Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mutombo, Feb 28, 2009.
How much did you pay?
Bought it new from 17th St. Photo but used live cashback (8%) to cut $150 off
the beer can
it's wider and shorter than a beer can, isn't it?
fun lens. but doomed by the fact that you're afraid to take it anywhere
Thought it was called the keg?
So's my penis...
we expect some badass shots soon
I just completely shuffled up my lens lineup. Completed a trade of my 70-200 f4 IS for a 135L + cash. Now my lineup looks like this:
We'll see if I miss the telephoto zoom. Can't wait for all these new toys to get here!
Do you not do any shooting over 135mm?
I hadn't picked up my 70-200 in months, so I'm going to see how much I miss it. I'm gonna grab a 100-400L soon though so I should be alright.
Plus I have a 1.4x tc, which would give me 189 f2.8 on the 135L
Nice. You got the oft revered "trinity".
Nice...no go take some yoga classes to help you get some patience while the 85L is focusing.
I heard the focus on the 85L II isn't that bad. I'm not going to be using it for sports or anything like that, so I think it'll be fine.
a buddy of mine just got an 85L, he loves it, but when he tried it for basketball
that thing, plus a 5D is just shit for autofocusing though.
My 85L arrived on Friday but I haven't had a chance to play with it until now since I went out of town for the weekend. I put it on my 5D and started taking a few pictures around the apartment, then pointed it at my gf and she instantly said, "What is that HUGE fucking lens you're pointing at me? Is that new?"
Funny thing is that she is NOT perceptive at all when it comes to my camera gear. She hasn't noticed that my 40D became a 5D, or noticed any of the other lenses I've added. As long as it's black and has a red ring, it's all the same to her.
But she noticed the 85L. Thing's fucking huge. I'll post up some pics when I shoot something worthwhile.
(1) The AF isn't that bad. Yes, it's slow, but I understand it's not a sports lens. For what I'll be using it for, I think it will be fine.
(2) The focus by wire takes a little getting used to. The MF ring isn't really dampened, and the MF seems to be a little behind when you turn the ring.
(3) It's fucking huge. Heavier than the brick, and half the length.
(4) DOF is razor thin. At MFD, I bet it's only a half inch or so wide. I can already tell this isn't going to be a forgiving lens when focusing at f/1.2.
(5) It just sucks up light. I bet you could shoot in the dark with this thing and a 5D2.
I almost think about trading my 100-400 for a 70-200 sometimes, but its really only user error at the long end. When I use it correctly, it turns out awesome shots.
I also wish I had a tripod/head that could handle the weight
i dont use mine. sucks i cant find a eyepiece.