Just bought a house with in-ceiling heat...should I replace with mini splits or get ducting?

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Any idea of what a heatpump costs? I like the idea of it, just not sure how much $$$
Depends. Couple k to 10s of ks. Lots of variables involved. You'd need to get a quote from some who actually installs em. Think I did the math for my mom's place out in BC and it was like 6k? But they have a small place and a single head would suffice.

Also lots of rebates and incentives for going with hearpumps here. Check with your province.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Depends. Couple k to 10s of ks. Lots of variables involved. You'd need to get a quote from some who actually installs em. Think I did the math for my mom's place out in BC and it was like 6k? But they have a small place and a single head would suffice.

Also lots of rebates and incentives for going with hearpumps here. Check with your province.
Yeah, that's the direction I'll go in. Looks like I can claim a max of $5,700 for a ground pump for my house and about $3,500 or so for an air source pump. I like the idea of a ground pump, as they'll be much more effective in the winter.

Reactions: Normie
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Yup. Not as cold here but thays why we have baseboard for backups.

Still helps on the heating/cooling costs tho. Our 3 bedroom 2 story house costs less than our old 2 bedroom apartment. :rofl:
The cooling costs in the summer are appealing too, and form the whole story for sure. Like, I'm very curious to see how well they do. I'm guessing they don't pull the humidity out of the air though, eh? I might need to add some kind of a humidity control if I go this route.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
Winnipeg has on average 798 hours out of 8760 total hours per year (9%) which the temperature is below -20 C.

Sooo that means that you'd only need supplemental heat running for 9% of the year?
Depends on the unit, they make specific cold area units, mine is rated -15c...

They make them for colder for more $$

I bought mine 99% for the 14-20 days of summer the house gets too hot

We are woodstove heat but there's a bunch of times where wife turns the baseboard on for an hour or so to take the edge off, instead of a fire the heat pump will SHINE here

I would be worried aboot the outside fans icing up while not being used and turning them on remotely or thermostatically

You WILL need a heat source for your COLD days, but air source heat pumps are cheap to buy and cheap to operate for most of your fall winter spring

cctyler

Mornin'
Nov 2, 2001
Winnipeg, Mb, Canada
@Samcanadian Im a builder/renovator in Winnipeg, haven’t seen a radiant ceiling system in ages what kind of fuckery have you got yourself into lol
Be careful with some of these southerners giving advice as they don’t realize how crazy our temperature swings from hot to cold.

If your basement is open, ducted forced air is going to be your best bet. If you’re stuck with electricity, so be it, expect to pay a few hundred a month in the winter to heat.

Heat pump is a good option to reduce energy costs, becoming more popular, add $1500-$2500 to the cost of AC compressor system (basically works in reverse to heat in shoulder season - Fall/ spring).

If you want to look at heating with a fireplace, check out an RSF fireplace which has a heat dump kit to distribute heat to other rooms.

Feel free to PM me for info, not looking to sell you anything. Just good fellowship.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
@Samcanadian Im a builder/renovator in Winnipeg, haven’t seen a radiant ceiling system in ages what kind of fuckery have you got yourself into lol
Be careful with some of these southerners giving advice as they don’t realize how crazy our temperature swings from hot to cold.

If your basement is open, ducted forced air is going to be your best bet. If you’re stuck with electricity, so be it, expect to pay a few hundred a month in the winter to heat.

Heat pump is a good option to reduce energy costs, becoming more popular, add $1500-$2500 to the cost of AC compressor system (basically works in reverse to heat in shoulder season - Fall/ spring).

If you want to look at heating with a fireplace, check out an RSF fireplace which has a heat dump kit to distribute heat to other rooms.

Feel free to PM me for info, not looking to sell you anything. Just good fellowship.

how are the mitsu hyper heats doing up there? their h2i stuff. how much run time on aux heat in a given avg year?

Leonard Washington

OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
The cooling costs in the summer are appealing too, and form the whole story for sure. Like, I'm very curious to see how well they do. I'm guessing they don't pull the humidity out of the air though, eh? I might need to add some kind of a humidity control if I go this route.

Bro

There is no humidity with ac

Also most of them can work as a dehumidifier as well

deesee22

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
Canada
Any idea of what a heatpump costs? I like the idea of it, just not sure how much $$$
Depends. My parents did a whole house ducted one for about $20k (replacing their existing furnace so the ducts were there)

My mini split was around $4k

There are federal rebates available for them

cctyler

Mornin'
Nov 2, 2001
Winnipeg, Mb, Canada
how are the mitsu hyper heats doing up there? their h2i stuff. how much run time on aux heat in a given avg year?
To be honest, I don’t have any first hand experience. I’m not an HVAC contractor and typically you will find forced air systems around these parts. But we are doing more heat pump based systems as time goes on.
There is a locall company that advertises some crazy efficient heat pumps but aren’t well known and I think are surrounded by skepticism.
Seen more mitsu systems in smaller infills/granny suites that I’m sure do fine but that’s 500-800 sq ft with electric base board backup heat.

Regardless, he will need supplementary heat as we’ll have stretches of -22 to -25f overnight for a week.

Reactions: Samcanadian

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
To be honest, I don’t have any first hand experience. I’m not an HVAC contractor and typically you will find forced air systems around these parts. But we are doing more heat pump based systems as time goes on.
There is a locall company that advertises some crazy efficient heat pumps but aren’t well known and I think are surrounded by skepticism.
Seen more mitsu systems in smaller infills/granny suites that I’m sure do fine but that’s 500-800 sq ft with electric base board backup heat.

Regardless, he will need supplementary heat as we’ll have stretches of -22 to -25f overnight for a week.

yup thats what i suggested. i think its the best balance of need and cost.

baseboards in living areas, inwalls for bathrooms. set to 50-60f.

heat pump unit for primary heat covering most of the heating hours.

Reactions: Newt

deesee22

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
Canada
Sheesh, I could get $5,000 back from the Province for one of these...

You can get $5k from the feds too https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/homes/canada-greener-homes-grant/23441 they’ll finance it at 0% too

Ore

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Hamilton ON
No way heat pumps work in winterpeg. Electricity must be super cheap there to afford electric heat through winterpeg winters.

Ore

OT Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Hamilton ON

I’m surprised they are installing them there every time I have been to Winnipeg it was -30c with no signs of warming up.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg

Thanks for reaching out. I recognize your name as one of the few Winnipeg OTers lol.

We have a wood burning stove in our current place and we run it all winter. Our heating costs are real low, and our furnace only kicks on at night. I hope to recreate that with the new place, and honestly this heat pump business will probably help me out more in the summer with AC.

I might hit you up on PM later, just for general house reno info. We've got a big project ahead of us and I'd love to bounce some ideas off an expert.

Reactions: whatever

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LandenStein