Just bought a house with in-ceiling heat...should I replace with mini splits or get ducting?

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
isn't it already winter in canada?

i wouldnt rip out the firestarter shit if you go heat pump tho, assuming it gets really cold there.
It gets really effing cold here. I'm not sure if this limp dick heat pump stuff that pulls heat out of the ground or whatever is going to be good enough for Winnipeg.
 
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
im lost.


my suggestion: hyper heat heat pump. good to -5F for 100% COP

something like:
-5F? Ok, so if it gets to -31F it's probably not gonna work.
 
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
And i odn't think i'd ever rip out the electric stuff. I'd leave it in the ceiling and just disconnect the power to it.
 

93rx7

OT Supporter
Feb 14, 2009
38,165
Your base
-5F? Ok, so if it gets to -31F it's probably not gonna work.

correct, with those temps i would assume you need another solution. geo or a coil. if it hasn't burnt the house down yet maybe go reversible heat pump for the 90% and rain fire for the other 10%. propane an option? idk how much propane is up there so that may be a bad idea


disclaimer: i know nothing
 
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
Do you guys have any idea how much this stuff costs? Like, it might be super efficient etc, but if it costs $45,000 to install i'm not gonna make up the $30,000 difference for a long time.
 
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
correct, with those temps i would assume you need another solution. geo or a coil. if it hasn't burnt the house down yet maybe go reversible heat pump for the 90% and rain fire for the other 10%. propane an option? idk how much propane is up there so that may be a bad idea


disclaimer: i know nothing
My parents went Propane for a while at their place but swapped the Furnace out for Electric as propane was too expensive. They use it only for their gas stove.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 93rx7
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
yup i'd for sure put in resistive backup bank. the heat pump will still make heat lower than that but i'd want resistive to assist.
So does the heat pump have little ducts that go into each room or what. Like, how does it get air into the house. Do I still need to duct into each room? I should've added an ELI5 tag to this thread.
 

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
212,941
Do you guys have any idea how much this stuff costs? Like, it might be super efficient etc, but if it costs $45,000 to install i'm not gonna make up the $30,000 difference for a long time.


ducting is gona be pricey IMO. mini splits offer lower install cost at a higher hardware cost. there is a balance point. so it depends.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Normie

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
212,941
So does the heat pump have little ducts that go into each room or what. Like, how does it get air into the house. Do I still need to duct into each room? I should've added an ELI5 tag to this thread.

heat pump is the method of using the compression system to move heat around.

a heat pump can be:

- Traditional ducted furnace system.
- DUCTED mini split system
- Mini split wall mounts.

two of those require duct work. one does not.


following?
 
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
heat pump is the method of using the compression system to move heat around.

a heat pump can be:

- Traditional ducted furnace system.
- DUCTED mini split system
- Mini split wall mounts.

two of those require duct work. one does not.


following?
Ok, I'm with you.
 
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
The other thing is we're adding a fireplace insert that's going to serve as a main heat source in the winter time. It's obviously only good when we're burning, so when we're away I want to make sure we have a reliable heat source so that the house doesn't freeze, and admittedly I'm not too amped about running the Firemakers while we're away.
 
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
45,101
Winnipeg
so you got 3 options to pick from.

well 4. you could go baseboard heat. but that leads to: do you want AC as well?

do you have AC currently?
We do not have AC, which is why Ducting seemed like a no brainer...but that's why I was considering a minisplit (Am I even calling that the right thing?) too because that does both and doesn't need ducting.
 

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
212,941
We do not have AC, which is why Ducting seemed like a no brainer...but that's why I was considering a minisplit (Am I even calling that the right thing?) too because that does both and doesn't need ducting.

a mini split does not need ducting. you would put 1 small head in every bedroom and medium size heads in living areas. kitchen, living mainly.

those heads can then provide Cooling and heat.

this is a common thing to do on older houses with no ducting. you're unique in having 100% access from below to properly duct it with no second floor to worry about.
you're also kinda unique to my experience in the US with only using electric. most places will use oil/propane for heat when NG isnt supplied.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CPTMULLET

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
212,941
The other thing is we're adding a fireplace insert that's going to serve as a main heat source in the winter time. It's obviously only good when we're burning, so when we're away I want to make sure we have a reliable heat source so that the house doesn't freeze, and admittedly I'm not too amped about running the Firemakers while we're away.

so in the new systems you will have a heat pump. that works to basically 0F. when the system detects it can't keep up using the heat pump it triggers secondary heat strips. these suck power down BUT provide enough heat even when its cold cold out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

  • Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
97
Guests online
67
Total visitors
164

Forum statistics

Threads
76,307
Messages
7,420,988
Members
87,016
Latest member
LandenStein