TECH Macbook vs. MBP - Opinions please :x:

strykker

Dec 23, 2006
Dallas, Tx
So I've finally made my mind up to get a MacBook since the prices on the old generation ones have dropped quite a bit. Looking over my options I've decided on a refurb of either one of these two :

MBP : http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB133LL/A

MB : http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB404LL/A

Just looking at it they seem almost identical specs with the MBP being $250 more. So what are the advantages of going up to the MBP? Should I just get the MB and save the money? I will mainly be using this for itunes and web surfing, nothing too intense. Possibly a game or two but to be honest I doubt it as I do all of my gaming on my consoles.

Thanks brotatoes! :wavey:

Deepsix

Jan 22, 2004
Canada
the only real reason not to get a MBP is if you carry it around a lot. the extra weight would make a difference. otherwise almost everything about it is better. better display, aluminum body, backlit keys, FW800, expandable media slot, full size DVI.

TS
TS
strykker

strykker

Dec 23, 2006
Dallas, Tx
the only real reason not to get a MBP is if you carry it around a lot. the extra weight would make a difference. otherwise almost everything about it is better. better display, aluminum body, backlit keys, FW800, expandable media slot, full size DVI.
Ah, I didn't realize the display was better. That would make a difference.

Nhubie

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2004
MPLS, MN
Mac pro has a video card, which would be nice if you plan on playing games on it. But, if your main goal is to just productivity application, the mac book would be better. Why not get the new mac book?

TS
TS
strykker

strykker

Dec 23, 2006
Dallas, Tx
Mac pro has a video card, which would be nice if you plan on playing games on it. But, if your main goal is to just productivity application, the mac book would be better. Why not get the new mac book?
Price - I can get the old gen macbook for $1099 refurb and the new one for the same specs are like $500 more

bowrofl

Aug 20, 2005
Toronto, Canadia
Seriously, for your needs, don't waste your money.... I do what you do + light video/audio/image editing & web design, and I just got the new Aluminum MacBook, 2.4GHz... it's perfect, and with 4GB of RAM, super speedy.

I also have a powerful desktop /w 22" monitor however, so I don't need a powerhouse laptop with an incredible display. It's all about your needs.

Valence Bond

Just a theory...
OT Supporter
Oct 13, 2002
Adelaide, SA
I previously had a PowerBook G4 1.25GHz with the 15" screen... this time around, I wanted something smaller so I went with a MacBook instead of the MBP

Nhubie

OT Supporter
Jun 13, 2004
MPLS, MN
Price - I can get the old gen macbook for $1099 refurb and the new one for the same specs are like $500 more

I thought that Steve job said all the old mac book are under 1k now?

There are a lot of nice features in the new mac book, it might be worth checking it out.

TS
TS
strykker

strykker

Dec 23, 2006
Dallas, Tx
Thanks for the input, I think I've finally decided which way to go.

Will order tomorrow and join the Mac Crew :bowdown:

bagged

monsta truck
May 20, 2003
Oregon
yea all the refurbs are a fat deal right now. refurb 2.4 blackbooks are a fly deal at $1099(I paid $1499 for mine in August), much better than the $999 entry level whitebook. apple's refurbs are essentially brand new products, and have the exact same warranty as a brand new one. I have been seriously debating picking up a refurb 2.4 MBP(Old version) they had them for $1349

99MustangGTman

I was dealing with the same issue, decided the MB is a better option for me. Just a student here, no need for all those fancy options.

Kirk Hinrich

Sep 20, 2004
Brown Line
yea all the refurbs are a fat deal right now. refurb 2.4 blackbooks are a fly deal at $1099(I paid $1499 for mine in August), much better than the $999 entry level whitebook. apple's refurbs are essentially brand new products, and have the exact same warranty as a brand new one. I have been seriously debating picking up a refurb 2.4 MBP(Old version) they had them for $1349
the MBP used deal is just amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan