ART Links to sites showing good lenses and prices?

hypnotics

Apr 10, 2011
I settled on a D3100 and took home two kit lenses just to test, but I'll probably return them and settle for one good lens. Anyone have recommendations? It will be my only lens for the Nikon, and hopefully will be $300 or less.

Also if anyone wants to run me through the use of different types of lenses, I'd be a happy guy. I think the camera store guy was willing to sell me anything. Not a clue what to look for if I only have one lens.

huntz0r

Apr 18, 2005
Charlotte, NC
KEH.com is the bomb for any kind of used photo gear.

Their selection is pretty huge though so you should either know what you're looking for or just google for reviews of what looks interest. They also separate out DX lenses from full frame lenses. So if you're looking for say, a Tamron 17-50 it'll be under digital but a 70-300 VR will be under autofocus. Protip.

If you only get one lens then you probably either want a Tammy non-VC with built in motor, or a Nikon 18-105 VR. Unless someone else has a better idea.

TS
TS

hypnotics

Apr 10, 2011
KEH.com is the bomb for any kind of used photo gear.

Their selection is pretty huge though so you should either know what you're looking for or just google for reviews of what looks interest. They also separate out DX lenses from full frame lenses. So if you're looking for say, a Tamron 17-50 it'll be under digital but a 70-300 VR will be under autofocus. Protip.

If you only get one lens then you probably either want a Tammy non-VC with built in motor, or a Nikon 18-105 VR. Unless someone else has a better idea.
Seems like the two lenses I have end up being the cheapest... and probably in quality too. What do you think of the Nikon 55-200 ?

tetsuo

And shepherds we shall be...
May 6, 2004
fredmiranda.com has one of the biggest buy sell forums i've found

huntz0r

Apr 18, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Seems like the two lenses I have end up being the cheapest... and probably in quality too. What do you think of the Nikon 55-200 ?
Had one, didn't really like it. Slow lens. Looks gross wide open. If you use it in daylight at f8-11 it's not so bad, but the AF is too slow for birding or sports. Indoor use for concerts and such, forget it. When I still had the D40 I got a lot more mileage out of my pre-AI 200mm f4Q and 135 2.8Q, and that's with no meter or autofocus.

still got those, too, but they won't mount on my current bodies... only on the D40/60/3000/5000 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan