Just bought a house with in-ceiling heat...should I replace with mini splits or get ducting?

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
We will likely do the same.

I plan on making a thread regarding the home renos, as it's a huge project and I think it'll be a fun thing to do and keep track of. I'd appreciate any additional help when the time comes, you've been real helpful in this thread.

my running document on considerations. some apply to reno.

Reactions: 99SH
TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
@whatever

So I've got a guy coming tomorrow to have a look at the place. We take possession at 8:00 AM and he's coming at 12.

The plan is to get an air sourced heat pump for A/C in the summer, and Hot Air in the shoulder seasons...but rely on the janky in-ceiling heat for the really cold months when the Air Source heat pump doesn't do much anymore. We've bought a woodburning fireplace insert already and that'll be installed first week of November.

I'm still really considering geothermal to place in our well, and digging another well on the other side of the house for our water. It'll drop the cost of geothermal significantly if we don't need a closed loop system dug in the backyard, and there's $5-6,000 grants available through the Government to offset the heavy upfront cost.

Reactions: Muddy Waters

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
@whatever

So I've got a guy coming tomorrow to have a look at the place. We take possession at 8:00 AM and he's coming at 12.

The plan is to get an air sourced heat pump for A/C in the summer, and Hot Air in the shoulder seasons...but rely on the janky in-ceiling heat for the really cold months when the Air Source heat pump doesn't do much anymore. We've bought a woodburning fireplace insert already and that'll be installed first week of November.

I'm still really considering geothermal to place in our well, and digging another well on the other side of the house for our water. It'll drop the cost of geothermal significantly if we don't need a closed loop system dug in the backyard, and there's $5-6,000 grants available through the Government to offset the heavy upfront cost.

the jank in ceiling is like your emergency strip heat. the hyper heats from mitsu work really well down to cold. and even when its super cold out they just produce less heat; not no heat.

if those grants cover 75-80% of the cost of geothermal it sounds like a good choice.

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
the jank in ceiling is like your emergency strip heat. the hyper heats from mitsu work really well down to cold. and even when its super cold out they just produce less heat; not no heat.

if those grants cover 75-80% of the cost of geothermal it sounds like a good choice.
That's what I'm banking on. I'll lean on the heat for all but the coldest days, at which the reinforcement old guard cavalry comes in to help out the fancy new guys.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
i think that hyper heat is gona do just fine with some help from the 1970s in ceiling heat for a couple weeks outta the year.
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 4.36.38 PM.png

Reactions: Samcanadian

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
That's impressive, so basically it says that it's running at 100% efficiency at 5F? Even the 87% at -4 is impressive.

What I wanna know, is what's more efficient...this thing running at 75% at -13 or the 70's electrical kicking in to help it out?

i'd guess the heat pump. 100% is a COP greater than 3. 75% of 3 is still 2.25. ghetto heat is cop of 1.

i think your biggest challenge will be putting the outdoor unit in a place where snow doesnt build up on it. need to consider your drift locations

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
i'd guess the heat pump. 100% is a COP greater than 3. 75% of 3 is still 2.25. ghetto heat is cop of 1.

i think your biggest challenge will be putting the outdoor unit in a place where snow doesnt build up on it. need to consider your drift locations
I have a few spots I think I can put it. Either way, it's easy enough to brush off when I need to.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I have a few spots I think I can put it. Either way, it's easy enough to brush off when I need to.

ehhh it'll be annoying. just think about drifts and dont put it there or pop up a small fents.

but overall yea i think 350 days will be hyperheat only.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
As others have said, heat pump of some fashion. It will be the most efficient in your situation and also offer cooling in the summer.

And WTF coils on the ceiling? Heat rises, that has to be the most inefficient solution ever. :rofl:
exactly my thought. you're making the attic nice & toasty. wasting so much heat :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: whatever

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
Mini Split Ceiling Cassette Guide

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
how old is the hot water tank in this house, they make heat pump hot water heaters as well, they require a lil more clearance around them vs a normal hot water heater, and almost $1000 more, but SUPER efficient

can also get a heat pump clothes dryer

TS
TS
Samcanadian

Samcanadian

Said Amazon
Jul 30, 2005
Winnipeg
how old is the hot water tank in this house, they make heat pump hot water heaters as well, they require a lil more clearance around them vs a normal hot water heater, and almost $1000 more, but SUPER efficient

can also get a heat pump clothes dryer
Hmm I think it's pretty old too. I could replace it as well

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026