SRS Masters Crew... vSchool

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
Does where it's from really matter to most people where you got your masters from? I can imagine if you got it from a prestigious school it could help influence future jobs. I just question if the difference between a B-Class school and a C/D-Class school really will make any difference? Looking at online only and part time.

My GPA for my bachelors was shitty, like 2.4. I really didn't give a flying fuck about school other than graduating. I'm already doing good in life (this is OT, we are all 6-7 figure incomes), have a lot of management experience, work on exciting projects (literally space stuff).

The MBA probably won't make much of a difference in my job outlook but my company will pay for it. So I feel obligated to go get it. Just trying to figure out if going out and working hard to get a good GMAT to overcome my shitty GPA to get into a B-Class school is worth it.

TS
TS
Tenny

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
If the company is paying for it, why not.
Well yeah, but the question really is does the school matter THAT much later in life. At least between a b-class school and C/D Class schools. I feel if I got a good GMAT score I can probably get into most decent ones pretty easily. I can get into shitty ones now pretty easily.

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003
Depends on the industry and position. Assuming nothing specialized, MBA is a checkmark and school is a minor consideration (hell, coming from your potential hiring manager's state school alma mater is probably better than Yale). Top schools are as much networking as education.

Reactions: Faikius and Tenny

TigreTek

omega member
OT Supporter
Oct 8, 2001
I can't comment on the MBA in specific though my gut tells me that you won't regret trying to get into a higher tier school. I'm a semester away from finishing my MSW, nobody gives a flying fuck where I got my worthless degree from :rofl:

Lug

OT Supporter
May 3, 2017
Bay Area
Seems with your experience a C/D class program would be boring and not much of an increase in knowledge.

onyourchin

Aug 31, 2007
SF
Uhhhh. The material may be roughly the same, but you'll be pushed harder by better professors, TAs, and your peers, and I think the real benefit of better schools is building your professional network

kitty

Uppity ass cat-changing name from kitty to Karen
OT Supporter
Jul 23, 2004
Purgatory
Uhhhh. The material may be roughly the same, but you'll be pushed harder by better professors, TAs, and your peers, and I think the real benefit of better schools is building your professional network
This. Also, at the masters level, at least with MBA programs I’m familiar with, you can only get A’s/B’s after one or two C’s you are asked to leave.

Reactions: stevezissou
TS
TS
Tenny

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
if you're trying to switch industries - top 10-15 mandatory
Depends on the industry and position. Assuming nothing specialized, MBA is a checkmark and school is a minor consideration (hell, coming from your potential hiring manager's state school alma mater is probably better than Yale). Top schools are as much networking as education.
Not planning a switch in industry. I'm a government contractor for NASA (been for 18 years) I am in project management. I run a couple programs currently. The only potential to change industries is if something falls apart and would probably look to Oil and Gas... becuase houston.

Seems with your experience a C/D class program would be boring and not much of an increase in knowledge.
I really am looking at it more as a checkbox than better intellectual experience. Of course I want to learn new stuff, but most stuff is geared towards actual business's rather than government stuff.

Finest

OG #93
Mar 16, 2000
Wisconsin
Well yeah, but the question really is does the school matter THAT much later in life. At least between a b-class school and C/D Class schools. I feel if I got a good GMAT score I can probably get into most decent ones pretty easily. I can get into shitty ones now pretty easily.

Again, if you're already working and they're paying for it, you don't need the prestige of a top 10 MBA school since you're already in. It's those that have no work experience and want to get into some place big that would be looking to place at Wharton or similar.

Gaunt

blood for the blood god
OT Supporter
Apr 16, 2005
KC
unless you are going to the top level MBA schools, no. as long as it isn't some poverty school like Kaplan or "university" of phoenix

pick a mid level state school or private.

from what I have heard, it is better to be in-person classes than virtual. it pays to rub shoulders with people in school and make connections.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Does where it's from really matter to most people where you got your masters from? I can imagine if you got it from a prestigious school it could help influence future jobs. I just question if the difference between a B-Class school and a C/D-Class school really will make any difference? Looking at online only and part time.

My GPA for my bachelors was shitty, like 2.4. I really didn't give a flying fuck about school other than graduating. I'm already doing good in life (this is OT, we are all 6-7 figure incomes), have a lot of management experience, work on exciting projects (literally space stuff).

The MBA probably won't make much of a difference in my job outlook but my company will pay for it. So I feel obligated to go get it. Just trying to figure out if going out and working hard to get a good GMAT to overcome my shitty GPA to get into a B-Class school is worth it.
Really depends on your industry and what employers are looking for.

A lot more schools these days are waving GMAT requirement if you have relevant work experience as well.

Just don't go to one of the bottom tier University of phoenix type online MBA type programs make sure it is a school where if you told someone they would have at least heard of it.

Reactions: Mr. Kitty Litter

eric5678

striving for mediocrity
OT Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
H-TOWN burbs
is an mba really an increase of knowledge?
Nope.

CHECK

THAT

BOX

Only thing you'll regret is when you're in a Tier1 MBA program working your ass off when you could've enrolled in a commuter state school and written a paper on the virtues of Wall Street and Glengarry Glen Ross

Reactions: 93rx7

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor