Lost my best friend and a great person, y'all knew him. RIP Monk

Vatoloco

America: The most RACIST nation in world history!
Jul 16, 2001
@Vatoloco_OT
Right. So... if I can share an experience that may help understand what may have happened to your brother.

Usually, a Type 1 diabetic will dose themselves with two different kinds of insulin, before bed, based on their current blood sugar levels. Every diabetic has their own "equation" to figure out how many units of insulin they need.

There's "fast-acting" insulin you take at every meal to balance out food. And there's "slow-acting" insulin that you take once a day, to keep a base of insulin in your body at all times.

For me, I take my slow-acting insulin right before bed. It's 20 units. Then I take my fast-acting insulin to bring down any highs I might have from an evening snack or whatever.

So, one night, I checked my blood sugar before bed. And I needed four units of fast-acting insulin and my typical 20 units of slow-acting insulin. So, in my exhaustion, I grab my insulin pen, and give myself 20 units of FAST-acting!!!!

I realized it immediately. And sat there and ended up having to drink two glasses of orange juice so that the extra insulin would be balanced by all the sugars.

Sometimes, if my sugars go low in my sleep (from over-dosing, or from not enough food that day), I'll wake up covered in sweat (as my body begins to go into shock) and REALLY disoriented (can't make words). So, I have to reach into my nightstand and eat some emergency chocolate.

Maybe he mistakenly overdosed and didn't realize it. And then he fell into such a deep sleep that he didn't wake up in that sweaty, disoriented state... and his system crashed. When blood sugar levels go dangerously low, you have a seizure.

Every day and every meal.

Fuck that noise. Before I was bald I often kept my head shaved just because I was too lazy to comb it in the mornings.

Sucks. Sorry. :hsd:

SIGirl

Super Duper Moderator
Super Moderator
Nov 1, 2001
Austin, TX
Never conversed with but based on replies wish I did :(

Seriously, I just started talking to him when I was convinced to get snapchat a few weeks ago. One of the best decisions I ever made. I can't believe I didn't talk to him before. We talked so much in those weeks. He was that awesome. We even talked the night he died. It sucks. :wtc:

TS
TS
GonadWarrior

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001
However, if he was on an insulin pump he was only getting fast acting insulin. The pump gives hourly basal rates. For meals, they enter how many carbs they ate or are going to eat and the pump calculates the bolus. My son used to do his bolus before eating, but then sometimes wouldn't finish his food, which caused low blood sugars. He now does it after eating.

There's also my biggest fear for my son, Dead-In-Bed Syndrome.

Dead in Bed Syndrome

Dead in bed syndrome (DIB) is a term used to describe the sudden unexplained deaths of young people with type 1 diabetes. The syndrome is characterised as when someone with insulin dependent diabetes has gone to bed seemingly perfectly fine and has been found dead in an undisturbed bed.

How common is dead in bed syndrome?
The syndrome is relatively rare but is thought to account for about 6% of cases of all deaths in under 40 year old people with type 1 diabetes.
By comparison, diabetic ketoacidosis is a significantly more common cause of death, accounting for around 2% to 3% of all deaths in diabetic patients.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/dead-in-bed-syndrome.html

I hate this disease and I hate that he's gone. :wtc:
Thanks for posting this, SIgirl.

Sorry for your loss. :( This is a bad time for OTers. Fuck.
:hug:
When I saw your thread few days ago I told myself "I hope I never have to make this thread" sure enough, 24hrs later, I was
Seriously, I just started talking to him when I was convinced to get snapchat a few weeks ago. One of the best decisions I ever made. I can't believe I didn't talk to him before. We talked so much in those weeks. He was that awesome. We even talked the night he died. It sucks. :wtc:

I miss him in our groupchat so so much. I'm out in Europe alone and he always did his part to ask me questions about my day or to just fill up my chat with bullshit so I wasn't getting bored

SIGirl

Super Duper Moderator
Super Moderator
Nov 1, 2001
Austin, TX
Thanks for posting this, SIgirl.

I miss him in our groupchat so so much. I'm out in Europe alone and he always did his part to ask me questions about my day or to just fill up my chat with bullshit so I wasn't getting bored

I downloaded Rocket Man today, because of his voicemail to you. I'm always around, if you need someone to fill the time, we could talk about him. :hs:

TS
TS
GonadWarrior

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001
I downloaded Rocket Man today, because of his voicemail to you. I'm always around, if you need someone to fill the time, we could talk about him. :hs:

That'd be great, thank you

I like his version a little bit better haha

buttslut

Queen Trumpkin
Sep 13, 2003
V O L
Right. So... if I can share an experience that may help understand what may have happened to your brother.

Usually, a Type 1 diabetic will dose themselves with two different kinds of insulin, before bed, based on their current blood sugar levels. Every diabetic has their own "equation" to figure out how many units of insulin they need.

There's "fast-acting" insulin you take at every meal to balance out food. And there's "slow-acting" insulin that you take once a day, to keep a base of insulin in your body at all times.

For me, I take my slow-acting insulin right before bed. It's 20 units. Then I take my fast-acting insulin to bring down any highs I might have from an evening snack or whatever.

So, one night, I checked my blood sugar before bed. And I needed four units of fast-acting insulin and my typical 20 units of slow-acting insulin. So, in my exhaustion, I grab my insulin pen, and give myself 20 units of FAST-acting!!!!

I realized it immediately. And sat there and ended up having to drink two glasses of orange juice so that the extra insulin would be balanced by all the sugars.

Sometimes, if my sugars go low in my sleep (from over-dosing, or from not enough food that day), I'll wake up covered in sweat (as my body begins to go into shock) and REALLY disoriented (can't make words). So, I have to reach into my nightstand and eat some emergency chocolate.

Maybe he mistakenly overdosed and didn't realize it. And then he fell into such a deep sleep that he didn't wake up in that sweaty, disoriented state... and his system crashed. When blood sugar levels go dangerously low, you have a seizure.

The medical community is looking at implanting artificial pancreases in type 1 diabetics. We are talking with the insurance broker now about getting my bf an artificial pancreas. Once the pancreas in implanted, the device will automatically control your blood sugar.

I told my bf about this thread and it terrified him.

SIGirl

Super Duper Moderator
Super Moderator
Nov 1, 2001
Austin, TX
The medical community is looking at implanting artificial pancreases in type 1 diabetics. We are talking with the insurance broker now about getting my bf an artificial pancreas. Once the pancreas in implanted, the device will automatically control your blood sugar.

I told my bf about this thread and it terrified him.

They are working on insulin pumps that do this. My son just got the new minimed one. It checks his blood sugar every 5 minutes and an alarm goes off if he's too high or too low and it shows a graph of his blood sugars on the pump. He just has to check his own blood sugar once in the morning and once at night to calibrate it.

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
Every day and every meal.

Fuck that noise. Before I was bald I often kept my head shaved just because I was too lazy to comb it in the mornings.

Sucks. Sorry. :hsd:

meh... it becomes part of the daily routine. It's not too difficult.

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
However, if he was on an insulin pump he was only getting fast acting insulin. The pump gives hourly basal rates. For meals, they enter how many carbs they ate or are going to eat and the pump calculates the bolus. My son used to do his bolus before eating, but then sometimes wouldn't finish his food, which caused low blood sugars. He now does it after eating.

There's also my biggest fear for my son, Dead-In-Bed Syndrome.

Dead in Bed Syndrome

Dead in bed syndrome (DIB) is a term used to describe the sudden unexplained deaths of young people with type 1 diabetes. The syndrome is characterised as when someone with insulin dependent diabetes has gone to bed seemingly perfectly fine and has been found dead in an undisturbed bed.

How common is dead in bed syndrome?
The syndrome is relatively rare but is thought to account for about 6% of cases of all deaths in under 40 year old people with type 1 diabetes.
By comparison, diabetic ketoacidosis is a significantly more common cause of death, accounting for around 2% to 3% of all deaths in diabetic patients.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/dead-in-bed-syndrome.html

I hate this disease and I hate that he's gone. :wtc:

I do like that the pump eliminates the need for the basal insulin. What I don't like about the pump is that you're tethered to it 24-hours a day.

I looked into the pump, and it's just not for me.

Never heard of the "dead in bed" syndrome. that's totally fucked.

TankRizzo

The People's Moderator
Super Moderator
Jun 1, 2001

Chocolate is not a fast acting carb, get some glucose tabs or a tube of cake decorating gel. You need that sugar ASAP in case you're still dropping.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec