TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
This place has done something like 200,000 procedures and the Doctor is highly regarded etc so I wasn’t worried there. But between their efficiency and the fact the machines were doing most of the work with them really only calling out numbers or telling me “suction on” or “you’re doing great” it just felt wild to me
Probably the hardest part for me mentally was once he pressed the cutter down on my eye to create the flap. The little dude in the back of my head that starts jabbering when I get scared was going apeshit, and I was thinking "this has just become a one-way street - no way to back out now..." :noes:

I *hated* the feeling of being trapped. But it didn't last long, and the pills and staff definitely helped.

Reactions: whatever and Nikuk

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A
Probably the hardest part for me mentally was once he pressed the cutter down on my eye to create the flap. The little dude in the back of my head that starts jabbering when I get scared was going apeshit, and I was thinking "this has just become a one-way street - no way to back out now..." :noes:

I *hated* the feeling of being trapped. But it didn't last long, and the pills and staff definitely helped.
Dang they didn’t give any pills that would probably have taken the edge off. My mind was already going wild by time I arrived, what if the laser misses, what if I blink, what if the power goes out, what if I feel it and jump up, what if I lose my sight etc etc so by the time I hit the chair I was a mess :o

• Support
Reactions: Nikuk and Ranger-AO

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
Buffalo, NY. Again.
Oh for sure. I don't really have acute anxiety attacks but boy once the machine made contact with my fuckin eye ball my brain went into motherfucking overdrive
I started just telling myself "don't fuck up. Don't fuck up. Don't fuck this up." over and over in my head.
I knew the whole thing was only supposed to take 5 - 10 minutes and at that point there was only one way forward and I'd have to deal with whatever the outcome was, so I tried to just get through it.

My wife at the time took video of the overhead monitor, from the patient ready room door, and iirc the whole thing was only like 7 minutes long.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Dang they didn’t give any pills that would probably have taken the edge off. My mind was already going wild by time I arrived, what if the laser misses, what if I blink, what if the power goes out, what if I feel it and jump up, what if I lose my sight etc etc so by the time I hit the chair I was a mess :o

you did lasik without ANYthing?

bruhhhhhh

Reactions: Ranger-AO

Sean6293

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2006
Newburgh, NY
i want lasik but i'm scared :o

also whenever i don't wear contacts and wear glasses instead my eyes water constantly. its like they're not used to be directly exposed to air. (i've been wearing contacts since about the 4th grade)

• Support
Reactions: Twinsen and Wolf
TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
i want lasik but i'm scared :o

also whenever i don't wear contacts and wear glasses instead my eyes water constantly. its like they're not used to be directly exposed to air. (i've been wearing contacts since about the 4th grade)
That's a good thing. A big problem with LASIK is dry eye but you already have that solved.

• Haha
Reactions: Wolf

Sean6293

OT Supporter
Jan 11, 2006
Newburgh, NY
That's a good thing. A big problem with LASIK is dry eye but you already have that solved.
i guess but its super annoying. my thoughts are that i i got lasik and then obviously went without contacts forever that my eyes would adjust but idk maybe they won't and i'll forever have teary sensitive eyes that constantly need attention.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
how did you find somewhere you trusted with your eyeballs? Is there a site for these things

TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
i guess but its super annoying. my thoughts are that i i got lasik and then obviously went without contacts forever that my eyes would adjust but idk maybe they won't and i'll forever have teary sensitive eyes that constantly need attention.
Check around your area and find a good lasik doc. Talk to him about your concerns and see if they are valid. :dunno:

Reactions: Sean6293
TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
how did you find somewhere you trusted with your eyeballs? Is there a site for these things
I went to multiple lasik docs for evaluations. I picked the one that actually turned me down at first. They said my eyes were good to go as far as the physical operation, but that my glasses (at the time) were better for what I needed. I kept going to them for annual eye exams and glasses prescriptions, and this year the benefits of lasik outweighed the glasses and I did the deed.

One center was actually trying to get me to schedule the operation BEFORE they even evaluated my eyes. Their offices looked like they were just occupying empty space temporarily.

Reactions: Menger

Cold Brew

OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2004
Can they fix the need for bifocals? Getting old and can tell I'll need bifocals in a couple years. I've had contacts/glasses my entire life for far out vision. Can both be corrected?

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
I got mine through LasikPlus (back in 2004).
First went and had a consultation with Kaiser, then did a consultation with LasikPlus.
LasikPlus had more modern equipment, and they were about $1k less expensive ($3k vs $4k).

Reactions: Menger

Yoritomo

Beautiful day in this neighborhood
Sep 26, 2001
DFW
Got PRK scheduled for the 21st.

Sand blast my eyeballs. :noes:
Recovery was pretty easy for me. I might as well have bathed in the lubricating eye drops though.

When I went back to work on day 8 it was too soon. I needed those additional 2-4 days just because of the dryness.
Could tell my eye was rough, and had to keep eye drops going constantly.

After about 2 weeks the dryness started to diminish.

Yesterday was the first day where my vision felt better than wearing contacts.
Still improving.

Based on other people's experiences my recovery has been super easy, but there's a long period of time for healing with PRK before your vision is good enough to function.

The best part is I don't have any dryness anymore. This is way easier than wearing contacts.

Should have done it 5 years ago.

Yoritomo

Beautiful day in this neighborhood
Sep 26, 2001
DFW
And the worst part of the PRK procedure itself is there was a rinse right after the laser did its work.

The solution that he rinsed my eye with was Super fucking cold. I got brain freeze through my eyeball.
The scouring of the outer layer of my eye, laser, and every other part was fine. Will never forget brain freeze through my eyeball though.

Last edited:
TS
TS
Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
Can they fix the need for bifocals? Getting old and can tell I'll need bifocals in a couple years. I've had contacts/glasses my entire life for far out vision. Can both be corrected?
That's called monovision, which is what I have. They set your dominant eye for distance vision, and your other eye for near. I got the distance eye done first, and then they gave me contacts for the other eye to let me get used to how it would work - and to allow me the option of getting both eyes done for distance if I didn't like the monovision.

For the first few days it's awkward, until your brain learns to ignore whichever eye isn't giving it the correct focus at whatever depth you are needing at any given time. Once you push past that, it's a great idea.

Just be careful though. Monovision will disqualify you for some jobs. Truck drivers (or any driving job that falls under the Department of Transportation rules). Pilots have to wear glasses to give both eyes 20/20 at near and far distance for 6 months before they can get a waiver.

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
Wife just went back to pre-op for lasik on both eyes. She’s anxious AF but the Xanax should be helping soon. She’s seeing one of the best surgeons in San Diego who has a long list of athletes on the wall.

Her eyes have been essentially useless for so many years without heavy correction from glasses or contacts so this should be a huge quality of life upgrade for her.

So give me the scoop: how painful is this going to be for her post-op?

Reactions: hootpie

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notx88