ART Just swapped 40d to 5d.... first impressions....

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
Ok well i was lucky enough to find someone wanting more reach than the 5d could offer. So we traded my 40d with a sigma 18-50 Macro 2.8 for his 5d body. My impressions.

Build:
40d and 5d are on par, however i would give the build to the 40d, I dunno why but it feels more substantial in my hands. Everything feels just a little bit tighter on the 40d. But the 5d def feels ahead of my old 30d back up.

IQ:
Well there isnt much to say, we all know the 5d images seem quite different than the 40d. Just better. Maybe its the depth you see. Or the better looking OOF areas, i dunno, just something abotu it is better. Not to mention teh lower noise, and the better white balance.

AF:
I hate to say it but the 40d is miles ahead of the 5d when it comes to focusing, i didnt think i would notice much of a difference but man, its true the digic 3 and the cross sensors do magic. The way the 40d locks on to focus is sooo much faster. When i point at something It snaps to it. the 5d is a bit slower. even with the 85 1.8, its substatially faster with the 40d than it is with the 5d. AF is notably slower on every AF point other than the center. Its the name of the game, thank god i have my 1dmkiiN for the fast moving stuff.

All in all, if i didnt need the extra Noise performance, and the DOF of the 5d, i would still have the 40d. Definately without saying the 40d is a much more well rounded camera. But if Picture quality is your only concern the 5d is for you.

TS
TS
turbodude

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
Now that you swapped would you want to swap back or happy with your decision?

Im happy because i need the the DOF and IQ quality for certain food editorials for work. Plus i think i got the better end of the trade. But if i didnt have the 1dmkiiN, i wouldnt have the 5d as my sole camera.

TS
TS
turbodude

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
i dunno how long ill be here... I upgraded mainly because the cam is worth more than what i traded it for, and of course the DOF and IQ. I want a mkiii to compliment my mkiiN

TS
TS
turbodude

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
perhaps, saving up for the 1dmkiii. But just bought a grip for this things, i cant handle not using my handstrap. Cameras without grips hurt my hand.

adamlewis88

Dec 2, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I only use center point.

I find focus, especially with servo, is more accurate with the 5D than it was with my 40D.

I would fully expect the outer points to be better on the 40D than the 5D though. It is a couple years newer...

TS
TS
turbodude

turbodude

Just a photographer
OT Supporter
Jun 17, 2002
Las Vegas
I only use center point.

I find focus, especially with servo, is more accurate with the 5D than it was with my 40D.

I would fully expect the outer points to be better on the 40D than the 5D though. It is a couple years newer...

yeah i dont use AI servo on teh 5d. I use it in teh clubs , for products, and portraits. 1d for everything else

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
apparently the 40d can be had for $600ish now which makes me want to upgrade my XT, no real reason to do it though :o

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor