FIT looking for a good christmas idea for my dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
quick background: my dad was about 70 lbs overweight, and last christmas my mom bought him a road bike, he got really into it, did a century ride, and then trained for a marathon and ran that last week, and has lost about 60 lbs.

he's exercising like crazy and i thought you guys may know of a neat gadget or something that he may like.

he is going to start swimming next, so basically anything biking, running, swimming.

budget is about $100 and he already has a GPS garmin watch.

Hello Panda

Oct 28, 2007
maybe somone could help me too. my dad is also overweight, has a gym membership yet hasn't gone once. he has "tried" to diet for as long as I can remember (eats healthy for half the day then gouges down on rice krispy treats for a night snack) is very unhealthy etc. can I honestly even give him anything fitness related?

Would he ride a road bike?

SirBoss7

Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy t
Jul 24, 2008
College Station, TX
Maybe a camelpak?

When I go running, I take my really nice one with me everywhere.

I can put weights in it (it distributes well and there's so little friction, compared to when I used to run with canteens on), carry all the water I'll ever need, carry phone, wallet, ID, etc. I also put reflective tape on the back, but you can buy a small LED flashing light for like $3-5 to put on it.

btw, I run A LOT. except not this last week.. ran 17 miles a week and a half ago when it was <40 degrees out, now I have a nasty cold and my miles are down to 6 minutes lol.

Blade

Time to swolercize
Oct 21, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN Rep: ★
quick background: my dad was about 70 lbs overweight, and last christmas my mom bought him a road bike, he got really into it, did a century ride, and then trained for a marathon and ran that last week, and has lost about 60 lbs.

he's exercising like crazy and i thought you guys may know of a neat gadget or something that he may like.

he is going to start swimming next, so basically anything biking, running, swimming.

budget is about $100 and he already has a GPS garmin watch.

does he have pedals and cleats for his bike? those will make riding sooo much better if he doesnt. www.bikenashbar.com is a great site to buy bike stuff.
new helmet, winter riding gear, new saddle, etc

SirBoss7

Jul 24, 2008
College Station, TX
maybe somone could help me too. my dad is also overweight, has a gym membership yet hasn't gone once. he has "tried" to diet for as long as I can remember (eats healthy for half the day then gouges down on rice krispy treats for a night snack) is very unhealthy etc. can I honestly even give him anything fitness related?

Do you have time to go workout with him? That can be a big help.

Give him an easy daily routine to do. If he gets hooked, he may start ramping it up himself and seeking ways to add to it or "reinvent" it.

calisthetics, anything with your own bodyweight= +++

SirBoss7

Jul 24, 2008
College Station, TX
he's decently overweight some i'm not sure if weightraining would be the best place to start. He's 63 and has a "bad knee" (probably from being heavy all his life) so any kind of exercise besides walking is kinda out of the question

Well, elliptical is good and low impact. I dont like bike machines, unless you turn the resistance up.

I have bad knees too. I narrowly avoided knee surgery this past january after a marathon. Strengthening squads via lunges, wall sits, leg extensions, elliptical, any sort of cross-training is good. Think of the quads as muscles clamping down on the knee.

Swimming is very good. Toss that in every other day. As for weights, he can sit down on a chair and do some curls, etc. Can he do pushups on his knees?

My grandpa is 85, incredibly driven. Big gut, but he walks a mile on a track a day, plays tennis regularly, and apparently--due to his recent surgery--has an aortic artery 28mm in diameter because he is so active. The average person's is 24mm lol.

TS
TS
xenon supra

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
thanks for the tips so far, he has said he doesn't want a camelpack before bc they are a bitch to clean, and he has shoes and clips for his bike.

but those are good thoughts, more ideas would be helpful, i'm struggling with him.

Mr. Pelham

fleshlight (male anus)

did you not read the fucking sticky?

to the TS:

My girl runs marathons, she loves the water bottle belt, sports beans and energy packets for her runs.

Maybe get your Father a box of those or the belt, or both.

TS
TS
xenon supra

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
did you not read the fucking sticky?

to the TS:

My girl runs marathons, she loves the water bottle belt, sports beans and energy packets for her runs.

Maybe get your Father a box of those or the belt, or both.

he's got one of those little belts and he buys his own energy packets

what about a bike computer?

he's got that too, haha, he spoils himself

indoor trainer for the bike?

i wouldn't be able to afford a decent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor