GUN LEO's cleared after shooting Jesus 34 times (out of 104 fired)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 11, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lawmen cleared in incident
    Officers fired 104 shots after man pointed gun
    BY JASON KOTOWSKI, Californian staff writer
    Sep 7, 2007
    http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/231143.html
    All 11 officers and sheriff’s personnel who fired more than 100 shots at a man on Aug. 27 acted properly “to protect their lives and the lives of others,” officials announced Friday.

The man shot to death, 24-year-old Jesus German Sarabia, pointed a gun at the lawmen after they tried for nearly four minutes to get him to drop the weapon, said Sheriff Donny Youngblood. He and Bakersfield Police Chief Bill Rector answered questions about the shooting at a news conference at Sheriff’s Department headquarters Friday morning.

Asked if 104 shots were excessive, Youngblood said there’s no magic number for what would be appropriate. The officers shot until the threat was over, he said.

Earlier in the day, the Bakersfield Police Department’s shooting review board announced its officers acted within departmental policy and state and federal guidelines. The Sheriff’s Department’s review board also determined the sergeant and three deputies involved in the shooting acted within the law.

Sarabia, also known as German Cohen, refused to drop his gun as he lay underneath a camper shell in the backyard of 2602 Lake St., officers reported. Thirty-four bullets were removed from his body.

The shooting was over in a matter of seconds, Youngblood said.

When asked why officers didn’t just shoot Sarabia in the foot, Youngblood responded that officers would be jeopardizing their safety if they tried to do that.

“If you shoot someone intentionally in the foot or the arm, as we see on TV, you now have someone who is still armed with a handgun, only they’re angry,” Youngblood said. “The time that you process to do exactly what you’re talking about, you’re a dead officer.”

“We don’t shoot to wound, that’s television,” Youngblood added.

The BPD officers fired a total of 62 times, while sheriff’s personnel fired 42 rounds.

Rector said officers showed incredible restraint in spending several minutes trying to get Sarabia to surrender. Dealing with an armed suspect is always a tense situation, and in this case officers had received reports that shots had been fired in the area, Rector said.

Youngblood said he does not believe Sarabia fired his gun. One of the bullets fired by lawmen actually entered Sarabia’s gun, jamming the bullet that was in the chamber, he said.

The incident began late on the evening of Aug. 26 when officers received reports of shots fired from a vehicle at two places near Barlow Street, according to reports. Sarabia was one of three suspects chased in connection with those reports.

The suspects stopped their vehicle at 2615 Monterey St. and Sarabia pointed what appeared to be a handgun at one of the deputies who had been chasing them, according to law enforcement reports.

The other two suspects, Antonio Villa Ribera, 23, and Gerardo Chavez Valencia, 22, both of Bakersfield, were arrested shortly afterward, reports said. Sarabia was found under the camper shell and the shooting happened a few minutes later.

The BPD officers involved in the shooting were Senior Officers Joseph Dougherty and Charles Sherman, and Officers Brent Stratton, Patrick Mara, Stephen Kauffman, Sean Underhill and Kevin Setser, reports said. The sheriff’s personnel were Sgt. John Fowler and Deputies Michael Blue, Justin Weidenkopf and Charles Moore.

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Hopefully they took their administrative leave time to hit the range for some extra practice.

3. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Asked if 104 shots were excessive, Youngblood said there’s no magic number for what would be appropriate. :rolleyes:

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

roughly 9.5 bullets per person fired, scoring just over 3 hits per person. If it was civilians I could see it, you fire until your magazine is empty especially with the continued sound of gun fire, but police should be trained a little better IMO to realize that those shots are not coming from the guy that they are shooting at.

I cringe just thinking about 70 bullets that missed their mark, there is a good potential for collateral damage there. Time to spend a little taxpayer money on ammo and practice that double tap to central mass rather than spray and pray.

5. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

:eek3:

so did the fired round enter the barrel? hmmmm

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'm glad i don't live there... being killed by a stray bullet, would ruin my day.

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

And we well placed one on you wouldn't?

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'd much rather be killed for a reason, than because they let tards have badges and bullets.

9. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i am so calling bullshit on that one... guy probably just had a 1911 or something.

10. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

oh shit that was here

11. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

While the number of shots definitely needs improvement, I have no problem with the guy getting shot 34 times. Whether it be one shot or 30, dead is dead. It's not like they shot him, checked to see if he was alive, shot him again, shot him some more times just for fun, etc.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

So people do, apparently, fuck with the Jesus.

[​IMG]

...actually.. isn't a 30% hit rate above average for LEO shootouts? :o

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think its about average, I think NYPD got 19 hits out of 38 shots in the Diallo shooting. Bell shooting was like 18/50.

14. Gimik

Gimik New Member

well, he was probably on the ground after the first 10 or so, so it was a stationary target after that :o

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

16. Blip

Blip Active Member

Yeah, cause the tense situation, gun being pointed at them, and adrenaline pumping certainly had nothing to do with the high number of missed shots. It must have been lack of practice shooting at paper targets at the range.:rofl:

17. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

If you're stupid enough to point a gun at a cop even if it's a fake one you deserve to die. But is still sounds like they need practice. He was confined under a camper shell it's not like he was running around.

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

They should have just tossed a grenade in there. :mamoru:

19. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm glad the officers were not held liable. That idiot lived 4 minutes longer than he should have!

20. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

sounds like he was under some cover.

poor camper shell:(

21. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I wonder if his skin was all itchy after this.