FIT Just started using a 45* hyper bench, painful stretch in hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
I was using like 50lbs of weight. My back can lift it no problem, but I had pain in my hamstrings. Should I drop the weight to allow my hamstrings to adapt or what?

TS
TS
phelix

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
yes. drop the weight.

describe the pain? have you had flexibility issues in the past?
Just a typical "stretching a little too much" feeling, like if I keep going something might tear or break. It's localized behind the knees. Didn't persist after the lift at all. I'm 6'4" so that's a lot of leverage on my poor skinny legs. No flexibility issues as far as I know, at least not in the legs.

Last edited:
TS
TS
phelix

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
I do alright on the "knee to the wall, foot flat on the ground as far away from the wall as possible" flexibility test. I can fist the floor with knees locked, but not flat-hand it. Any other flexibility tests that apply here?

GTLifter

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Durty Durty ATL Niggah
I do alright on the "knee to the wall, foot flat on the ground as far away from the wall as possible" flexibility test. I can fist the floor with knees locked, but not flat-hand it. Any other flexibility tests that apply here?
those test are flawed due to limb length. I can palm the floor due to my long arms but I am not flexible.

I would start doing some mobility work on a daily basis if you're that locked up doing back raises.

TS
TS
phelix

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
Thanks for the tip. Should I just add the good old "sit on the floor and grab your toes with knees locked" stretch to my daily stretching routine, or do you recommend something else? I looked through the stickies real quick and didn't really see anything on this.

half zip

Banned
Nov 23, 2007
Just a typical "stretching a little too much" feeling, like if I keep going something might tear or break. It's localized behind the knees. Didn't persist after the lift at all. I'm 6'4" so that's a lot of leverage on my poor skinny legs. No flexibility issues as far as I know, at least not in the legs.

Are you sure it's your hamstrings and not your calves? The calves cross the knees and limit your ability to bend at the hips when you keep your knees straight, producing discomfort "behind the knees" that is easily mistaken for hamstrings tightness.

Last edited:
TS
TS
phelix

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
Are you sure it's your hamstrings and not your calves? The calves cross the knees and limit your ability to bend at the hips when you keep your knees straight, producing discomfort "behind the knees" that is easily mistaken for hamstrings tightness.
Maybe. The tightness is in the tendon on the inner side of my leg behind the knee (left side of my right leg and right side of my left leg).

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
there are small muscles that crisscross behind the knees that are neither hamstring nor calves, fyi. popliteus and plantaris.

but from what you describe it sounds like strain on the semitendinosus/semimembranosus muscles (two fo the muscles of the hamstring that attach on the "inside" of the knee)

if you feel the pain behind your knee both when you dorsiflex and plantar flex.. i would think you can eliminate a tightness in the calves.

TS
TS
phelix

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
there are small muscles that crisscross behind the knees that are neither hamstring nor calves, fyi. popliteus and plantaris.

but from what you describe it sounds like strain on the semitendinosus/semimembranosus muscles (two fo the muscles of the hamstring that attach on the "inside" of the knee)
Based on where those muscles are labeled on this diagram that sounds right
Gray1239.png

if you feel the pain behind your knee both when you dorsiflex and plantar flex.. i would think you can eliminate a tightness in the calves.
How should I do these tests? Sitting? Ankle supported or unsupported? Knees locked?

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
sorry, i read 45* hyper and interpreted that as reverse hyper. the ankle/foot position should be consistent.

unlock your knees, don't bounce at the bottom.

do it with body weight and see if you still have pain after making the changes. increase weight as you go.

TS
TS
phelix

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
sorry, i read 45* hyper and interpreted that as reverse hyper. the ankle/foot position should be consistent.

unlock your knees, don't bounce at the bottom.

do it with body weight and see if you still have pain after making the changes. increase weight as you go.
I definitely don't have any pain with body weight, ez bar, or ez bar + 15 lbs, because I did those weights for warm-up. I was keeping my knees locked for all of those. Once I started my work sets of ez bar + 25lbs, I started getting that pain. Tried unlocking my knees but I just couldn't hold them unlocked really. I guess that's a pretty fucking obvious indication that I need to drop the weight to train up my hamstrings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor