TECH Linux and Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChemical

Jan 25, 2005
Cleveland, Oh
I'm a grad. student in polymer engineering with my research all in organic synthesis. I want to switch to Linux but it seems all the good chemistry software is for windows like ChemDraw and NMR processing. So what's your thoughts on Linux and Science?

CodeX

Linux is for poor college students and people who go out of their way to seperate themselves from others.

The ONLY thing that it has on windows is that its free...

Peyomp

Jan 11, 2002
I'm a grad. student in polymer engineering with my research all in organic synthesis. I want to switch to Linux but it seems all the good chemistry software is for windows like ChemDraw and NMR processing. So what's your thoughts on Linux and Science?

Linux is used in crunching numbers for science (where it is the dominant platform), more than it is used for desktop applications.

CyberBullets

I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c
Nov 13, 2001
BC, Canada/Stockholm, Sweden
Linux is used in crunching numbers for science (where it is the dominant platform), more than it is used for desktop applications.

:werd: I have a buddy at University of Sask who's doing his physics PhD. All their grad students, doctoral students, profs and labs use linux. For what software, I have no idea, but no one runs windows (few run OSX).

CodeX

Gee, I guess you are right... I mean a publicly funded university would have NO interest in cutting costs by using a free OS... I must be mistaken, linux is king.

And I wasn't refering to supercomputers I was talking about personal computers running user applications... AS PER THE OP's ORIGINAL QUESTION.

Peyomp

Jan 11, 2002
Gee, I guess you are right... I mean a publicly funded university would have NO interest in cutting costs by using a free OS... I must be mistaken, linux is king.

And I wasn't refering to supercomputers I was talking about personal computers running user applications... AS PER THE OP's ORIGINAL QUESTION.

No, the funny part is you're a Windows obsessed EMBEDDED applications guy.

:rofl:

CodeX

No, the funny part is you're a Windows obsessed EMBEDDED applications guy.

:rofl:

Windows gives me 6 months to 1 year uptime with constant use and can do everything linux can do and much more... once again, in case you didn't read my last post, I am talking exclusively about personal computers, not super computers, not research/database/server machines.

I am talking about what the OP asked about.

CodeX

Also, embedded devices has nothing to do with this. We are talking about machines with gigs of ram and multiple gigahert processors. A little waste is fine.

Unlike the environment I code for at work, with a 100mhz processor, 16x128kb of flash, and 16x8kb of SRAM. There, I make every bit count, the 4gbs of ram in my personal computer can handle a little bloat.

And even with that, before I switched to vista I had XP running on less than 32mb commited ram when idle, without sacrificing functionality, and like I said, I would have gotten more than a year uptime if it wasn't for power outages and random self-initiated restarts due to moving the location of my computer and whatnot.

In addition, as the OP stated, it is much harder to find good software for linux than it is windows, and if you dispute that you are indeed a self dillusional moron.

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeX

omg a mainstream windows user can also know a thing or two about computers...

Despite the fact that Microsofts programmers are probably among the best in the world, and know more about computer architechure and design than any of us.

trouphaz

Sep 22, 2003
this is great...i just wanted to know what people use for scientific software for linux..and CodeX..what is OP, is that online pussy or original post?

i always knew OP as Original Poster. somewhere along the lines it got changed to Online Pussy and i guess you're now the thread starter or something like that.

EDIT: oh, and as much as i hate to, i do agree with codex. i still don't think linux is a better desktop OS than Windows for most general use software. if you aren't going to be compiling software or do real number crunching, there isn't really much wrong with Windows. if you don't need a GUI though, gimme UNIX in a heartbeat.

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Linux has the biggest pool of software of any OS in the world. I'm sure there must be something useful.

This site compares six packages:

XDrawChem, ChemTool, BKChem, GChemPaint, JChemPaint, and EasyChem. :dunno:

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Holy shit, is there such a thing as a C&P thread that DOESN'T degenerate into you clowns comparing your e-cocks?

Peyomp

Jan 11, 2002
Linux has the biggest pool of software of any OS in the world. I'm sure there must be something useful.

This site compares six packages:

XDrawChem, ChemTool, BKChem, GChemPaint, JChemPaint, and EasyChem. :dunno:

Rare is the thread that also contains an answer. Good show sir, good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor