ART Lens recommendations for beginner with XTi

Sharpie

May 16, 2004
Seattle
I'm very new to DSLRs and after much research just picked up a Canon Rebel XTi body and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I am now looking to buy a second lens.

I was originally considering the much-recommended Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD, but decided I want to shoot wider than 28mm.

I'm now thinking the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is my best bet, but I haven't heard much talk about it in the forums. It's definitely at the upper end of my price range, so I was looking for anyone's personal experiences with it and whether it would be a good investment.

Recommendations? Other lenses? Thanks

captainwang

Oct 30, 2003
Sharpie said:
I'm very new to DSLRs and after much research just picked up a Canon Rebel XTi body and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I am now looking to buy a second lens.

I was originally considering the much-recommended Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD, but decided I want to shoot wider than 28mm.

I'm now thinking the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is my best bet, but I haven't heard much talk about it in the forums. It's definitely at the upper end of my price range, so I was looking for anyone's personal experiences with it and whether it would be a good investment.

Recommendations? Other lenses? Thanks

i have the 17-85..i really like it as an walk around lens..decent range..and it has IS....

CornUponCob

Oct 3, 2001
Tamron 17-50 is my recomendation. Super sharp, great colors, constant 2.8, very minimal flare, reasonably priced $430.

The canon 17-85 may have an attactive range and IS, but it's a full stop slower on the wide end. At 50mm it's probably 1.66 or 1.33 stops slower than the Tamron. IQ from that lens is regarded as average.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan