ENT Lol v star trek crew

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
No weakness mutineer mary sue
michael-burnham-gif-cf-gif.1009461
I found Captain Lorca was more interesting

but I guess nutrek is more like old trek I suppose. But meant in media in general regarding dark themes

Reactions: cyclaptor

Tesla Death Ray

Open your mouth, I'm gonna put something nice into
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2006
Your Best Nightmare
The problem with Kirk and Picard both is they were written in an earlier time when they didn't give characters much weakness in general and they were a bit too Mary Sue.

Later characters are more believable, but we're coming full circle on that and now they're all degenerates to an extent.

Yeah that is mostly true. The only weakness they tend to exhibit is to care "too much" about their crew and friends. They also feel guilty about collateral damage or misunderstandings, like when the pregnant space whale attacks the ship and Picard accidentally kills it to defend themselves.

I think the difference is the characters have a certain measure of humility as well as adherence to order (less so for Kirk but he does try sometimes).
When Michael always skates through every problem there is a weird smugness about it that is off putting, and her blatent disrespect for authority is cringey.
I don't know if the "Mary Sue" bit is the problem, it's just that she really isn't likeable or have qualities that cultivate respect.

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
Yeah that is mostly true. The only weakness they tend to exhibit is to care "too much" about their crew and friends. They also feel guilty about collateral damage or misunderstandings, like when the pregnant space whale attacks the ship and Picard accidentally kills it to defend themselves.

I think the difference is the characters have a certain measure of humility as well as adherence to order (less so for Kirk but he does try sometimes).
When Michael always skates through every problem there is a weird smugness about it that is off putting, and her blatent disrespect for authority is cringey.
I don't know if the "Mary Sue" bit is the problem, it's just that she really isn't likeable or have qualities that cultivate respect.
It's also the fault of the writers to make all the people around her who are her superior complete morons

I suppose if they are modeling it after real world work? I don't know. Just seems weird everyone is so out of touch except her

Reactions: Tesla Death Ray

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN

hypntyz

OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
east TN
God, the subtle details in this. I remember clearly seeing duplicated visuals on some of my original VHS recordings back in the day. :bowdown:
I remember fucking with/rigging up the antenna to try and get rid of the static and ghosts, while being able to hear the convo but not see the picture well. We rarely had cable and reception in hilly east TN sucks when you are not on top of the hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost