Large Monitor Crew - window size and placement program?

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
Is there a good program to make Win 7 or 10 remember my odd window sizes and placement for a 32" monitor? Every time my computer sleeps it resizes the window to post-it size and shoves it up in the top left for some reason.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
I just turned off sleep mode, most PC's have decent power management these days and unless it's a laptop there's almost no reason to have them go to sleep anymore. :o

most of the window size/placement management programs that I'm aware of haven't been updated since 2009 at the latest as well, so good luck in your search.

TS
TS
Thunderbear

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
That .. makes a lot of sense, although I'd hardly call my PC recent. Old Optiplex 9010 mildly upgraded with a GeForce 750 and 500gb SSD.

Got a great deal on a Samsung 4K during the holidays, so getting used to a biiig single monitor instead of a 24" 1080 and a 20" 1680x1050 portrait setup.

RoblesGT

#PuertoRicoLibre
OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2001
San Diego
this dude has a 32 incher ya'll

Plasma-Screen-PERC.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Cicada

brianpsx

It betta go up
OT Supporter
Nov 29, 2001
Fullerton, CA
I'm using a free program from Dell, which lets me split my dual 34's into 4 different sized windows.

Then when I drag a window to that section, it snaps into place.

If you're interested in the program, I can grab it when I'm at home.

Edit: Dell Display Manager is the name of it.

Last edited:

2000GT

Jan 21, 2001
I'm using a free program from Dell, which lets me split my dual 34's into 4 different sized windows.

Then when I drag a window to that section, it snaps into place.

If you're interested in the program, I can grab it when I'm at home.

Edit: Dell Display Manager is the name of it.
DDM is great. You can keyboard shortcuts to switch between inputs if you have more than one monitor. The built in window splits are also very good.

Reactions: brianpsx
TS
TS
Thunderbear

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
Multiple monitors?

Yeah, two 4Ks, a 28" Lenovo and a 32" Samsung. Everything gets shoved to the Samsung and rescaled to 100% which is tiiiiiny on a 4K

Mine does that too and i have a 49” — every time it sleeps, all the windows go to the left

using fancyzones

Using fancyzones to correct this behavior, or it's happening in spite of?

wabash9000

Dec 27, 2006
Olathe, KS
I sleep my computer every night and I don't have any issues with it on windows 10. I do have fancyzones in installed but I don't ever use it.

Never tested it but Windows 11 is supposed to handle windows on different monitors better than Windows 10. When you unplug a monitor it will minimize all the windows on the monitor and then if you don't use them it will restore their locations once the monitor comes back. I bought a 2 monitor KVM for my 2 computers and at work and on windows 7 it was basically unusable because every time I switched it would resize all of my windows to 800x600. Really annoying and the only reason I'm tempted by W11 at the moment.

Jek

OT Supporter
Apr 6, 2004
Palm Beach County FL
Yeah, two 4Ks, a 28" Lenovo and a 32" Samsung. Everything gets shoved to the Samsung and rescaled to 100% which is tiiiiiny on a 4K

Using fancyzones to correct this behavior, or it's happening in spite of?
99% chance that is your problem. If you have two different resolutions the computer is shifting one of the monitors to match the resolution of the other. what are the resolutions on the monitors?

TS
TS
Thunderbear

Thunderbear

Yggdrasil's Forester.
99% chance that is your problem. If you have two different resolutions the computer is shifting one of the monitors to match the resolution of the other. what are the resolutions on the monitors?

3840x2160 on both. Both at 150% scale.

Interestingly the refresh rate was different. I made them the same, we'll see if that somehow has an effect.

I'm using the trial of Aquasnap which helps snap windows to edges, but free version only works on one monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman