Looking for a decent home audio/movies setup ~2-3k budget

Ebtek

Mar 19, 2000
Is this doable?

I have enough points on my CC to get this sound bar. But reviews aren't great and it has no hdmi do I need that?

Or am I better off with some sick as shit looking towers?

Reactions: Cicada

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
You don't deserve a serious reply, but:

Buy a separate system for each imho

Fifafever

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
San Diego
I mean what are they? I work in sound so “increased sound quality” means little to me :o
K for your information, asshole, I have seen a lion. And not one of your crap ass queen of the jungle homoerotic pussy-cat lions. A real lion, with fangs and horns and wings and shit. Don't pull your fucking weird ass african voodoo hypnosis crap on me when you don't even know wtf you're talking about.

emanuel

baby girl, how do I look in my durag?
Oct 28, 2005
SoCal
It’s like asking a mechanic to give your car “better performance”

it means nothing and everything at the same time

sorry idk why I’m harping on this

StuDLei

Death before Dishonor
Jul 21, 2001
Omaha, NE
$3k here.

I think you really only need a 5.1 system:

Front L/R, Center, 2 Surrounds -- $1,500 with shipping. I have these speakers and they're awesome. Very well built. Read up on reviews and you'll see. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv#bottom

Subwoofer -- $800. SVS subs are awesome. I have two, the $800 and $500 ones. Both are awesome. https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-pro-series

That leaves $700 for a receiver if you need one. I would recommend Denon or Marantz, only because last I checked they had the best room correction software. This may have changed. The Denon receivers I have do a pretty good job of this.

That system will whoop the shit out of any sound bar.

In my opinion, you start having to spend a lot more for diminishing returns pretty close to this point. I have the setup above and I think it sounds better than a movie theatre, easily. I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan in theaters a couple years ago and was really disappointed that it sounded better at home. IDK what your room looks like or how big it is. If I had a big room (I don't), I would easily get towers, though the speakers from Ascend Acoustics that I recommended above are substantially larger than your average bookshelf speaker and will easily fill a very large room.

TS
TS
Ebtek

Ebtek

Mar 19, 2000
$3k here.

Front L/R, Center, 2 Surrounds -- $1,500 with shipping. I have these speakers and they're awesome. Very well built. Read up on reviews and you'll see. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv#bottom

Subwoofer -- $800. SVS subs are awesome. I have two, the $800 and $500 ones. Both are awesome. https://www.svsound.com/collections/2000-pro-series

That leaves $700 for a receiver if you need one. I would recommend Denon or Marantz, only because last I checked they had the best room correction software. This may have changed. The Denon receivers I have do a pretty good job of this.

In my opinion, you start having to spend a lot more for diminishing returns pretty close to this point. I have the setup above and I think it sounds better than a movie theatre, easily. I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan in theaters a couple years ago and was really disappointed that it sounded better at home. IDK what your room looks like or how big it is. If I had a big room (I don't), I would easily get towers, though the speakers from Ascend Acoustics that I recommended above are substantially larger than your average bookshelf speaker and will easily fill a very large room.
Great info :bowdown: I'll review all this shit

z284pwr

Jun 16, 2002
Fruit Heights, Utah
Or
$3k here.

Be handy with wood and build your own subwoofer box. Mini Marty box with a Dayton Audio 18” sub and a Behringer amp and really enjoy :tnod:

StuDLei

Death before Dishonor
Jul 21, 2001
Omaha, NE
Or

Be handy with wood and build your own subwoofer box. Mini Marty box with a Dayton Audio 18” sub and a Behringer amp and really enjoy :tnod:

You're probably right. I have heard of guys doing this, but haven't looked into it very hard myself. I got my subs for great sales prices, and honestly, they are bonkers. Fuck having to put anything together. Mine was ready out of the box and came with a good warranty, etc. Still, you might be right, maybe some of the subs are super easy to build. I just know that the bang for the buck in my case ended up being way more than I expected.

I'm not sure of the validity, but supposedly companies like Ascend Acoustics are able to sell better speakers for substantially lower costs because they are direct sellers. There's no Best Buy middleman, and basically $0 spent on advertising from what I've seen. Pretty sure they are all hand-built, hand-assembled, whatever. For $1,500 you can get all five our your mains. No speaker mismatches to worry about, they'll last forever, and they sound spectacular.

z284pwr

Jun 16, 2002
Fruit Heights, Utah
You're probably right. I have heard of guys doing this, but haven't looked into it very hard myself. I got my subs for great sales prices, and honestly, they are bonkers. Fuck having to put anything together. Mine was ready out of the box and came with a good warranty, etc. Still, you might be right, maybe some of the subs are super easy to build. I just know that the bang for the buck in my case ended up being way more than I expected.

I'm not sure of the validity, but supposedly companies like Ascend Acoustics are able to sell better speakers for substantially lower costs because they are direct sellers. There's no Best Buy middleman, and basically $0 spent on advertising from what I've seen. Pretty sure they are all hand-built, hand-assembled, whatever. For $1,500 you can get all five our your mains. No speaker mismatches to worry about, they'll last forever, and they sound spectacular.
A subwoofer is all fun and games until you build one that hit low enough frequency you feel it. I used to have couch bass shakers installed. Once I got the sub built they were of zero use. That sub made it so awesome. When the wife watched Jurassic Park for the first time with it and the T-Rex tremors started. She about shit herself like actually being there. Great success :nod:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec