ART Just one of those fucking days - C&C please

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
(Yes, I expect you to read allthatshit by me :squint: )

On the weekend I had a shoot for the cover of a local band's new EP. Just about every 'real world' problem that could have appeared did. The group was late. The model was later. They were in the wrong spot. They didn't give me creative control, which is ok, IF they had some creative ideas of their own instead of staring at me blankly when it came time to get shooting.

The very limited brief was your typical post apocalyptic, last person alive on earth in a barren wasteland, blahblah. So of course the model shows up with purple nail polish, big pink earrings and makeup like she's going out on a Friday night, and keeps smiling when I point teh camera at her.

"Yeah we've got this gas mask thing as well..."

"Kind of want not black and white, not colour..."

"Just give us something kick ass"

So basically had "gas mask" and "barren wasteland" and the EP name of Last Survivor to work with, and with them being late and the sun quickly going down I had very limited time to work in, so was very rushed and didn't take as much time as I wanted to make sure each shot was nailed before moving on.

Yes I know these are real world problems that people encounter every day. I'm just having a rant.

So anyway, the images. Not having done this before and not having a creative director to answer to, I basically picked a range of images and did a range of edits on them to present to the band so they have something to choose from. Thought I'd post up here so you guys can tear them to pieces before I go to the band.

Please focus mostly on post-processing if you are going to critique, since obviously some things I can't fix after the fact (eg hair placement in 2).

1 a/b
JHCC-2.jpg
JHCC-1.jpg

2 a/b
JHCC-4.jpg
JHCC-3.jpg

3 a/b
JHCC-6.jpg
JHCC-5.jpg

4 a/b
JHCC-8.jpg
JHCC-7.jpg

5 a/b
JHCC-10.jpg
JHCC-9.jpg

TS
TS
charles foster kane

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
4 and 5 were pretty much just me shooting because I like shooting strobed people against a sunset like that and by that point I was just like, fuck this I'm gonna just shoot what I want to shoot. I wasn't even going to include them in the deliverables but the model and the band loved them so whatever. They won't be used on the album cover but they'll get a kick outta them

also she looks like she's got downs in the last pic but she's actually really hot. I'll probably work with her again if she can get her shit in order and learn to take direction better

TS
TS
charles foster kane

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Maybe add a little grain? The images are good...she just needs to be grungy looking.
The B&Ws have a fair bit of grain already, but I don't really think colour and grain mix very well

Gotta remember that CD covers are only 4.75" square so if you want to go spastic adding grain you're going to sacrifice a lot of fine detail

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I took one of the B&W shots and ran it back through Silver Efex with a shitton of grain and increased the exposure.

ILVly.jpg

Obviously the grain looks like doodoo on a 600x600 pixel image, but you get the idea.

TS
TS
charles foster kane

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Ehhh I used SilverEfex for all of those B&W edits :o

But you made me realise just how fucking muddy that edit is, so thanks... thats basically why I made the thread before delivering the images :h5:

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
3 is the best for an album cover I think

Definitely.

I have no input on the shots; they are fine. She looks very awkward holding the gas mask in every shot. Like it's some really dirty thing she's not thrilled to be touching.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan