ART Launched my new site - Would love some crit from you all

Mannaze

Oct 22, 2006
San Diego,CARIFORNIA
Hey guys,

I just launched my new site showcasing my recent UFC work, but also weddings, engagements, portraits and travel stuff.

I know this forum is more critical than complementary and thats just what im looking for. If you have any insight or suggestions on the site or gallery structure please feel free to let me know.

Any and all insight is welcome.

www.jameslawphotography.com

Details about me:
www.about.me/jameslaw

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Awesome pictures and a LOT of content with tons to explore. Great job, seriously!

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
i really don't like the scroller, but i know it sells.

gotta admit, i'm stuck at portraits: female *giggity*

you might want to grab a plugin to make your site iCrap-friendly eventually.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
Horizontal scroll is fine for a photo site. One thing I would think about is how your images relate. When you see for example nightlife all the images have a similar style, but the front page is kinda everywhere. You obviously want to show a variety, but maybe switching up the order so that they flow from one to another would be better.

I'd recommend using the "more" button in wordpress to show an abbreviated post so that the front page isn't 100 miles long.then use a lead or featured image for each so that each new post has a single image and posts are clearly defined.

Crop images to the full width of your text (exact). This looks 10x better. Then if you've got 10 other images make those into a galary so you can just click on thumbs -> open a lightbox.

Find a way to grab subscribers and put out a newsletter. I really like popup domination, which looks spammy to me or OT but normal people will subscribe like crazy.

TS
TS
Mannaze

Mannaze

Oct 22, 2006
San Diego,CARIFORNIA
Horizontal scroll is fine for a photo site. One thing I would think about is how your images relate. When you see for example nightlife all the images have a similar style, but the front page is kinda everywhere. You obviously want to show a variety, but maybe switching up the order so that they flow from one to another would be better.

I'd recommend using the "more" button in wordpress to show an abbreviated post so that the front page isn't 100 miles long.then use a lead or featured image for each so that each new post has a single image and posts are clearly defined.

Crop images to the full width of your text (exact). This looks 10x better. Then if you've got 10 other images make those into a galary so you can just click on thumbs -> open a lightbox.

Find a way to grab subscribers and put out a newsletter. I really like popup domination, which looks spammy to me or OT but normal people will subscribe like crazy.

Im having a hard time determining what I want on the home page - maybe just one image?

I would like to devlop a folling - ill try that pop up element for sure.

darksands

Jan 18, 2008
So. Cal
I too went directly to Girl Portraits. I like.

About me should take me to a page that tells me something about you. All I get is a picture with social media page icons and it takes me away from your page. Tells me nothing about you, not even a friendly face to go with the name.

*edit* Nevermind. The page finally loaded and your head came up. Still, I know nothing about you.

*edit2* Wait, I reloaded the about.me page and it cut off your head again.

Last edited:
TS
TS
Mannaze

Mannaze

Oct 22, 2006
San Diego,CARIFORNIA
I too went directly to Girl Portraits. I like.

About me should take me to a page that tells me something about you. All I get is a picture with social media page icons and it takes me away from your page. Tells me nothing about you, not even a friendly face to go with the name.

*edit* Nevermind. The page finally loaded and your head came up. Still, I know nothing about you.

*edit2* Wait, I reloaded the about.me page and it cut off your head again.

Ffffffuuuuuuuu

What should I write

Without being pretentious

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
first impression... the "photography" in blue does not stand out at all. you can tell something is there at first glance, but you have to look really hard to read it.

will post more soon...

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
also, if I was wanting to hire you for any UFC fight... I'd never have to go past the UFC Actions page. THAT. SHIT. IS. AWESOME!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

IntheWorks

windin film.. takin pics
Jun 30, 2001
earth
Ffffffuuuuuuuu

What should I write

Without being pretentious

write about knowing you were meant to be a photographer since you were in your moms womb and how you emerged from her vagina with a camera in your hands....

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Had another browse, and I'm amazed at the amount of content. Lots of sites are very minimalist with only a few pics and categories, but yours has a ton of stuff. That's good IMO because I feel like I know your style as a photographer already!

TS
TS
Mannaze

Mannaze

Oct 22, 2006
San Diego,CARIFORNIA
Had another browse, and I'm amazed at the amount of content. Lots of sites are very minimalist with only a few pics and categories, but yours has a ton of stuff. That's good IMO because I feel like I know your style as a photographer already!

I keep getting the phrase "edgy" as a description to my style. I don't mind it, but one thing I don't want to do is pigeonhole myself into any one genre. It's tricky to select the right images and quantity.

Ty Webb

You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia
Dec 17, 2004
Bushwood Country Club
Pretty cool. The slider is a big not-obvious for those not aery web-adept. It also is not tablet compatible because it sizes the entire width of the page on the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19