ENT Just watched shamalyans Old

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Nice man. Had a good feeling you'd like it more this time. A real nihilistic cavalcade that only lets you come up for air ever so often, as Schrader is wont to do. Marty uses his script perfectly imo.

I agree with that last bit. Or at least in league with Kundun. I guess audiences just didn't 'get him' in the late 90s.
Schrader's script was absolutely perfect

Reactions: KneeGar

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Trade kundun for aviator?
Liked Aviator a lot. Glad you pushed me to finally get to it. Leo's portrayal of Hughes and his descents into frequent mania was very well done. Cate Blanchett playing Katie Hepburn was even better and that's really saying something. She's phenomenal, constantly. Loved the hearing scene near the end especially. Excellent stuff all around.

Reactions: majesty and Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Liked Aviator a lot. Glad you pushed me to finally get to it. Leo's portrayal of Hughes and his descents into frequent mania was very well done. Cate Blanchett playing Katie Hepburn was even better and that's really saying something. She's phenomenal, constantly. Loved the hearing scene near the end especially. Excellent stuff all around.
Nice, glad you liked it. When I finally rewatched it last year found that it remained quite captivating. That crash sequence was exceptional imo. Top tier direction

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Nice, glad you liked it. When I finally rewatched it last year found that it remained quite captivating. That crash sequence was exceptional imo. Top tier direction
Yeah it definitely was.

I liked how immediately after the crash and he was being checked on by a passerby he goes, 'I'm Howard Hughes, The Aviator.' :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Sphygmo

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Marty! Kundun! I loved it!
I think the most under talked about aspect of the Sopranos is its love for the superior medium. Everything from watching Cagney and other old black and whites to Tony longing for Gary Cooper's strong silent type in people. From A.J. giving the Matrix to Carmella for her birthday in season 1 to the show's final scene and its paranoia echoing the Godfather's bathroom sequence. It's honestly constant and endlessly rewarding. There are a few other shows that get into a similar groove like Mad Men with Draper taking his son to see Planet of the Apes or referencing an Antonioni film with his new flame, normally always thematically speaking about social issues. Or Jimmy and Kim often watching older films and action flicks in Better Call Saul. But none have ever been so consumed with its love for film than the Sopranos.

Tony Soprano, a true cinephile.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
What was the twist. I don’t remember.

a pharma company was using the area with its mystical power of rapid time progression to test drugs without having to actually wait for years to get results, in the book there was no explanations or answers for anything and there was nothing outside the area at all, which i preferred

Reactions: DCC

DCC

I am reality and I crash the party
OT Supporter
Apr 21, 2004
Working against keeping ATX weird
a pharma company was using the area with its mystical power of rapid time progression to test drugs without having to actually wait for years to get results, in the book there was no explanations or answers for anything and there was nothing outside the area at all, which i preferred
Thanks
I just didn’t remember except there was some company involved
Wasn’t going to rewatch but I prob could have fast forwarded as I think it’s streaming somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza