Just set up a new fish tank

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Silver Member
May 22, 2000
CA
How long until everything is dead?

First tank came in shattered. Got the replacement today.

Eur2YUr.jpg

1 week in and ammonia @ 1 PPM, with no signs of nitrates. :noes: This was after doing a ~25% water change.
pAjmV0Q.jpg

So 3 weeks later and I'm still getting 1.0PPM of ammonia, with 0 nitrates. :hmm: Even with added shit from establish tanks. :wtf:
I'm getting some new growth from the plants but I'm also getting a lot of them "melting". Everything is still alive though. I've been adding some AmmoLock in to neutralize the ammonia.
kygnPAe.jpg

1/28
Shit, just lost both cherry shrimp. :hs:

1/29
FFFFUUUUU, Just found out I lost 2 of the celestial pearl danios. :wtc: They were halfway sucked into the intake vents. I dont know if they were dead when that happened or died because that happened. :hs: The other 3 remaining ones are very skittish now. All hiding in the plants at the back and near the bottom. :hs:

I just tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
~ .5-1 PPM ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates

:wtf: 3 weeks and nothing yet.

Just added a capful of SeaChem Stablity.

So 4 weeks now.
5 days of SeaChem Stability and still no change. Ammonia still about .5-1 PPM and 0 for nitrites and nitrates. :wtf:

mqTnhA1.jpg

2/10
Week 5
So over a week worth of SeaChem stability and I'm still getting .5-1PPM ammonia and nothing else. :hs: :wtf:
At least it seems my plants are growing with runners, even though I am getting melting on some leaves.

vQ00scP.jpg

i2rVb6e.jpg

38c7xRg.jpg

2/17
Week 6.
Another week and no changes to the water parameters. :wtf:
Still about .5-1 PPM of ammonia. 0 nitrites and nitrates. :confused:
So the tank has been running for 6 weeks now. :wtf:

DAXK2zk.jpg

grLfVSY.jpg

3/10
Getting algae but water still at 1 PPM ammonia and 0 nitrites and nitrates. :wtf:
I did take out the deadish clump of hairgrass on the left last week. It looked like it wasnt growing well and dying off, so whatever.
zSllhxj.jpg

11/27/21
So here we are. Over 10 months in and the majority of the original inhabitants are still there. I did lose all my shrimps. I thought it's cuz I have soft water and wasnt adding any calcium. The last one lasted quite a while. A big yellow one but it just vanished lol. Also lost a celestial pearl danio.

I had to chop back so much of the spreading plant. At one point, I think I had almost as many as I started off with chopping it. This fucked up my balance and there weren't enough plants to lower my nitrates. I didn't do a water change in almost 2 months since it was holding low nitrates. I was probably at 60 PPM a couple of weeks after the chopping.

It has grown back quite a bit. I started getting some beard algae I think.

Went to the pet store the other day and added 5 chili rasboras and 2 amano shrimp. We'll see if the amanos will eat these hair and beard algae. Also added a new flamingo crypt, moneywart and floating lettuce. Wanted some fast growing plants to help balance the tank.

My lonely Otto does a great job of algae on the rocks but terrible on the glass and wall.

I didn't realize how much my danios have grown. When I was about to add the new creatures, they are so tiny I'm afraid they will get gobbled up.

They still alive next day tho :x:
9C9izgQ.jpg

1/6/22

1 year mark and LED light is dead.
GCERuAs.jpg

2/3/22
RIP Dwarf Gourami
T3CcZjC.jpg

4/17/22
Added 10 shrimps a couple of months ago. They are breeding and got babies in here now. Also added some more stem plants last week. I don't like how the dwarf chain sword sends out runners. They climb and fuck shit up and looks messy to me. Added some of these rotellas iirc and will see how they do.
NUJP2E5.jpg

uRHxDpM.jpg

Last edited:

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
I'm glad you started this thread because I'm having trouble with our fish tank, too.

A couple months ago, we purchased a 10 Gallon fish tank for a gold fish my daughter won at a carnival over a year ago. We keep it in a bowl for over a year, assuming the thing wouldn't last. But the little fella stayed strong. We constantly changed the water, fed it, etc. So I figured he deserved an upgrade.

However, this new 10 gallon tank is always cloudy as fuck. Like someone poured a half gallon of milk in there. I've drained the water half way a few times and always replace about 20% of the water on a weekly basis. Still, it won't clear. PH levels are good. We only use distilled water when filling up the tank. But it's won't come clear up.

Any idea on what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Here's what we bought:

www.amazon.com/Marina-LED-Aquarium-Kit-Gallon/dp/B0173I55JM

rpU5Yrr.jpg

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
I'm glad you started this thread because I'm having trouble with our fish tank, too.

A couple months ago, we purchased a 10 Gallon fish tank for a gold fish my daughter won at a carnival over a year ago. We keep it in a bowl for over a year, assuming the thing wouldn't last. But the little fella stayed strong. We constantly changed the water, fed it, etc. So I figured he deserved an upgrade.

However, this new 10 gallon tank is always cloudy as fuck. Like someone poured a half gallon of milk in there. I've drained the water half way a few times and always replace about 20% of the water on a weekly basis. Still, it won't clear. PH levels are good. We only use distilled water when filling up the tank. But it's won't come clear up.

Here's what we bought:

rpU5Yrr.jpg
Filtration is absolutely key. Its like "oil changes on your car" important. those little hang-on-back filters are the minimum I'd consider acceptable even for a small tank. It will never stay clear without a filter. Also goldfish generate a lot of waste compared to some other types of fish. Remember that every bit of food that goes into that tank gets converted to waste and remains in that tank even if you cant see it, so filtration, filter cleaning and gravel cleaning is needed along with weekly water changes.

A lot of beginners say "well I thought goldfish could live in a bowl with nothing else and be fine" and they are kinda right...because goldfish are very hardy fish. But to extend their life and livelihood, a basic setup is needed.

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
Filtration is absolutely key. Its like "oil changes on your car" important. those little hang-on-back filters are the minimum I'd consider acceptable even for a small tank. It will never stay clear without a filter. Also goldfish generate a lot of waste compared to some other types of fish. Remember that every bit of food that goes into that tank gets converted to waste and remains in that tank even if you cant see it, so filtration, filter cleaning and gravel cleaning is needed along with weekly water changes.

A lot of beginners say "well I thought goldfish could live in a bowl with nothing else and be fine" and they are kinda right...because goldfish are very hardy fish. But to extend their life and livelihood, a basic setup is needed.
So a better filter for the tank, huh? What would you suggest? It came with a a Marina Slim S15 clip on filter, which, apparently, isn't doing the trick. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but I do want the little fella to have a clean, healthy environment.

TS
TS
A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Silver Member
May 22, 2000
CA

Here's what we bought:

rpU5Yrr.jpg
What substrate did you put in there? Did you rinse it out very well?

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
What do you mean?
research 'cycle aquarium". You need to establish live bacteria in the tank filter before adding fish, because if you add fish to an uncycled tank you will get toxin spikes when the bacteria (from the initial round of fish waste) establish themselves, and those toxin spikes can kill the fish. So you colonize the tank with the bacteria before adding fish and let the spikes pass via water changes, then once it's stable, you add fish. This is about a 2 week process.

Last edited:

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
What substrate did you put in there? Did you rinse it out very well?
Wife bought that. Some white, pebble rocks. Yeah, rinsed them really good. The tank was crystal clear for the couple of days it was running before we put the fish in. Had to get the PH levels right and all before putting the fish in. But within a week of the fish being placed in there, cloud city.

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
So a better filter for the tank, huh? What would you suggest? It came with a a Marina Slim S15 clip on filter, which, apparently, isn't doing the trick. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but I do want the little fella to have a clean, healthy environment.
Maybe a better filter, yes. It could be that the goldfish is just making more waste than the "stock" filter can clean. But first, are you overfeeding? What kind of food, sinking or floating? Gravel or sand or bare bottom? Gravel is standard for beginner tanks but it is awful for retaining waste...sand or bare bottom tanks are much easier to keep clean, both for the filter itself and for you when you do water changes and vacuum the bottom.

D3aC0n

Vesa ToskaLOL
OT Supporter
Jun 16, 2003
Toronto
"cloudy" water could mean anything. Hard to tell from that description whether it's cloudly because it's dirty or cloudy as in something like bacterial bloom.

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
Maybe a better filter, yes. It could be that the goldfish is just making more waste than the "stock" filter can clean. But first, are you overfeeding? What kind of food, sinking or floating? Gravel or sand or bare bottom? Gravel is standard for beginner tanks but it is awful for retaining waste...sand or bare bottom tanks are much easier to keep clean, both for the filter itself and for you when you do water changes and vacuum the bottom.
I don't think we're over feeding it. But maybe we are. We use standard gold fish flakes. I was told that you should feed it twice a day and give it no more than he can eat in 30 seconds, so that's what we do. We're using white gravel pebbles on the floor. We have a little pump for cleaning them gravel, but I do take it out every so often and clean it by hand at times.

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
I don't think we're over feeding it. But maybe we are. We use standard gold fish flakes. I was told that you should feed it twice a day and give it no more than he can eat in 30 seconds, so that's what we do. We're using white gravel pebbles on the floor. We have a little pump for cleaning them gravel, but I do take it out every so often and clean it by hand at times.
Yeah thats about right. Flakes are inherently messy, and gravel retains waste, so you might change those two things up and see what happens. Go with small floating pellets and try bare bottom for a few weeks.

Mammoth

I should be working.
OT Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Michigan
Yeah thats about right. Flakes are inherently messy, and gravel retains waste, so you might change those two things up and see what happens. Go with small floating pellets and try bare bottom for a few weeks.
Thanks. I'll try that. What about the Marina Slim S15 clip on filter, do you think that's adequate or should I upgrade (and if so, to what)?

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
Thanks. I'll try that. What about the Marina Slim S15 clip on filter, do you think that's adequate or should I upgrade (and if so, to what)?
Do you know the hourly flow rate? I mean it should be okay for just one fish. Try taking the foam/sponge piece out and rinsing it out in the bathtub once daily (backward flow) and see if it clears up the water.

D3aC0n

Vesa ToskaLOL
OT Supporter
Jun 16, 2003
Toronto
Personally, I'm not convinced you need a new filter although if you really wanted to, I'd look at the smallest Aquaclear. Those filters don't force you into buying their own branded filter media

that said... are you by chance replacing the media in the filter or washing them on a regular basis?

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
First goldfish needs 20g and 10g extra for each one after that. They're dirty fish

I set up a 8.75g Aqueon shrimp tank this week because I put a ton of skrimps in my 65g tank and they're the most interesting my freshwater tank has been since I set up reef tanks

Reactions: michael and D3aC0n

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor