Lost my best friend and a great person, y'all knew him. RIP Monk

TankRizzo

The People's Moderator
Super Moderator
Jun 1, 2001
I do like that the pump eliminates the need for the basal insulin. What I don't like about the pump is that you're tethered to it 24-hours a day.

I looked into the pump, and it's just not for me.

Never heard of the "dead in bed" syndrome. that's totally fucked.

They're coming up with new shit all the time. There's the omnipod that is wireless, you attach it and the meter communicates to the pod (it's disposable) and administers the insulin.

insulet%20omnipod_0.jpg

The one thing that's scary about the pump is not having the long acting insulin makes you more susceptible to DKA when you get sick.

SIGirl

Super Duper Moderator
Super Moderator
Nov 1, 2001
Austin, TX
The one thing that's scary about the pump is not having the long acting insulin makes you more susceptible to DKA when you get sick.

And if your pump breaks on a Saturday an you don't have any long lasting insulin...that is the worst.

TankRizzo

The People's Moderator
Super Moderator
Jun 1, 2001
I was going to make this post, word for word :rofl:

:o Yeah, didn't realize that's what happened to Monk :hs:

And if your pump breaks on a Saturday an you don't have any long lasting insulin...that is the worst.

Yeah, there's a lot of give and take. We're still fighting with insurance. They didn't want to approve the TSlim because they didn't have it FDA approved for his age group and that's the one he has his heart set on. Getting new insurance in Jan, so we'll try again then.

SIGirl

Super Duper Moderator
Super Moderator
Nov 1, 2001
Austin, TX
I do like that the pump eliminates the need for the basal insulin. What I don't like about the pump is that you're tethered to it 24-hours a day.

Pretty much the only good thing abut having a kid diagnosed as a toddler is they get used to everything that goes along with it and don't know any different :sad2:

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
They're coming up with new shit all the time. There's the omnipod that is wireless, you attach it and the meter communicates to the pod (it's disposable) and administers the insulin.

insulet%20omnipod_0.jpg

That is a cool option. A friend has that device.

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
Chocolate is not a fast acting carb, get some glucose tabs or a tube of cake decorating gel. You need that sugar ASAP in case you're still dropping.

Yeah... it seems to work for me, though.

I also have "Goo" packets, which is essentially cake frosting that long-distance runners use to keep their sugars up.

TS
TS
GonadWarrior

GonadWarrior

May 11, 2001
hey, do you are anyone in his town know how the kids at the school are doing? I remember him talking about a few of them. :hs:
he and his father did IT for a couple schools in the city, my mom runs one of them and she hasn't shared anything yet. A few of her faculty members also went to his funeral yesterday and I'm sure they'll tell the kids in due time

mucky

Dec 15, 2001
Was at a concert last night and can't help being reminded of conversations with him and his drum skills. Dude made an impression on me.

Snapchat-4345402128984607377.jpg

Bolix

Wrapped in plastic
Jan 22, 2006
Fuck somehow missed this thread until now.

:wtc: too much loss around here lately

Hops

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2003
Sierra Foothills, CA

I looked into the pump, and it's just not for me.

Never heard of the "dead in bed" syndrome. that's totally fucked.

Same, pump wasn't for me. But if I can get one that monitors too, I might change my mind at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Ā© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec