ART Lighting ideas/suggestions - reflection in window

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
So we're trying to setup a shot where a couple is standing in front of a window (presumably of their high rise apartment) looking out over the city. The room will be almost completely dark, with only the city lights outside and a small amount of light in the room to create the reflection. We want to capture their reflection in the window as well as their actual bodies as well.

We're trying to figure out our lighting...can't get too crazy or the rest of the room will show up in the reflection also. Trying to minimize the photoshop work and just do it right to begin with.

I thought we might be able to hand a large sheet across the room and use a dim light from behind that. This way any reflection in the window from behind the people would just be a solid shape and easier to shop out/fade.

Why don't I just try it out myself and figure it out? Long story, but we are going to shoot this in a hotel room. Won't have access until the night we try to make this happen. Will be figuring this out on the fly.

Any ideas? Anyone do something like this before?

s14brent

Apr 29, 2009
las vegas
assuming this high-rise should have a balcony..... put the light outside the window and feather it. if the lights in the scene, blend exposures?

TS
TS
YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
No balcony...

It's not actually an apartment...we are just staging it to look that way.

The window does go from the floor to the ceiling though.

Zerosity

Like drinking ten lightnings!
OT Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
I'm still new to lighting, but I'd try to boom a light above the couple and have it coming straight down on them. Foam core or a reflector at their feet to capture light back up into them. You'll want to control the spill so that the room isn't picked up in the reflection. Just my thoughts and I have no clue if that would actually work.

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
The light is obviously going to have to illuminate them from the front. Put your light off to the side, just out of frame, next to the window and aim it at the couple. Flag it off with a snoot or make some barn doors with cardboard. You don't want any spill into the camera lens. The couple will probably need to be about 3' or more away from the window. You might want to place a second light to rim the couple from the opposite side but don't put the light near the window. Have it out of frame but just skimming the couple. Again, you will need to flag the light or make some barn doors for it.

TS
TS
YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks for the suggestions...it has me thinking in a new direction now. I was thinking I was going to have to bounce the light off the glass, but running it almost parallel to the glass would probably work better.

I like the idea of putting the light above them, but I probably won't have enough clearance with the ceiling.

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
Thanks for the suggestions...it has me thinking in a new direction now. I was thinking I was going to have to bounce the light off the glass, but running it almost parallel to the glass would probably work better.

I like the idea of putting the light above them, but I probably won't have enough clearance with the ceiling.

You need to keep all the light from hitting the glass and lens for this to work. Otherwise you'll end up with glare galore.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcdiana