Just got done touring my daughter's new autism school

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
As I've said before, I have twin 9 year old girls. Both are autistic. One is mild, the other moderate.

The one who has just a mild case is doing great in a regular elementary school, she gets speech and some other therapies, and has an aid that helps her out throughout the day.

My other daughter is having a harder time of it.

At the beginning of the year she started at a school within our district that was just for kids with behavioral and other issues. Small class sizes, etc. However, a big part of the school was group therapy. And my kid doesn't talk much. She can talk. But talking about herself in group therapy just isn't a thing she's going to do.

So, they sent her back to the regular elementary school, and they put her in the "cross categorical" class, which is what we would have called the handicapped class back in the day.
Academically, she's doing great. She reads at a 7th grade level, she's great at math and science, and they dumped her in a room with a bunch of window lickers and left it up to her and an aid to work on her school work.
She's bored, she's not challenged, and she's started acting out because of this.

Monday, the principal called and asked what we would think of them sending her to a school just for autistic kids where they use ABA therapy.

For those interested - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_behavior_analysis

Yesterday my wife had a video chat with the class teacher and the principal of this new school and everything sounded great, so we went for a tour today.

Really, I just wanted to make sure the place didn't smell like shit and they were keeping the kids locked in rubber rooms or something.

However, I am super excited about what I saw. The classrooms are huge. 6 kids per class, and each kid has a one on one aid, in addition to the teacher.
When we walked in the class they already had a desk setup with her name on it, a locker, all that stuff. The class was watching their daily 10 minutes of world news on the projector.

They get 3 recesses a day, which is exactly what my daughter needs, she gets bored in class and needs to blow off steam.
They have a "sensory" room that's full of like foam rollers, swings, trampolines, all kinds of stuff to run and jump on.

They do have a padded room for if one of the kids has a meltdown, but there is no door on it, its just to keep them safe if they are thrashing around.
We have to sign some paperwork that says the aids are allowed to grab and restrain her, if she lashes out. Which I'm fine with, she's thrown chairs across the classroom before when she's gotten frustrated.

They also have a home-ec type class room where they teach life skill, like how to clean, cook, do laundry, that sort of stuff.

Our school district is paying the tuition, and for transportation. She'll get picked up by a bus every day that has a wifi hotspot so she can play on her tablet because its about an hour drive to the school.

Pretty excited - she's gotten bounced around a lot the last few years and I think this place is going to be perfect for her.

The principal at our local school said she had a boy go there a few years ago that was acting out and uncontrollable and after a few years he was able to come back to the regular school and be completely independent with no aid or help or anything.

And the kids in her class were hilarious. We walk in and they all start asking her name and told her they were looking forward to having her in the class. She's going to be the only girl with 5 boys. This kid that sits next to her immediately pipes up "She's going to be my girlfriend!" and gave me a fist bump. :bowrofl:

TL/DR - Autistic daughter starting school at an awesome new school that's going to help her a lot.

Edit - forgot to mention the Rastafarian nurse that runs a "girls club" for all the girls in the school. They get together on Fridays and paint nails and do each others hair.

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Any hot teachers?

So its actually 2 different schools in the same building. One is for autism, the other is for mentally handicapped kids, like Downs and that sort of stuff.
We were walking from the class to the gym and had to go through the other "school". On the way there, there is this cute teacher using a rope to hold a door shut, I guess one of the kids was having a total meltdown and they had him in a padded room and had to keep him from running off. She said there was an aid in there with him, I think they realized how bad that looked to see on a tour of the place. But I totally get it, we've dealt with this sort of stuff.

A few years ago my daughter would have melt downs in class, strip naked and run out of the building.

Reactions: whatever

lawnboy

Can I get uhhhh
May 5, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
best of luck. My hat goes off to parents of children with special needs- My son is a handful, if he was special needs on top of it i don't know how i'd deal.

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
best of luck. My hat goes off to parents of children with special needs- My son is a handful, if he was special needs on top of it i don't know how i'd deal.

Yeah, I have twins with Autism AND ADHD. So much fun.
Oh, and anxiety, which apparently goes along with autism. So both are on low dose zoloft, which seems to be helping a lot.

Reactions: lawnboy

popnfresh

Cuddle Bitch
Nov 4, 2001
1/4 life crisis
Good for you for recognizing the needs

i know people that work with kids with issues like this and they says it’s the ducking parents 50% of the time fucking it up

Reactions: Jinx

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
serious question - do jokes on the internet like "autistic screeching" bother you at all?

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Good for you for recognizing the needs

i know people that work with kids with issues like this and they says it’s the ducking parents 50% of the time fucking it up

I have neighbors that have a handicapped son. He caught acute flaccid myelitis a few years ago and is now mostly a quadriplegic, he can move one foot enough to drive a wheel chair.

They turned down a free van with a chair lift because my neighbor "don't want no minivan, my truck works fine". So every time they go somewhere they have to get out ramps and put the wheelchair in the bed of the truck.

Bunch of complete dumbasses.

Zimmy76

I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic
Nov 15, 2001
Hope everything works out for the best and she does great in the new school.

Reactions: lugoismad
TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
serious question - do jokes on the internet like "autistic screeching" bother you at all?

I also laugh when people talk about "weaponized autism", because I know exactly what thats like. When either of my girls are in to something, they are in to it hard core and with full concentration.

Janson

OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2003
Davidson, NC
So its actually 2 different schools in the same building. One is for autism, the other is for mentally handicapped kids, like Downs and that sort of stuff.
We were walking from the class to the gym and had to go through the other "school". On the way there, there is this cute teacher using a rope to hold a door shut, I guess one of the kids was having a total meltdown and they had him in a padded room and had to keep him from running off. She said there was an aid in there with him, I think they realized how bad that looked to see on a tour of the place. But I totally get it, we've dealt with this sort of stuff.

A few years ago my daughter would have melt downs in class, strip naked and run out of the building.
So she's cute and handy with ropes... :naughty:

deaddweeb

Gundy, Gunder, Gunthy, Goonter, Günder... GUNTER!
OT Supporter
Aug 15, 2004
Everett, WA
Sounds great. Best of luck and hope her sister won’t miss her too much being in another school.

Are they identical? I have an identical twin brother.

TS
TS
lugoismad

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Sounds great. Best of luck and hope her sister won’t miss her too much being in another school.

Are they identical? I have an identical twin brother.

Yep, identical. I think its "mirror image" twins. They have identical moles and stuff but on opposite sides. One is right handed, the other left handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarRice