sure how well these work as I've never heard of them before now (Apparently they were popular in the 70's for a bit) and so I'm looking to upgrade my heating.

The area the house is in does not have LNG available, so my options are likely either an Electric Furnace or else mini-splits throughout the house. I'm leaning furnace, as new ducting and a furnace should probably cost no more than about $12,000 (2300 square foot bungalow with a basement that has 8' ceiligns and open joists for easy access).

Any reason I should be looking at the mini splits, or should I just go ahead with my plans for an electric furnace?

N8

The red eyes are just allergies.
Dec 27, 2001
Canada
As others have said, heat pump of some fashion. It will be the most efficient in your situation and also offer cooling in the summer.

And WTF coils on the ceiling? Heat rises, that has to be the most inefficient solution ever. :rofl:

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
So what's the deal with the Heat Pump. I've heard about it before, but don't know much about it. How much does that cost to install? Do I still need ducting?

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Consider switching to a hydronic radiant floor heating system

It will also give you the opportunity to redo plumbing with a pex manifold system
I'm not sure I want to commit that much to the house at this point. We've got a ton of renos to do to it, and we are nowhere near getting close enough to a final layout to start adding that in

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
So what's the deal with the Heat Pump. I've heard about it before, but don't know much about it. How much does that cost to install? Do I still need ducting?
No ducting. It's basically a reversible AC unit. You would have to install the AC lines (usually in the attic) and would have vents/heads in the rooms.

We have both electric baseboard and a heatpump. One head in the upstairs living room for the main living area and baseboards for the bedrooms.

But when we upgrade it will be heatpump heads in all rooms with baseboard for emergency backup.

As an example of a multi head unit.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
No ducting. It's basically a reversible AC unit. You would have to install the AC lines (usually in the attic) and would have vents/heads in the rooms.

We have both electric baseboard and a heatpump. One head in the upstairs living room for the main living area and baseboards for the bedrooms.

But when we upgrade it will be heatpump heads in all rooms with baseboard for emergency backup.

Any idea of what a heatpump costs? I like the idea of it, just not sure how much $$$

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Dude, this is one time I will say that the benefits far outweigh the costs...

That is a REALLY inefficient fire waiting to happen.
Yeah man I don't plan on using this heat, that's why I'm wondering about ducting or mini splits. Heck, this old dude use to supplement with a homemade woodburning stove in the basement.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

ducted mini split heat pumps are a thing.

Reactions: CPTMULLET

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah man I don't plan on using this heat, that's why I'm wondering about ducting or mini splits. Heck, this old dude use to supplement with a homemade woodburning stove in the basement.

what do you intend to use for heat?

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Well not to come off like too much of a bitch, but in the original post of this thread I clearly said that I was planning on adding either an electric furnace or potentially looking into mini splits for the house.

im lost.

my suggestion: hyper heat heat pump. good to -5F for 100% COP

something like:

Reactions: CPTMULLET and 93rx7

93rx7

OT Supporter
Feb 14, 2009
Your base
Well not to come off like too much of a bitch, but in the original post of this thread I clearly said that I was planning on adding either an electric furnace or potentially looking into mini splits for the house.

isn't it already winter in canada?

i wouldnt rip out the firestarter shit if you go heat pump tho, assuming it gets really cold there.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026