GAME Magic the Gathering Online

mixwell

weakkutz
Nov 17, 2001
Southern California
I'm just curious if anyone is playing this. I know some time back I remember seeing a thread posted with people playing the paper version of this game. Last time I played with 14+ years ago, and stopped just before 5th edition came out. Randomly decided to try this game out again and liking it so far. If you play this game, feel free to add me.

MTGO name: wigglez

Looking for any type of advice on how I should eventually work my way into tournaments. I'm not going to be super competitive, but want to get good enough to win once in a while to get boosters and trade them for more tickets =)

TS
TS
mixwell

mixwell

weakkutz
Nov 17, 2001
Southern California
Real competitive MTG is so expensive. :wtc:

Yeah I'm sure it can be. I don't plan on trying to be real competitive. I'm super casual right now and know very little about decks and such. My goal is to basically do booster drafts and get decent at it to at least win every once in a while. From there, probably do constructed decks as I'll have a wider variety of cards. I don't plan on spending hundreds each week. Maybe a couple of booster drafts each week so I can slowly build my card collection up and learn about the different varieties of decks.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they talk about certain decks and such. Hoping to eventually learn what combos of cards go well together =)

I just thought I'd see if anyone here plays and if they ever want to play sometime. I put together a standard deck last night with the very little cards I have. It's not very good, but I've won a few games =)

bobide

Jun 14, 2005
Dallas
I read that they are making a MTG that would be sort of like FF:Tactics in that you have to position and move your cards around.

tomohr

look again!
OT Supporter
May 12, 2009
Not Chicago, IL
funny that I was just taking some time to read about magic online today... my buddy was just talking to me about magic this weekend, and I started to think and read about it again... going to head home and download... will let you know what my user name is, cause I can't remember it

looking forward to playing

tomohr

look again!
OT Supporter
May 12, 2009
Not Chicago, IL
I read that they are making a MTG that would be sort of like FF:Tactics in that you have to position and move your cards around.
I read that if you stare at the cards long enough, they come to life... and no I don't have any links to validate my claims either
:mamoru:

but seriously... links?

TS
TS
mixwell

mixwell

weakkutz
Nov 17, 2001
Southern California
also, check this out

http://www.magicworkstation.com/

can play magic on this, obviously not MtG:O, but you can play for free after paying initial price

I've heard of that before. Any idea how it works? Is it just a client which basically has all the cards and you own all of them for free and just build decks? If so, I think that kind of takes the fun out of trying to earn your own cards, but great for trying out possible decks to make for MTGO.

alkalinesolo

Jul 2, 2007
I thought about trying it out, but I'm not going to pay full price for virtual cards. I'm not even going to pay full price for real cards anymore!

Tan_Man

Jun 23, 2004
Ontario
I've heard of that before. Any idea how it works? Is it just a client which basically has all the cards and you own all of them for free and just build decks? If so, I think that kind of takes the fun out of trying to earn your own cards, but great for trying out possible decks to make for MTGO.

yeah its a client to build and manage decks. i use it build and test my decks before i build them irl

tomohr

look again!
OT Supporter
May 12, 2009
Not Chicago, IL
you can also play online though, so its not like you just have all the cards but can't do anything with them... Of course there is an allure to doing it on magic online, but its just so much cheaper on magic workstation lol

TS
TS
mixwell

mixwell

weakkutz
Nov 17, 2001
Southern California
you can also play online though, so its not like you just have all the cards but can't do anything with them... Of course there is an allure to doing it on magic online, but its just so much cheaper on magic workstation lol

hmmm that's tempting. I haven't investing anything into the game besides the $10 start up fee. I'm still unsure how much I want to really invest in on this game. Not having a lot of cards and not knowing what type of decks to make/play doesn't help. I haven't done drafts before, but they sound like fun and better than just opening boosters themselves.

I understand how the above poster stated they wouldn't pay full price for online cards. It is a bit ridiculous that they are full price and you can't even redeem individual cards unless you have the full set.

tomohr

look again!
OT Supporter
May 12, 2009
Not Chicago, IL
It is the major suck that you don't get them irl... If i were you I would get magic workstation and make and play decks for free... And us newbs can talk deck strategy and not worry about spendin' cash

TS
TS
mixwell

mixwell

weakkutz
Nov 17, 2001
Southern California
It is the major suck that you don't get them irl... If i were you I would get magic workstation and make and play decks for free... And us newbs can talk deck strategy and not worry about spendin' cash

well I'd only like to get them IRL so I could maybe even sell them. I'm not sure how I would go about selling them on MTGO. I know I won't be playing MTGO for the rest of my life and when I do stop, I may just keep the account in case I return. But I'd like to know I can sell my investment like other online games I've played.

I think the workstation would be awesome as a supplement for me to build a deck and try it out before I bought them in MTGO. Being able to enter tournaments and do drafts in MTGO sounds a lot more fun than just building a deck with endless possibilities and just playing them over and over again. I have the money, I just don't want to be spending hundreds on it each month like I did as a kid. Almost all of my allowance that I earned went to cards back then =X

tomohr

look again!
OT Supporter
May 12, 2009
Not Chicago, IL
well I'd only like to get them IRL so I could maybe even sell them. I'm not sure how I would go about selling them on MTGO. I know I won't be playing MTGO for the rest of my life and when I do stop, I may just keep the account in case I return. But I'd like to know I can sell my investment like other online games I've played.

I think the workstation would be awesome as a supplement for me to build a deck and try it out before I bought them in MTGO. Being able to enter tournaments and do drafts in MTGO sounds a lot more fun than just building a deck with endless possibilities and just playing them over and over again. I have the money, I just don't want to be spending hundreds on it each month like I did as a kid. Almost all of my allowance that I earned went to cards back then =X
I'm just getting back in to the game as well, and I have Magic workstation from when I was playing last time, so I'm gonna be sticking to that. If you decide to get it let me know and we can play some. I still have cards on MtG:O, but the collection is pretty worthless... and I don't really have a decent computer to play it on, but we can play there too

TS
TS
mixwell

mixwell

weakkutz
Nov 17, 2001
Southern California
I'm just getting back in to the game as well, and I have Magic workstation from when I was playing last time, so I'm gonna be sticking to that. If you decide to get it let me know and we can play some. I still have cards on MtG:O, but the collection is pretty worthless... and I don't really have a decent computer to play it on, but we can play there too

sure I'll let you know. I'm actually having a lot of fun only having limited cards and not like the most powerful deck out there. Trying to get into pauper decks as I have been given common cards here and there.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I play mtgo on occasion. Used to play hardcore back in the day from revised through ice age.

I played uw control last type ii and I'm playing ub control and rdw and some kuldotha this time around.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I might get on mws though. At least to test decks before I build another $700 deck, lol

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I want to get back into paper magic but I don't have the time or desire to drive out and travel to tournaments or FNMs

TS
TS
mixwell

mixwell

weakkutz
Nov 17, 2001
Southern California
I want to get back into paper magic but I don't have the time or desire to drive out and travel to tournaments or FNMs

too much lewt speak =) lol honestly have no idea what all those abbreviations mean, even though I've seen them before. I think MTGO is the way to go now. No point really with the paper stuff since you can just play at home with a lot more people. I'm sure it is a lot more fun in person though. Let me know if you do get back into MTGO. Trying to find more people to play with. Trying to build a pauper deck right now with my limited cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19