FIT Lats that don't fuckin work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Banned
Nov 24, 2006
imagination land
I guess I am upper back dominant in all pulling movements and movements meant to Target the lats don't. Underhand bb rows? Nope. Wide grip pullups? Nope. Wide grip lat pulls? Nope. Pull overs? Nope. Help?

HorseDick

Oct 1, 2005
FL
Have you done neutral grip pullups using a full range of motion? Tried using straps for you rows / pulldowns and focused on pulling with your elbows?

smb is me

May 21, 2008
an exercise to try.

Go to cable machine.
Set up an Incline bench set at about 60 degrees.
Position yourself so that you are in the bench sideways (knees in the seat, one side laying against the the bench, other side facing the ceiling--obviously you'll be laying at a diagonal angle to the ground).

Use the D handle so that you are doing a 1 arm lat pulldown (getting a huge stretch at the top) on the side thats facing up. Switch sides and repeat for the other side.

rebs

Fuck them Cowboys
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
I have yet to see more than a handfull of people in my years of lifting that do any sort of pullup, chin, or pulldown with form that effectively "targets" the lats. There was a pretty good article on this i BELIEVE from tnation last year.

cliffs (dont do what ever adam does in his pullup video) (he mad)

Mass

Jan 11, 2004
do all your rowing movements leaning forward, and stay leaning forward as you pull

TS
TS
Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig

Banned
Nov 24, 2006
imagination land
That's the thing--my lats are smaller than they were when I was 30 lbs lighter 7 years ago I took a break and they disappeared when I took a break and never came back.

themolsen

Sep 29, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Straight arm pushdowns target my lats pretty well. Otherwise, make sure you hold and squeeze your movements. Like when you're doing rows, hold and squeeze at the top/close part of the movement. Another thing that helps me activate my arms less is to put my thumb over the bar - not wrap around it. If you can do this safely, it can help a lot.

Neo22

Dec 20, 2003
The land of confusion
start doing wallslides and learn how to retract and depress the shoulders. If your lats don't fire off after that you just have a dicksandwhich complex

Accido

Feb 14, 2002
Concord, New Hampshire
It's hard to know whats going wrong without looking at the movement you're doing. You have to think lats and keep your elbows close. Lats are one of easiest to get a pump on. For me anyway, but I tend to pay more attention to my lats. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan