LOVE Low Testosterone

radfad88

The Batman-O-Lantern
Mar 13, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hey so I was just thinking about this today. I've seen people mention the term "low testosterone" in here a few times before and I was wondering what the skinny on that was. Basically I have a few questions:

What symptoms would indicate someone might need to be checked for Low T?

How old are men who usually have this problem?

What kind of treatment options are there for this? What are the side effects for that treatment?

Have any of you had (personal or know someone who has) experience with Low T? Care to share the story of how you figured out you needed to see a doctor/how they diagnosed it/what they did to treat it?

Oh and just to clarify, I'm talking about Low testosterone in men, not women. Not sure if it's ever a problem in women but I'm curious how it effects men.

Jimmy Clayton

Feb 27, 2008
I have some experience in this area coming from a fitness/endurance training/weight lifting background, so the same issues may not be applicable to your specific interests.

But, here's some of what I do know.

Symptoms: lack of sexual motivation, unable to maintain an erection, inability to build muscle mass, hair can start thinning out a little. It is hard to explain using physical characteristics, but if someone has really low levels of testosterone, they will definitely know something is up. Generally, you just feel like a wet noodle, if that makes any sense.

Age: can happen to men of any age. Naturally, it is more common in older men. If you are younger <30 and have low test levels, there is probably something you're doing that is causing it.

Treatment options: A lot of issues like this can be dealt with by making some changes to the macronutrient breakdown of ones diet.

I had this issue last summer and it went a little something like this...

I was training hard, I was really heavy on protein and carbs, but was not getting enough fat in my diet. I talked to a few people who knew a lot more about me than human physiology, metabolism and performance. They recommended I boost my fat intake big time for about a week to see what happened. Stopped training, ate steak, bacon, butter and scrambled eggs for a week and everything was back to normal in no time.

(Before you say eating like that is unhealthy, it's not...)

Alternatively, you can always get some test boosters from a nutrition/bodybuilding store. Anything with Tribulus in it will probably do. The effectiveness of compounds like this when taken alone is somewhat negligible.

If Tribulus, combined with more saturated fat in the diet doesn't work, then it may be time to go see a doctor and get something a little more powerful. A basic blood test will give a clear view of the situation and the doc will be able to make a recommendation.

In general, I am not a big fan of using pharmaceuticals to deal with issues like his when 90% of the time, they can be fixed in other ways.

Just what I know, may or may not be helpful...

TS
TS
radfad88

radfad88

The Batman-O-Lantern
Mar 13, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Ok so from what I read on various websites I think it says that Low T affects both ability to perform sexually AND general interest in sex in the first place. So does that mean if a guy has the interest in sex, but has a hard time performing, then Low T is probably not the culprit?

Before anyone gets all suspicious I'm not asking for myself :o, a friend (acquaintance actually) was discussing this with a group of us girls today at lunch and it reminded me of all the "Low T" comments I see in here.

*also* When I brought it up she said the man in question can easily grow a full beard. Obviously I would think that facial hair was a testosterone thing too.

TS
TS
radfad88

radfad88

The Batman-O-Lantern
Mar 13, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Though it is actually very possible to have low testosterone levels without showing any noticeable signs, especially in men over 50. Younger men are typically more symptomatic if they suffer from low test.

I'll have to find out how old the man in question is but the girl is 25 so I don't think it's likely that he's over 50. She probably would've mentioned that. "Blah blah can't get it up... Oh, and he's old as fuck.":mamoru:

BlazinBlazer Guy

Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.
Jul 24, 2002
Lansing, MI USA
You just like turning it into an issue because people have pointed out that you might suffer from it since you're a tiny little boy with no sex drive.

Wait... WHO is the "tiny little boy" here? Given your immature need to throw ridiculous insults around, I'd say you're the one who is the tiny little boy here.

A real, mature man like you purport to be wouldn't have to act utterly ridiculous like you seem to have an innate need to do.

chlywly

Dec 15, 2000
Your Mother
Hmm, well I know for the past year or two my erections are pretty weak, I have very little interest in sex and my hair has definitely thinned tremendously. Oh and yes I also don't gain muscle mass very easily, although I work out pretty hard.

GTLifter

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Durty Durty ATL Niggah
I have some experience in this area coming from a fitness/endurance training/weight lifting background, so the same issues may not be applicable to your specific interests.

But, here's some of what I do know.

Symptoms: lack of sexual motivation, unable to maintain an erection, inability to build muscle mass, hair can start thinning out a little. It is hard to explain using physical characteristics, but if someone has really low levels of testosterone, they will definitely know something is up. Generally, you just feel like a wet noodle, if that makes any sense.

Age: can happen to men of any age. Naturally, it is more common in older men. If you are younger <30 and have low test levels, there is probably something you're doing that is causing it.

Treatment options: A lot of issues like this can be dealt with by making some changes to the macronutrient breakdown of ones diet.

I had this issue last summer and it went a little something like this...

I was training hard, I was really heavy on protein and carbs, but was not getting enough fat in my diet. I talked to a few people who knew a lot more about me than human physiology, metabolism and performance. They recommended I boost my fat intake big time for about a week to see what happened. Stopped training, ate steak, bacon, butter and scrambled eggs for a week and everything was back to normal in no time.

(Before you say eating like that is unhealthy, it's not...)

Alternatively, you can always get some test boosters from a nutrition/bodybuilding store. Anything with Tribulus in it will probably do. The effectiveness of compounds like this when taken alone is somewhat negligible.

If Tribulus, combined with more saturated fat in the diet doesn't work, then it may be time to go see a doctor and get something a little more powerful. A basic blood test will give a clear view of the situation and the doc will be able to make a recommendation.

In general, I am not a big fan of using pharmaceuticals to deal with issues like his when 90% of the time, they can be fixed in other ways.

Just what I know, may or may not be helpful...
:ugh:

diet changes and tribulus wont cure hypogonadism.

radfad, my dad was recently prescribed androgel (topical testosterone cream) because he's 63 and like every other 60+yr old man he was feeling a bit run down and couldn't recover from his workouts like h used to.

If a guy has an interest in sex and can get it up but can't perform (i.e. finish) other hormones can be the issue but it's more than likely not testosterone.

Jimmy Clayton

Feb 27, 2008
diet changes and tribulus wont cure hypogonadism.

As I mentioned in my specific case, my low test was caused by large caloric deficits for long periods of time combined with almost no fat in my diet and copious amounts of endurance training.

Not everyone will respond to dietary changes, especially if they are older and are just eating a normal diet without any kind of training. But, there were no specifics mentioned in the OP, so I just shared my experience.

Everybodies mileage will vary...

THoC

Feb 5, 2007
although the low T thing has become a running joke on here, it can be the cause of a lot of guys lack of sexual desire.

also, jimmy.... i could be wrong and dont feel like researching, but from what i remember in school hair thinning is not an indicator of low T.... it can be caused by the hair follicle turning T into dihydrotestosterone.

Jimmy Clayton

Feb 27, 2008
also, jimmy.... i could be wrong and dont feel like researching, but from what i remember in school hair thinning is not an indicator of low T.... it can be caused by the hair follicle turning T into dihydrotestosterone.

I could be wrong too, but it was just something I experienced. Could have been the T, could have been something else...

peoplescar

There is scientific data to support the increased prevalence of low testosterone levels among men in this country. It's not always the cause of low libido but considering how often it happens it's something to think about.

think it has to do with most men being lazy fat shits these days?

cuz i do.

GTLifter

Banned
Feb 28, 2005
Durty Durty ATL Niggah
think it has to do with most men being lazy fat shits these days?

cuz i do.
Increased bf% do cause an increase in estrogen and decrease in testosterone in men so that's definitely one of the causes. Also, women pissing out estrogen/progesterone into the water supply from bc pills and the use of plastics for cooking are also part of it.

Ep

I had a blood test done last year to see if I had low t and mine was around 250 (normal levels are 200-800, so I was extremely low). I decided to get it done because I had a nearly non-existent libido and didn't feel motivated enough to change it. I didn't think low t was the culprit, but I was curious anyway.

How old are you? Did they put you on HRT?

ccampb6

OT Supporter
Dec 17, 2003
Little Rock, AR
I have low test. I've been on HRT for a month or so now. Normal range for test is like 300-800. I was at 180. I really didn't have a lack or sexual desire or have problems with erections. I've had a really hard time loosing weight. Since I got on it, life in general seems to be much better. I haven't really had an increase in sexual desire at all. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Ep

I have low test. I've been on HRT for a month or so now. Normal range for test is like 300-800. I was at 180. I really didn't have a lack or sexual desire or have problems with erections. I've had a really hard time loosing weight. Since I got on it, life in general seems to be much better. I haven't really had an increase in sexual desire at all. If you have any other questions, let me know.

How old are you?

BlazinBlazer Guy

Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.
Jul 24, 2002
Lansing, MI USA
So you're a little dude, with no sex drive, AND your moody... might want to get your test levels checked.

:rofl: I love how you think you know me.

God, your language makes me want to kill myself and my test isn't low at all.

What's the matter? Am I operating above your reading level? :mamoru:

Sadly it doesn't appear that I'm quite doing my job adequately... you haven't ACTUALLY killed yourself yet.

Must. Work. Harder. :x:

RichieHemingway

Jul 4, 2007
F & N guys brought that lovely phrase

It was funnier there.

What's the matter? Am I operating above your reading level? :mamoru:

Sadly it doesn't appear that I'm quite doing my job adequately... you haven't ACTUALLY killed yourself yet.

Must. Work. Harder. :x:

Totally, it's difficult to keep up.

Don't worry, I'm sure there's a lot of things you aren't doing adequately.

Keep posting I get closer every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448