CAR List of turbocharged Japmobiles?

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I'm going to start making car payments to myself, and the next time my Passat takes a shit I'm going to replace it. However, I'm hooked on having a turbocharger, even if it's a small one, because of how much more flexible turboed engines are. But this time I want to buy Japanese.

So, what are my options? I know Subaru offers turboed Imprezas and Legacies, and Mazda offers the MS3, but is there anything else I can choose from? I'm not really too keen on the idea of turboing a non-turbo engine, because of how invasive the work is; I'd rather buy one built that way from the factory.

TS
TS

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I'm looking for something new. I know there are some good older ones, but I want a car I don't have to fuck with on a weekly basis for a few years.

If I wanted a project car, though, I'd jump on a good 300.

Wilddog

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2006
Canada
Something relatively new:

Evo x
Evo 9
Evo 8
lancer ralliart
2g eclipse
Subaru wrx
Subaru wrx sti
mazdaspeed 3
mazdaspeed protege

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>SEA>CLT
Something relatively new:

Evo x
Evo 9
Evo 8
2009+ lancer ralliart
2g eclipse
Subaru wrx
Subaru wrx sti
mazdaspeed 3
mazdaspeed protege
Acura RDX (even tho its an SUV)
Nissan GT-R (if you can afford one)
Old style GTI 1.8T and Jetta 1.8t (2001-2004)
ALL new style GTIs and Jetta GLIs
New Cobalt SS (old ones are supercharged)
New Saturn SKY redlines
New Pontiac Solstice GXP
Added to the list. I know this is the japanese forum and I added in some eurpoean/Domestic cars but so be it... Minus whale have a really complete list

TS
TS

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
How are the transmissions on the Evo's though? Last I heard, Mitsu transmissions were garbage.

Hahawhat?

Jan 11, 2008
How are the transmissions on the Evo's though? Last I heard, Mitsu transmissions were garbage.

All transmissions go to shit when you make over double the intended horsepower and beat the shit out of them. Somewhat stockish, they last a long time and do fine as long as you don't launch at every light with them. To make them last longer put better fluid in them and check them once and a while.

mute

Nov 24, 2008
just hear me out
if it's something you want to modify/have fun with look at the evolution or sti.

tons of aftermarket support for those two.

the gti as well, only it isn't japanese as you specified.

TS
TS

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
All transmissions go to shit when you make over double the intended horsepower and beat the shit out of them. Somewhat stockish, they last a long time and do fine as long as you don't launch at every light with them. To make them last longer put better fluid in them and check them once and a while.
What about the Tiptronics, like what the Evo X has? Are those built well?

TS
TS

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Hmm...the Lancer Ralliart looks pretty nice...wish I could find a turbo Japmobile rated >30mpg highway, though; maybe that's the tradeoff for the better reliability.

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
Hmm...the Lancer Ralliart looks pretty nice...wish I could find a turbo Japmobile rated >30mpg highway, though; maybe that's the tradeoff for the better reliability.
slap MS on there and just run leaner on cruise :dunno:. There are people with S30s (that are basically bricks aerodynamically compared to modern cars) getting low 30s mpg...on 400whp straight sixes.

TS
TS

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
slap MS on there and just run leaner on cruise :dunno:. There are people with S30s (that are basically bricks aerodynamically compared to modern cars) getting low 30s mpg...on 400whp straight sixes.
MS?

I think the loss in MPG is more attributable to the AWD system the Lancer Ralliart has, but if they're running the engine rich, that would do it too.

TS
TS

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
:tup:

its not a tip, its a dual clutch manual with electronic control, like dsg on a gti

the technology is pretty new, no one knows how long its going to last for in the long term
Well, DSGs have been in use in Formula one for a couple of decades now, so at least there's a good baseline for how a durable DSG should be designed. Not that that means Mitsubishi actually built theirs that way, of course.

Does it have an option to shift itself automatically? Lame as it may be, I just don't want to have to shift for myself all the time.

jim1234664

Nov 3, 2005
Well, DSGs have been in use in Formula one for a couple of decades now, so at least there's a good baseline for how a durable DSG should be designed. Not that that means Mitsubishi actually built theirs that way, of course.

Does it have an option to shift itself automatically? Lame as it may be, I just don't want to have to shift for myself all the time.

yes it shifts itself automatically or you can use the paddles, I would assume a formula 1 box gets swapped out or rebuilt every race or so though so that most likely wouldn't be a good indication of reliability, not to mention the cost of an f1 box is >any of the cars on your list. Obviously then quality would be down somwhat

TS
TS

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Well...but at least they've learned how to build them to work well by now, even if they do take them apart to check for wear after every race. I dunno.

As much as I want a turbocharged car, I'm still in love with the Altima's CVT transmission. Mitsu has them too, but not with turbos. I guess that's not too surprising, given the torque limitations on CVTs.

vudoodoodoo

May 3, 2006
Boston, MA

The Ralliart is overpriced. For the same amount of money you can get the MS3. For a little more you can get an EVO.

mute

Nov 24, 2008
just hear me out
the new MR/Ralliart tranny will give you problems once you start overly modifying them. i believe they are capable of holding between 350-400hp, but that doesnt mean there won't be upgrade packages for it in the future.

and the dealer isn't able to work on that tranny yet so if it blows you'll be waiting for mitsubishi of japan to send over a new one.

besides, there is only a few thousand dollar difference between the ralliart and the gsr so you might as well spring for the gsr. you get more for your money imo.

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
I was responding to 'TT' rather than the SR in a Z :o

MS?

I think the loss in MPG is more attributable to the AWD system the Lancer Ralliart has, but if they're running the engine rich, that would do it too.

MS = MegaSquirt EMS. The issue is that car makers tune their shit to ALWAYS run as close to stoich as possible, which means that it might not make as much power as it could be under WOT, and probably is running richer than is really needed for cruising. MS allows you to adjust the mix and ignition timing for optimum performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448