ENT Just watched shamalyans Old

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
This I would like to see. Stuff that treats the audience like dummies really grates on me more than anything and there were a few of those moments that kinda ruined it for me.
which moments exactly?

i don't recall any

emanuel

baby girl, how do I look in my durag?
OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2005
SoCal
This I would like to see. Stuff that treats the audience like dummies really grates on me more than anything and there were a few of those moments that kinda ruined it for me. Still pretty cool but not up to the lighthouse standards
this

the filmmakers assuming i'm not paying attention or that i can't grasp the story is becoming a major major pet peeve of mine

emanuel

baby girl, how do I look in my durag?
OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2005
SoCal
which moments exactly?

i don't recall any
this is minor, but the studio wanted him to add the title card 'some years later' before the rowing sequence cause apparently the tracking shot that ends up with him at the center of the frame wasn't obvious enough

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
this is minor, but the studio wanted him to add the title card 'some years later' before the rowing sequence cause apparently the tracking shot that ends up with him at the center of the frame wasn't obvious enough
didn't notice this at all tbh

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I think the older I get the less I am likely to nitpick minor particulars in projects.

I like to think about things holistically

TS
TS
sans_pants

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
which moments exactly?

i don't recall any

some of the moments between the two mains were like ok this is the plan we are going to do it and then the next day it's like ok now we will do the plan which is this type stuff

impossible for me to remember at this point

also something that really stuck out to me was after they escape i think there are like 3 mediocre shots in a row of them traveling on horseback when one actually good shot would have been preferable

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i thought old was decent, not that remarkable. they made some changes to the story that i felt kind of cheapened it, especially the ending and the way the baby died.

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
nope is a hundred times better, no contest, it is not even remotely close.
if they have to be compared for some reason, I'd agree it is not even remotely close. just not in the way that you stated.

Reactions: CASUAL-SS

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
the baby just died after one minute due to lack of attention :rofl:

even within the constraints of the rules of this narrative that makes zero sense

Reactions: Tesla Death Ray

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
M night doesn't know how people actually talk

It constantly bothers me. The sixth sense is the only one where I don't notice that

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Bro @Keksim this is like a 2/10 man

even like a shot where it goes from a calm shot of the bay to the furious waters at the shoreline are unintentionally funny

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Bresson and Cronenberg don't either

or maybe none of them are too concerned with realism
nah that's bogus

he's striving for a realistic dive into this, at least from the humanistic angle, otherwise he wouldn't get a greenlight

it just has poor execution man

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
nah that's bogus

he's striving for a realistic dive into this, at least from the humanistic angle, otherwise he wouldn't get a greenlight

it just has poor execution man
I strongly disagree, but that seems to constantly be my somewhat minority view of his entire career.

I think he's one of the best image makers working today for starters. His and Gioulakis' photography are pristine in this. Some shots almost inexplicably conceived. Decisions to keep the camera away from ongoing dialogue, consistently ramping up the intended / unexpected suspense of events, are for lack of a better word genius.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
i thought it was lousy how they completely just removed the whole colonialist / racist angle from the story entirely, and the ending was so much worse than the comic book ending. almost comically stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza