Just bought a house with in-ceiling heat...should I replace with mini splits or get ducting?

A Cow

OT Supporter
Jul 7, 2005
Vancouver BC
How do you like it? I'd be concerned about getting my rooms warm enough.
Fucking love it.

Now with that being said, my house never had AC ( or ducts before our unit is ductless ) and I have hot water heat for the heat source.. but the AC is fucking amazing.

On a 45c day i was able to keep my room ( that is notoriously hot due to the slanted roof + asphalt singles ) 24c without it breaking a sweat.

Power bill did go up a bit.. but keep the whole house cool was about the same as 2.5x 14k BTU standup AC units.. and that was only enough to cool two rooms.. Now i'm keeping the entire house cool just by turning it on and leaving the doors open.

Honestly if I had to make the decision again, I would have done it earlier.

A Cow

OT Supporter
Jul 7, 2005
Vancouver BC
Says 75% efficiency. :dunno:

I think mine just runs a heater coil when outside Temps get too low.
Most actually don't even need to do that unless it gets **FUCKING COLD**
they normally just run in "AC" mode for a few minutes to push heat into the coils to melt em.

cctyler

Mornin'
Nov 2, 2001
Winnipeg, Mb, Canada
Thanks for reaching out. I recognize your name as one of the few Winnipeg OTers lol.

We have a wood burning stove in our current place and we run it all winter. Our heating costs are real low, and our furnace only kicks on at night. I hope to recreate that with the new place, and honestly this heat pump business will probably help me out more in the summer with AC.

I might hit you up on PM later, just for general house reno info. We've got a big project ahead of us and I'd love to bounce some ideas off an expert.
The heat pump will run as an AC in the summer, its the shoulder seasons (between 15 to -10 some saying -25 now) where the heat pump will be more effective. We just installed 2 heat pumps at a cabin build in Lac Du Bonnet and curious how they will pay off. Still skeptical of the -25 efficieincy ratings that some claim.

Depending on the layout of the building, I like the idea of forced air with a wood burning stove/fireplace to be able to distribute that warm air evenly thoughout all rooms. Good on you for running a wood stove all winter, I enjoy it for the weekend at the cabin, but its work to keep it up 24/7 in the winter :bigthumb:

Reactions: Samcanadian

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
How's the foundation on the house?

My buddy bought a beautiful house in Wellington Crescent but he lowkey seems to have structural issues. Apparently, common because the ground is swampy.

Reactions: Samcanadian

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
Fucking love it.

Now with that being said, my house never had AC ( or ducts before our unit is ductless ) and I have hot water heat for the heat source.. but the AC is fucking amazing.

On a 45c day i was able to keep my room ( that is notoriously hot due to the slanted roof + asphalt singles ) 24c without it breaking a sweat.

Power bill did go up a bit.. but keep the whole house cool was about the same as 2.5x 14k BTU standup AC units.. and that was only enough to cool two rooms.. Now i'm keeping the entire house cool just by turning it on and leaving the doors open.

Honestly if I had to make the decision again, I would have done it earlier.
45c

Mmmhmm

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
How's the foundation on the house?

My buddy bought a beautiful house in Wellington Crescent but he lowkey seems to have structural issues. Apparently, common because the ground is swampy.
Rock solid. Brought a builder in before the sale date to take a look and he commented on it. It has less cracks in it than houses built 5 years ago. Basement floor is bare and unfinished and walls are uncovered so you can see everything, and it's immaculate.

Reactions: 2000GT
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
The heat pump will run as an AC in the summer, its the shoulder seasons (between 15 to -10 some saying -25 now) where the heat pump will be more effective. We just installed 2 heat pumps at a cabin build in Lac Du Bonnet and curious how they will pay off. Still skeptical of the -25 efficieincy ratings that some claim.

Depending on the layout of the building, I like the idea of forced air with a wood burning stove/fireplace to be able to distribute that warm air evenly thoughout all rooms. Good on you for running a wood stove all winter, I enjoy it for the weekend at the cabin, but its work to keep it up 24/7 in the winter :bigthumb:
It's kind of a hobby tbh. I'll drop a few trees in the winter, buck them and bring them back by sled/trailboggan and then split and stack them to get them ready for the next season. Nothing like stripping to a t shirt while chopping wood in - 25 to make you feel like a man :rofl:

Uncle Ruckus

hey y'all
Dec 8, 2004
Vaginal Passages Malibu
Friend of mine bought a house with a heated ceiling in the bedroom and bathroom. Possibly the dumbest thing ever. It's just fucking weird, like the concept of heat rising was a recent discovery. Probably senile old people getting screwed by shady contractors.

• Haha
Reactions: whatever
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Friend of mine bought a house with a heated ceiling in the bedroom and bathroom. Possibly the dumbest thing ever. It's just fucking weird, like the concept of heat rising was a recent discovery. Probably senile old people getting screwed by shady contractors.
See, there's an element of radiant heat that makes sense in that it will warm up your furniture, bed etc...but it just makes so much more sense to have it start at the bottom and let it naturally rise up and through the furniture to the ceiling. I suppose a ceiling fan on low would help the air move around and warm the place up, but you're right...it seems weird.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

Uncle Ruckus

hey y'all
Dec 8, 2004
Vaginal Passages Malibu
See, there's an element of radiant heat that makes sense in that it will warm up your furniture, bed etc...but it just makes so much more sense to have it start at the bottom and let it naturally rise up and through the furniture to the ceiling. I suppose a ceiling fan on low would help the air move around and warm the place up, but you're right...it seems weird.
Really I'd end up using it anyway, especially if electric forced air was the only other option.

Some winters it can get pretty cold here in western NC, but I've just been using two baseboard units and a radiator space heater for several years.

The recovery time after being gone for the day is the only real issue with radiant heat.

I've considered getting heated floor in the bathroom when replacing the linoleum with tile, someday.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
Really I'd end up using it anyway, especially if electric forced air was the only other option.

Some winters it can get pretty cold here in western NC, but I've just been using two baseboard units and a radiator space heater for several years.

The recovery time after being gone for the day is the only real issue with radiant heat.

I've considered getting heated floor in the bathroom when replacing the linoleum with tile, someday.
We have heated tile in all our bathrooms right now at our current place. I can't imagine a house in Winnipeg without them in the winter time.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
a serious must have.

when i build i will put them in the kitchen as well.
We will likely do the same.

I plan on making a thread regarding the home renos, as it's a huge project and I think it'll be a fun thing to do and keep track of. I'd appreciate any additional help when the time comes, you've been real helpful in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026