GUN Looking to purchase my first AR-15/M4... Suggestions?

Lacuta

:OG:
Oct 30, 2001
Ann Arbor, MI
Hay WoMD :wavey:

I'm looking to make my first tactical rifle purchase, I'd like to get an AR-15/M4 (or similar), and want the caliber size to be 5.56mm. I've been reading through the WoMD threads and it seems that there are a lot of OTers who own them. I own firearms and have been shooting/hunting all my life so this won't be my first rodeo :wiggle:

Anyhow, as this will be a contribution to the "family arsenal", I'd like to get a quality brand so that will last so I can pass down to other generations.

I want to stick with minimum 5.56mm (.223/5.56mm), iron sights are fine (can purchase optics in the future). Colt, S&W, Daniels, Bushmaster, etc... I'm not sure who to go with.

I've been doing some pricing, it seems as though the gun shops in my area mark up their prices around $300-400 compared to what i see online. Below is a website I'm considering ordering from...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Default.aspx

How does ordering online work? Do they run security checks or just ship it to you? Suggestions for other online stores?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Rip The Jacker

Jul 24, 2002
Avoid cheaper than dirt. Somebody else will chime in with other places to buy a rifle. When you order online you have to have it shipped to a local FFL holder who will transfer it to you, usually you can find someone who will do it for $20.

Have you considered building it yourself? It's as simple as buying a stripped lower, lower parts kit, and a complete upper. You put the lower together and attach the upper. But you can build your upper if you want too. It's kind of fun and it helps you figure out how your gun works. If you're at all mechanically inclined its pretty easy.

BCM makes good shit, my next upper will be from them
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

Keesh

Oct 26, 2003
Just a friendly word of advice. Cheaper Than Dirt kind of sucks.

What kind of shooting do you want to do. As I'm sure you're aware, there are a lot of various AR configurations you can do.

Any one of the manufactures you listed will suit you fine. Colt often costs more for the name, and I've heard Bushmaster's quality has dropped a bit in the last few years. Other brands you may consider are LMT, Bravo Company, and I'm assuming you meant Daniel Defense, which are all quality rifles.

You can order a rifle and have it shipped to a local firearms dealer and they will do the background check and transfer for you. Here's a link where you can put in your zipcode and find local dealers willing to do transfers:
http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

$1000 will buy you a great rifle, though you may not find a Colt for that price.

Bravo Company or Daniel Defense probably has the largest number of rifle configurations, so I would suggest browsing their websites and thinking about what you want to use the rifle for; hunting, 500 yard shooting, range toy, general purpose rifle. Knowing what you want might help us better direct you to a style of rifle.

MidwestHigh

Nov 1, 2010
I just bought an AR in your budget.

Daniel Denfense custom upper from Smartgunner.com. $655
-chrome-lined cold hammer forged barrel, government profile
- omega 9 free float mid-length handguard
- daniel defense bolt carrier group $157

Aero Precision complete lower from jsgunparts.com $180
-6 position m4 collapsible stock

BCM gunfighter charging handle from bravocompanyusa.com $55

Haven't ordered sights yet but thats goign to be another 150 it looks like.

Ok so I went a little over my original budget of 1,000 but I believe i've put together a damn fine AR15 that is going to last for a very long time.

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
I just bought an AR in your budget.

Daniel Denfense custom upper from Smartgunner.com. $655
-chrome-lined cold hammer forged barrel, government profile
- omega 9 free float mid-length handguard
- daniel defense bolt carrier group $157

Aero Precision complete lower from jsgunparts.com $180
-6 position m4 collapsible stock

BCM gunfighter charging handle from bravocompanyusa.com $55

Haven't ordered sights yet but thats goign to be another 150 it looks like.

Ok so I went a little over my original budget of 1,000 but I believe i've put together a damn fine AR15 that is going to last for a very long time.

No Magpul for home? :dunno:

kellyclan

She only loves you when she's drunk.
May 16, 2001
You could do a basic BCM midlength for $1000

The ordering instructions on in the PDF from their site. Basically, your local gun dealer faxes them a copy of his license and then they send him the lower and he transfers it to you. A fair price is about $25 for a transfer fee.

Liptonucf

wee woo wee woo wee woo
Mar 14, 2008
sorry to go a little off-topic here, but what is wrong with cheaperthandirt.com? I order ammo and other little accessories all the time and havnt had an issue. Are the problems just when ordering firearms?

pimpofthenation

OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
A2
:wavey: I'm about 15 minutes from you. (milan)

As stated, there are certainly options for you to put together a nice one for that budget. I have been impressed with BravoCo's stuff.

www.bravocompanyusa.com

Also, I can put you in touch with a FFL in Livonia who will charge you about $20 for the transfer.

You could also sign up at michigangunowners.org and browse the classifieds. There's always 10-15 ARs for sale there...

TS
TS
Lacuta

Lacuta

Oct 30, 2001
Ann Arbor, MI
:wavey:

OK, so this morning i decided fuck it, do it live, and bought myself a Smith & Wesson M&P-15. :wiggle:

016_2.jpg

017_3.jpg

022_4.jpg

has Magpul collapsible stock, flip sight, upper and lower grips

Sailor Jerry

Nov 13, 2007
Dirtona Beach
:wavey:

OK, so this morning i decided fuck it, do it live, and bought myself a Smith & Wesson M&P-15. :wiggle:

http://uploader.ws/upload/201103/016_2.jpg[img]

[img]http://uploader.ws/upload/201103/017_3.jpg[img]

[img]http://uploader.ws/upload/201103/022_4.jpg[img]

has Magpul collapsible stock, flip sight, upper and lower grips[/QUOTE]

:cool:

BlueApocalypse

Nov 4, 2006
You could do a basic BCM midlength for $1000

The ordering instructions on in the PDF from their site. Basically, your local gun dealer faxes them a copy of his license and then they send him the lower and he transfers it to you. A fair price is about $25 for a transfer fee.

This, a Daniel Defense or even a S&W M&P15 should do the trick if they've put out a middy.

Yes, I just realized I didn't even read the thread.

TS
TS
Lacuta

Lacuta

Oct 30, 2001
Ann Arbor, MI
also, thanks for all the feedback/suggestions from everyone :wavey:

I did research for a week or so (including making this thread), kinda knew i wanted to go with S&W, DD or Colt. Ended up spending a little more than I initially wanted to, but figured I will only make this purchase once so why not do it right.

TS
TS
Lacuta

Lacuta

Oct 30, 2001
Ann Arbor, MI
I bought my M&P there and took my CPL course there. :cool:

That having been said, the last few times I've been there, the customer service was so bad that I won't go back.

funny you mention that, the dude i bought the gun from was pretty good. He had to step away for a little while to take care of something while i was looking (store was busy that day), some other guy stepped in to help me out. Guy was an asshole, made some smart ass remark about if i knew what I was doing. I'm like yeah bro :hsugh: . He figured i was some young punk just wanting to feel up some AR's.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan