FIT Let's talk, sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxicity

OK guys, can someone give me the proper explanation of how sugar is different to other carbs (but not fibre)?

For example, fitday does not further break down carbs to mention sugars. I was under the impression that your body responds to carbs from sugar differently than regular carbs? Is this true? If it is true, are these carbs detrimental, or could i allow for a larger daily % of carbs, if most of these are made up of sugars?

geekierthanyou

Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro
May 11, 2007
Covina, CA
Basically there are two kinds of carbohydrates – "good" and "bad." Good carbs have a minimal impact on your blood sugar levels without causing them to spike or drop too drastically. For when blood sugar levels fluctuate, that’s when you end up feeling hungry, shaky, or even nauseous, and usually find yourself gorging on the nearest sugary, empty calorie snack. Good carbs are also full of vitamins, minerals and fiber, which are all necessary for a balanced, healthy diet. Bad carbs, on the other hand, are full of sugar and white flour, which send blood sugar levels skyrocketing upwards. Although you may feel full briefly, soon your body will up the sugars and simple carbohydrates, resulting in more hunger. Because as your blood sugar levels fall lower than where they were before, it creates hunger pangs. It’s a bad cycle.

It's a question of complex vs. simple carbs.... simple carbs make your blood sugar level spike and make you crave more sugar, complex don't.

EDIT: I'm not ceaze.....

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
^^ Basically.

it can boil down to this if you like:

Sugar = requires little processing = enters your bloodstream faster = generally, a larger insulin response. Insulin promotes entry of nutrients into cells. If the cells can't use that energy, you will store fat.

Insulin is good after a workout - i.e. to get nutrients INTO your muscles. But for instance, insulin right before bed is bad because that will be feeding fat.

Complex carbs (and protein for that matter) = require more processing to convert them to sugars = feel fuller for longer = slower entry into the bloodstream = less insulin = less fat storage.

You can look for the glycemia index of foods to ge a rough idea. Yes, I know the glycemia load is a better measurement but lots of food packets (in the UK at least) have GI information on them and that will give you a rough idea of how much "good" and "bad" carbs is in your food.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Fitday doesn't have a separate figure for sugars. You could keep track of them yourself if you're really bothered, but a better approach would simply be to avoid sugary things most of the time.

mandrew

Aug 25, 2008
S.F.
I've bought a can of like five different types of beans each, and apparently the one with the highest fiber-to-carb ratio is refried beans. They also taste the best IMO. The brand I get (rosarita) has 6g fiber for every 18g carbs, whereas most other beans seem to have less fiber per gram of carbs.

If anybody cares.

macro

Apr 18, 2007
www.afboard.com
sugar is half glucose and half fructose
high fructose corn syrup is 55-90% fructose and 45-10% glucose (as free molecules not bound like sugar-- and this does make a difference).

fructose is the only sugar that can be stored as fat without insulin
fructose is used to induce diabetes in animals

if you want to go sweet or have simple carbs USE DEXTROSE (pure glucose).

fruit in moderation is healthy, even though it generally has a high fructose content (because of fiber and phytonutrient content).

if you want sweet without adding one of the three primary sugars then use SPLENDA.

btw- splenda added to dextrose provides a much more "sugar-like" taste.

if you have carb issues:
do cardio
avoid hydrogenated oils (trans fats)
reduce saturated fats
increase unsaturated fats (fish oil is a good option)
use insulin sensitizers and glucose clearing agents when eating carbs
examples
Glucorell (r-lipoic + biotin)
green tea (EGCG in particular)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor