CAR Learn Me Some Compatibility

OffDuty

Feb 2, 2011
(just realized I typed a lot, scroll to bottom for questions.)

Hello everyone. I've spent the past couple weeks going through the previous posts here. Love looking at the pics of freshly washed/waxed cars!

I own a black vehicle because I'm an idiot. I was constantly recited the old sayings as soon as I bought it, "blacks not a color, it's a hobby", "best when clean, worst when dirty" etc, having no idea how to properly wash/wax I went ahead anyway.

After a lot of trial and error and heavy bouts of research I still feel like I've just scratched the surface (pun intended :fawk:). Also, I now officially hate pollen season.

I'm getting a ghosting of the wax left behind. I've tried a variety of waxes (most are your run of the mill store bought type waxes: NXT 2.0, Meguiars paste..etc) and I get it no matter which one I use.

I've tried different application methods and waiting times etc. I don't have any ROs or PCs so it's all by hand. I was told many products have compatibility issues and I'm having a difficult time figuring which pairings work best.
I use the NXT a lot despite it being more of that sealant "cold and sterile" type of appearance. I'm looking for the "warmer", soaking wet look which I think can only be achieved by a caranuba and some hardcore polishing.

***tl;dr***

Is the ghosting I'm getting my error or am I mismatching some items?
Does anyone have any good 1-2 punches of items that can be hand applied and still net the warm/wet results I'm looking for?
Will multiple coats help reduce this issue?

Thanks

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
Full sun pics would be very helpful to know exactly what you are talking about.

You seriously need to invest in a proper polisher. There is no way by hand to polish the paint as deeply and evenly as a machine can do it. Pretty sure that is a lot of your problem.

TS
TS

OffDuty

Feb 2, 2011
Your right on about the polisher! I've known for awhile that the best way to rid myself of all the swirls is with a PC. Honestly, I'm afraid to use one on my own car without first having been instructed on how to do it. I've seen the clear coat burned off cars before and I've also seen hazing left by a polisher.

I checked out the whole like 50 minute video Meguiars posted that is essentially their training video. But I get confused with all the different pads and products and which to use with which.

What I mean by ghosting is tough to explain and your right that a simple picture of it would be best, unfortunately the car is still under wraps for the winter (for another week or so). And even then, waiting for a direct sunlight shot this time of year where I live is like waiting for a lunar eclipse.

Essentially, when I wipe off the hazed wax, their is still almost an imprint or shadow of it left. You can see exactly where the wax sat while it dried. I've tried using various amounts of wax and I still have the issue.

Lemme see what I can do about getting a picture of it.

I've been checking out the moose products you use, and I really like the results, but I feel it will be a waste of the product if I'm not using a polisher.

Are you familiar with any products that have had pretty decent results with hand application?

Scottwax

May 5, 2000
The Meguiars consumer line sold at most auto parts stores are formulated for hand use. Could be you are using way too much product and letting it sit too long. If you are using more than a 1/2 ounce of NXT for instance, you are using too much. Once you can swipe your finger across the wax and it comes up clean, it is ready for removal. You don't have to wait until it dries like concrete.

Using a DA polisher is nothing like a rotary...and even with a rotary it isn't easy to burn paint.

TS
TS

OffDuty

Feb 2, 2011
The porter cable 7424xp seems like a pretty common and widely accepted DA polisher.

I'm trying to find a good way to rate it's ease of use, especially for a beginner. Seems fairly straight forward.

Everything I've been reading up on (including a lot of your posts) have been indicating that real deep, wet look is really accomplished more with the polishing then the wax.

Would you recommend a circular or side to side wax application? I've heard both ways as being better then the other. Usually that means there is no difference, but I figure I'd get your input.

Thanks

Avm87

Ashley
OT Supporter
Nov 16, 2006
Savannah, Ga
sounds like you have holograms, and to remove the swirls in the clearcoat that are noticeable in sunlight you need to polish it not wax it. i had a guy come by and do our black escape two weeks ago and watched him and asked questions to learn how to do it. but the polishes he used are the megs 105 and 205 and i found this kit with everything i needed and that he mentioned to get below.

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cable-7424xp-m1.html

Morgan06

Jan 19, 2006
ELM, MA
The porter cable 7424xp seems like a pretty common and widely accepted DA polisher.

I'm trying to find a good way to rate it's ease of use, especially for a beginner. Seems fairly straight forward.

You're more likely to damage the paint by running the power cord across the car than you are with any polish/pad combo on a PC. I let my girlfriend try it out, held her hand for a few seconds so she wouldn't be scared of it, and just walked my ass in the house to get something to drink. When I came back, the car wasn't on fire and the paint looked better than when I left.

Everything I've been reading up on (including a lot of your posts) have been indicating that real deep, wet look is really accomplished more with the polishing then the wax.

Would you recommend a circular or side to side wax application? I've heard both ways as being better then the other. Usually that means there is no difference, but I figure I'd get your input.

Thanks

No difference side to side or circular for application; just get it on there light and even, do the finger swipe like Scott suggested, and then buff off. If you're getting ghosting from the liquid waxes, maybe they just need to be agitated/shaken more before use? Or trying to layer products with too little time in between coats?

TS
TS

OffDuty

Feb 2, 2011
Avm - I've seen holograms before and it's not that. The simplest way to put it is the dried haze leaves it's shadow after it's been removed. I've tried full strip downs and starting from scratch with multiple waxes. I've figured it means the problem lies with me. I wish I knew specifically what it was.

Morgan-
You've shamed me into it!

I just placed my order of a PC 7424xp, got a 5in backing plate and a 2-5.5 Lake County CCS pads. 1 white and 1 red.

I researched this like crazy and I think I've got it. The white pad is a very light cutting pad I can use with polishes and will remove minor swirls.

The red pad has no cut to it and I can use it to apply liquid waxes.

Does that sound about right? If any of the vets can check my statements and let me know, I'd be appreciative. Or if there are some other pads you would consider essential to a beginner, I appreciate any and all input.

I'm getting the car out in a few days, I always do the full package before I put it away each year so the paint should be clean enough to show you the level of swirls and any of the "ghosting" that I'm talking about.

any suggestions on polishes for a 05 black mustang? Most people seem pretty fond of various Megs polishes.

Scottwax

May 5, 2000
Don't go by pad color because it isn't uniform between all pad makes, go by cut.

Optimum's Hyper Polish and Hyper Compound are very good. Real easy because they are in spray form.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan